I'm aware that this game has alot of air camping, but is that even a bad thing?

#1BluBlue4Posted 2/12/2013 1:46:21 AM
It sounds like bad gameplay and all, yet I'm still having fun. That's not to say that just because I'm having fun that it's not a problem. But I just don't see what's so bad about it.

High level gameplay tends to involve lot's of jumps but competent players seem to make it work just fine. That does make the game boring to watch, I'll admit that. Doesn't make the game bad, just different.

There should defiantly be more ways to punish jumps, but it's hardly a broken mess of a system.

I'm open to all rebuttals and high level dance competitions.
---
For what's it worth, your warning saved me from losing 5 seconds. You're sacrifice will not have been in vain...! - Raycon
#2Chzrm3Posted 2/12/2013 1:50:45 AM
If you're having fun, that's the most important thing! : D

Are you doing 1's, 2's, or FFA? 2's and FFA are pretty enjoyable regardless, because the pressure that other people set up creates so much chaos in FFA that nobody can really air camp safely.

In 2's, you can work with your teammate to really punish anyone in just about any situation. There's a gnarly combo I saw a Nariko/Kratos team doing where she'd stall in the air, then throw them down right into Kratos's L1. Pretty secksy, and it makes trying to air camp against that team insanely unsafe.

So it really depends on how you play this.
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#3BluBlue4(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 2:20:40 AM
Chzrm3 posted...
If you're having fun, that's the most important thing! : D

Are you doing 1's, 2's, or FFA? 2's and FFA are pretty enjoyable regardless, because the pressure that other people set up creates so much chaos in FFA that nobody can really air camp safely.

In 2's, you can work with your teammate to really punish anyone in just about any situation. There's a gnarly combo I saw a Nariko/Kratos team doing where she'd stall in the air, then throw them down right into Kratos's L1. Pretty secksy, and it makes trying to air camp against that team insanely unsafe.

So it really depends on how you play this.

I usually play 1v1. The matches feel a bit more intense and I've only got a single regular opponent locally. From what I understand the game was balanced with 2v2 in mind, so I know that air camping seems to affect this game mode the most. Still it doesn't break this type of gameplay.

I'm starting to fall in love with 2v2 for basically the reasons that you just gave. It's also the mode that I like Radec in the most.
---
For what's it worth, your warning saved me from losing 5 seconds. You're sacrifice will not have been in vain...! - Raycon
#4blaze19_0XPosted 2/12/2013 2:30:14 AM(edited)
1 vs 1 works in this game, no one is denying this. And it can certainly be fun...for the players.

The problems with air camping are:

1. It makes matches insanely boring to watch. It's the reason PSASBR will never become a true spectator game like Street Fighter or Smash. Nobody wants to watch people dance around in the air for 2 minutes before someone finally lands a hit only to rinse and repeat.

2. It severely limits options. That is to say the rest of the game has things like awesome AP burst combos, Dante's empty cancels, a wide variety of (ground) setups. And guess what? Air camping makes almost all of this useless. So it makes no sense.

3. It's too newbie friendly and safe. That is to say you can know NOTHING about this game, and if you air camp, that automatically makes you better than 95% of players out there. Knowing this simple information makes such a drastic difference. Take me for example. You know how I've said I've beaten 999s with below 10s? How did I do this? Just by knowing how safe air camping is and playing super patiently.

In the first ever gamefaqs tournaments that's how I got 3rd place with a below 10 Fat Princess taking out a 999 Raiden. I didn't even know her combos lol. All I knew was air camping=godly. And it's so easy to exploit.
#5blaze19_0XPosted 2/12/2013 2:33:22 AM
I think my personal biggest problem with air camping is it prevents any kind of real pressure being applied to your opponent and takes out much of the intensity in the game.

Getting destroyed? Just run away/air camp a bit and relieve the pressure. So you never have to think on your feet.

Which is the opposite of most fighting games.
#6LightEcoSagePosted 2/12/2013 2:34:42 AM
It actually is a major problem. Yes the game is fun, but that doesn't exclude the camping factor. Its like saying oh yeah COD is fun and the camping online players do is fine.

