Why PS All Stars failed

#1Evolution_basicPosted 2/10/2013 5:38:16 PM
I wrote this 5 days prior to Sony's decision to part ways with SuperBot. It was featured on IGN's front page garnering tens of thousands of views and nearly 800 comments. Just wanted to share it with the board here.

IGN link: http://www.ign.com/blogs/tehcanadian/2013/01/31/opinion-why-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-failed

New Gamer Nation original piece: http://www.newgamernation.com/opinion-why-playstation-all-stars-failed/
---
-------
A lover and a retired fighter. The grizzled veteran of gaming.
#2Niyel7Posted 2/10/2013 5:39:03 PM
Fresh and original topic
#3Chzrm3Posted 2/10/2013 5:42:06 PM
Oh, that's cool that you wrote it - we saw it and pretty much all agreed. XD

The one thing I'd say is that the super system didn't inherently cause them to fail - it was the lack of other options coupled with a new fighting system that turned off a lot of people. IMO, if they'd had a traditional health mode or a Smash-style % mode, that would've gone a long way in convincing people to buy the game.

As it was, the game's design and direction seemed to be treated so apathetically that it's not surprising that they only included one way to fight. Still, it's disappointing.
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#4Evolution_basic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 9:21:09 AM
Niyel7 posted...
Fresh and original topic

It is because it was my take on it.
---
-------
A lover and a retired fighter. The grizzled veteran of gaming.
#5blaze19_0XPosted 2/11/2013 9:26:46 AM(edited)
Your article was posted here before.

The only thing you were wrong about was you saying Smash is simple and PSASBR is too complex. Trust me, it's extremely complex at the competitive level. More than PSASBR.

If complexity was an issue than Smash surely would have failed as well.
#6legendofskylandPosted 2/11/2013 9:36:57 AM
blaze19_0X posted...

The only thing you were wrong about was you saying Smash is simple and PSASBR is too complex. Trust me, it's extremely complex at the competitive level. More than PSASBR.

>Implying you have to be a "SUPA ELITE PRO" to have fun with SSB

Let me guess. You always play Smash with items off and only play on Final Destination.
#7EtherPhoenixPosted 2/11/2013 9:40:22 AM
legendofskyland posted...
blaze19_0X posted...

Let me guess. You always play Smash with items off and only play on Final Destination.

Don't forget "Fox only"! :p
---
I left myself logged in on my friend's CPU and he changed my sig to this ^_^;
Official Breloom of the Pokemon X boards
#8An_Unkind_RGNPosted 2/11/2013 9:42:36 AM
EtherPhoenix posted...
blaze19_0X posted...

Don't forget "Fox only"! :p

Either that or Captain Falcon only. God knows what you have gotten yourself into if you run into a really good Captain Falcon user.
---
You gotta believe! That's how you receive! But if you can't relieve, then she is not doing it right.
~Cave Johnson: Say Goodbye Caroline!~
#9imsalingawayPosted 2/11/2013 9:42:52 AM
I think it failed purely due to roster. People wouldn't care about the kill system if they got Cloud, Crash, Lara, Spyro, Gex and Tomba.

Gex is kinda random, but you know what I mean. More PS1 recognition.
#10sonicgx101Posted 2/11/2013 9:43:28 AM
blaze19_0X posted...

But I thought they use items and play as Ike :O
---
Nathan Drake we got some propane to serve!