Did PSASBR really have bad advertising?

#1Garfield64Posted 2/11/2013 10:27:43 PM
Robot Chicken, awesome intro commercial, demo kiosk, wall scrolls, banners, ps+ demo, demo to everyone, reveals at all major gaming conventions, paul gale - Results (47 votes)
Fans just act like it got bad advertising as a scape goat for failing in sales. It got way more advertising then most.
38.3% (18 votes)
Sony should of spent more money on advertising then games production values! If they did, then twice that!
61.7% (29 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Discuss ^_^
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#2ClanoraPosted 2/11/2013 10:34:40 PM
It didn't have bad advertising. It had NO advertising.
---
By copying this signature, you accept Maxwell as your lord and savior.
#3Retroxgamer0Posted 2/11/2013 10:36:29 PM(edited)
i thought it was advertised heavily. they plastered it all over youtube, twitter, facebook, made a commercial, put demo kiosks and did an open and closed beta. most games dont get a single beta let alone two.
#4BombermanFanaticPosted 2/11/2013 10:36:15 PM
That live action trailer should have been on TV.
---
I enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog.
# Of other people who have: 65,including taoxadasa
#5Retroxgamer0Posted 2/11/2013 10:37:29 PM
also they advertised the hell out of the dlc on tv, interviews, youtube, twitter, etc... everyone and their mom knows about the kat and emmett dlc.
#6ArmoredElderPosted 2/11/2013 10:42:28 PM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
also they advertised the hell out of the dlc on tv, interviews, youtube, twitter, etc... everyone and their mom knows about the kat and emmett dlc.

I haven't seen ads for it.
---
"There is nothing more dark than one's own soul..." Mr. Selacia, Metalocalypse
PSN: VonStoogiN Feel free to add me. I usually play PS All-Stars
#73D3Posted 2/11/2013 10:42:59 PM
Sony sucks at advertising period.
---
Because Naughty Dog
Joel+Ellie=Jelly...You Jelly?
#8Chzrm3Posted 2/11/2013 10:43:11 PM
Unfortunately, a lot of the advertising it had wasn't very valuable.

They ran commercials. On TV, too! I saw one on ESPN with my dad. However, here's the thing....

In 1999, as a little kid, one of my favorite commercials was the Smash Bros one. DK, Yoshi, Mario and Pikachu (four of my favorite characters in the world at the time, =) ) were just walking around and they start beating the crap out of each other. It's random, it's funny - and hey, in between all that, there's clips of gameplay. And the game looks really cool! And it combines the characters, and you can fight!

After watching that commercial once, I knew I had to get the game, and every time it came on my brother and I would go "OH LOOK ITS ON AGAIN!!!" and get all excited.

PSASBR's commercial had no gameplay. That's just asinine. I mean, that's fundamentally dumb, on a level that I can't even comprehend. It was literally just 30 seconds of some random live action battle that was dark and brooding instead of light-hearted and funny, and then it goes "Playstation All Stars Battle Royale - November 20th"

Are you kidding? Most people probably thought it was a commercial for some weird reality TV show where people cosplay as Playstation characters and try to beat each other up. XD

SHOW SOME GAMEPLAY!

But this is a moot point now, since Sony fired that marketing firm and moved onto a new one.

Honestly, though, now that you bring this all up, there was a good bit of marketing. A bunch of people probably played the game in Gamestop, Target, etc. There was definitely more awareness of it than the sales suggest. There had to be! The individual character reveal trailers on youtube have anywhere from 300,000 to 500,000 views, depending on the character. By all accounts, the game hasn't even sold close to 500,000, and probably not even 300,000!

So there was some bad marketing, and the TV spots were unacceptably bad. I don't know how anybody thought it made sense to not show gameplay. You seriously could've done a generic "hey here's PSASBR, lolol isn't it fun, well you can buy it soon!" commercial and that would've been more effective than what they ran.

I feel like a broken record, but this entire project was just so embarrassingly mismanaged. It's a miracle they sold any copies at all.
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#9RoyalShinePosted 2/11/2013 11:38:06 PM
I've never seen advertisements for the game. The way I heard about it was word of mouth and hearing it being called a "SSB rip off"
---
3DS FC: 1032-1536-0751 ||| Xbox GT: KickassPudding ||| PSN: KickassPudding ||| Nintendo ID: mattzarr
#10PirateKing290Posted 2/11/2013 11:39:48 PM
I think it's an over exaggeration. I saw it EVERYWHERE on Gamefaqs and such.

The real problem with it is the game play they DID show was just chaotic FFA stuff, never technical 2v2 and 1v1 stuff that draws more people in.
---
PSN: Weeeler
http://www.youtube.com/user/LPWeewer