Would this game have sold better if it had been a traditional fighter?

#1CLupulaPosted 2/9/2013 8:40:32 AM
Would this game have sold better if it had been a traditional fighter? - Results (95 votes)
Yes
29.47% (28 votes)
No
70.53% (67 votes)
This poll is now closed.
From the moment this was announced, some people wondered if making this a Smash Brothers-style game instead of something in the style of UMVC3 or Mortal Kombat was a mistake.

Now that the game has been out for a while and generally is considered a failure, what do you think? Should they have stayed with a more traditional style? Or would that have not made a difference, in the end?
#2RainbowsaurusPosted 2/9/2013 8:53:35 AM
I don't think so. It just doesn't seem like it'd really work as a normal fighter, imo.

I probably wouldn't have bought it either, I don't really like traditional fighters. Part of the reason I like Smash so much.
---
http://oi49.tinypic.com/23vhlcl.jpg
http://thebest404pageever.com/swf/successful_troll.swf
#3CLupula(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 8:58:28 AM
One of the reasons why I think it might have was that they designed the game, aiming to please the FGC, but did it in a style that the majority of that community doesn't accept. I think if they had tried to steer this more towards the type of games that actually do sell well on the PS3, they might have had a better chance at sales. Of course, the roster would have still been a problem, but I think way less so if it had been a solid 2.5D fighter.
#4wwinterj25Posted 2/9/2013 9:07:10 AM(edited)
No. See I'm not a big fan of traditional fighters so I doubt I'd have bought this if it was like Street Fighter. I'm sure quite a few folk who bought this wanted a Smash Brothers on the Playstation and that's what this is more or less.

The reason why it didn't sell much is simply because the time it was released in my opinion. November 2012 was and always is a busy year for games and a lot get pushed aside for Halo, COD or any other yearly franchise. Sure this game was delayed and maybe that was the issue as if it came out in October it would have got a head start.

Still it is what it is and I really hope a sequel will happen because if it doesn't it would be a wasted opportunity as what they do have here is really good it just needs more to be great. I honestly believe this game could be the foundations of a series that will bring Sony the level of success Smash has for Nintendo. Sony just need to pony up the cash and get serious about it.
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing - GamerTag: wwinterj/PSN wwinterj
#5BkzUziPosted 2/9/2013 9:16:29 AM
No, I wouldn't have bought it then.
#6I_Wanna_CookiePosted 2/9/2013 9:27:00 AM
If its anything like SF, I wouldve passed on it for sure.

If its anything like Tekken or MK, I wouldnt have passed.

I guess it depends what sort of fighter its similar to.

Also, PSAS fatalities plz
---
I'm handsome.
#7CLupula(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 9:30:14 AM
Interesting that a lot of people who say that they bought it aren't fans of fighters. Yet, it seems people who were, who they were actually trying to aim the game towards, didn't buy it. I know the Smash Brothers style was to try to get as large an audience as possible, but if that strategy failed, would it not have been better to just go with something that is already proven to sell on PS3.

I mean, I see some people saying it might not have worked as a traditional fighter, but how would it be different from say the Marvel vs. Capcom games, where there are a lot of characters who aren't usually fighters in them?
#8I_phantomPosted 2/9/2013 9:51:43 AM
It would have been better if it was like Smash or a traditional fighter and not the awkward bastard child we ended up with.
#9blaze19_0XPosted 2/9/2013 11:09:29 AM(edited)
I can't think of a single person other than myself and Taizuku on this board that are coming from a traditional fighting game background.

True this board is a very small sample but it may still be indicative of the fanbase in general. Almost everyone it seems are coming into this without any prior fighting game background (on the competitive level). A lot have played Smash but again only casually.

So if it was a traditional fighter with a massive learning curve and being executionally demanding like Street Fighter and a ton of high level competition, most would have been completely turned off by it.

Also the PS3 is already oversaturated by traditional fighters. Why would people buy PSASBR as a traditional fighter when they can get Marvel or Street Fighter or a whole host of other superior 2D fighters?

Of course, this game sold like trash anyway, so I suppose you could argue making it a traditional fighter wouldn't have made it any worse.

At any rate I PERSONALLY would have preferred it to be a traditional fighter because then maybe it wouldn't have been so fundamentally flawed.
#10blaze19_0XPosted 2/9/2013 11:08:05 AM(edited)
I_phantom posted...
It would have been better if it was like Smash or a traditional fighter and not the awkward bastard child we ended up with.

I also agree with this.

What they came up with is just too fundamentally flawed.

I would personally have rather had a traditional fighter or a straight up Smash clone. The Super system is just too limiting.