Air camping constantly is insanely annoying because in this game you can't really do a thing about it. With the way this game mechanics work and some people moves go some people can run around for ever. I have had some pains on stages like Invasion, Sly Cooper stage, etc. Its not fair nor fun when a player constantly does it. Its worst in ranked. Get level 3 as Drake or Jak then run the rest of the game.
---
"Jak, you are the Greatest of Heroes" ~Precursor Leader
#7LizardheartPosted 2/12/2013 2:45:43 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
I think my personal biggest problem with air camping is it prevents any kind of real pressure being applied to your opponent and takes out much of the intensity in the game.

Getting destroyed? Just run away/air camp a bit and relieve the pressure. So you never have to think on your feet.

Some characters still have ridiculous pressure abilities, namely Fatty P (who people are just discovering being broken when I called it out about a month ago when a surge of Fatties started placing in tourneys). Smart players know to time their attacks so that they hit the opponent when they are vulnerable, not just throw moves out hoping to hit. Hell, even Ratchet can do it with my jump cancel combo tech (which is on All Star Arena and Playstation All Stars Arena since it contains too many characters for GFAQs). Dante's frame trap block strings can even cause players to force blocking or risk getting blown up for pressing a button (lest that button is a giga punch or parry). I very well could be wrong but it seems to me your issue is the level of play at which you compete.

To conclude, I've been in plenty of intense matches against high level players. I've had adrenaline rushes I cannot say I've experienced in any other game like I do when I play the most elite of players. Saying that air camping takes out much of the intensity of the game tells me that you need to play more people at higher levels. The online tournaments are a great place to find some of the best competition PSASBR has to offer.
#8MosgusPosted 2/12/2013 3:59:20 AM
Nope.

I see it complained about all the time.

I keep waiting for it to become a problem but it never has.
#9MosgusPosted 2/12/2013 4:00:32 AM
Lizardheart posted...
blaze19_0X posted...

Some characters still have ridiculous pressure abilities, namely Fatty P (who people are just discovering being broken when I called it out about a month ago when a surge of Fatties started placing in tourneys). Smart players know to time their attacks so that they hit the opponent when they are vulnerable, not just throw moves out hoping to hit. Hell, even Ratchet can do it with my jump cancel combo tech (which is on All Star Arena and Playstation All Stars Arena since it contains too many characters for GFAQs). Dante's frame trap block strings can even cause players to force blocking or risk getting blown up for pressing a button (lest that button is a giga punch or parry). I very well could be wrong but it seems to me your issue is the level of play at which you compete.

To conclude, I've been in plenty of intense matches against high level players. I've had adrenaline rushes I cannot say I've experienced in any other game like I do when I play the most elite of players. Saying that air camping takes out much of the intensity of the game tells me that you need to play more people at higher levels. The online tournaments are a great place to find some of the best competition PSASBR has to offer.

I got into a random quick match with you the other day.
#10blaze19_0XPosted 2/12/2013 4:24:55 AM(edited)
Lizardheart posted...
blaze19_0X posted...

You are preaching to the wrong person.

I'm very well aware of the 1 vs 1 metagame as I've been here from the start. Trust me, any kind of pressure applied in PSASBR pales in comparison to other fighting games. I don't know your background but I doubt you've played any conventional fighters if you think otherwise.

Also, I was saying Fat Princess was top tier like a week after the game came out. People discovering it now is nothing new. And even she doesn't have any real pressure once you know how to deal with it. Heck I watched your set vs Dabuz when he was FP. He missed every single tech chase attempt and never at any point did you not have the option to run away when pressured. In fact, I saw you do this countless times.

Lastly, Dante doesn't have any real frame trap block strings as you can roll/jump out of them. And that's IF you land them in the first place in a game where you should never be on the ground much. I've said this before. Dante would be one of the best characters...if this was a ground based game.

In the early days, I played people like Dabuz quite a few times and I have seen your sets as well. I am fully aware of what high level play is like, and it's just not appealing as a spectator game.