Why not more ps1 classic mascot characters?

#1MjolnirsMightPosted 2/11/2013 11:04:52 PM
Croc, Jersey Devil, Gex... Even if there's no crash, why wasn't the ps1 represented a little more? I read that the "copyright" had expired or something? Does that even happen? Why would that make a difference?
I love this game. Its just that when I first caught wind of it, I was hoping for a LOT more nostalgia. This is not rhetorical. I'd really like to know why they didn't pull out all the stops on the more classic characters.

Be gentle... I've never posted before.
#2Stardust6410Posted 2/11/2013 11:10:14 PM
I agree about having more PS1 characters. To tell the truth though, my nostalgia was all furfilled with just PaRappa being in the game seeing that PaRapper the Rapper was the first game i've ever played. BUT YES! We need more PS1 characters!!!
#3BluBlue4Posted 2/11/2013 11:11:24 PM
Crash and Spyro are owned by someone other than Sony. We have no idea how negotiations went, or even if there were any. It's likely a similar story for alot of characters. It could have been that they wanted far too much cash, not trusting the game devs, or anything.

That and maybe wanting to have more relevant characters.
---
For what's it worth, your warning saved me from losing 5 seconds. You're sacrifice will not have been in vain...! - Raycon
#4christiankid7Posted 2/11/2013 11:13:27 PM
Well, Sony doesn't own any of those characters and they haven't been used for so long it might be hard to find the people who own their rights. Gex is owned by Square and they refused to put anyone in, for example.
---
The Official ANTI-VENOM of the UMVC3 boards
The official Sir Daniel Fortesque of the PSASBR boards
#5Jak13Posted 2/11/2013 11:15:18 PM(edited)
why wasn't the ps1 represented a little more?

PS1:

1. Spike
2. Toro
3. Heihachi
4. Sweet Tooth
5. Sir Daniel
6. Parappa

PS2:

1. Jak and Daxter
2. Ratchet and Clank
3. Kratos
4. Sly
5. Raiden
6. Dante
7. Radec

PS3:

1. Fat Princess
2. Drake
3. Sackboy
4. Nariko
5. Cole
6. Big Daddy

Seems pretty even to me, unless I got some wrong.
---
"Ganondorf needs to forget everything he's ever learned about tennis and train to become a competent sword fighter." - RATTfink138
#6BluBlue4Posted 2/11/2013 11:15:36 PM
christiankid7 posted...
Well, Sony doesn't own any of those characters and they haven't been used for so long it might be hard to find the people who own their rights. Gex is owned by Square and they refused to put anyone in, for example.

Is there anyway to know if they actually refused? Maybe they simply weren't asked.
---
For what's it worth, your warning saved me from losing 5 seconds. You're sacrifice will not have been in vain...! - Raycon
#7ConradimusPrimePosted 2/11/2013 11:31:57 PM
Because all the characters are awful...
---
http://nefworks.blogspot.com
#8LeagultPosted 2/11/2013 11:40:57 PM
Because they want to advertise PS3 games.
#9sinncrossPosted 2/11/2013 11:54:12 PM
BluBlue4 posted...
christiankid7 posted...

Is there anyway to know if they actually refused? Maybe they simply weren't asked.

no there isn't.

Crash/ Spyro seems pretty obvious due to comments made by Kendall. Lara we know why as well.

I don't recall any info on Gex though...
---
Movie Review Blog: http://cruizd.blogspot.com
Japan is so nice!
#10diebuster2Posted 2/11/2013 11:56:14 PM
Should be called Playstation All Stars: Modern Welfare.
---
One does not simply state a reasonable, negative opinion on GameFAQS without being called a troll.