I'm aware that this game has alot of air camping, but is that even a bad thing?

#11blaze19_0XPosted 2/12/2013 4:26:49 AM(edited)
With that being said I never denied PSASBR matches can be intense. I've had several intense 1 vs 1 sets. But that's only for the players.

What spectators see is two players jumping around for ages while occasionally hitting each other only for the situation to reset. And then the game becoming even MORE campy once super meters are gained.
#12KindertotenwaldPosted 2/12/2013 4:35:34 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
Lizardheart posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
I think my personal biggest problem with air camping is it prevents any kind of real pressure being applied to your opponent and takes out much of the intensity in the game.

Getting destroyed? Just run away/air camp a bit and relieve the pressure. So you never have to think on your feet.

Which is the opposite of most fighting games.

Some characters still have ridiculous pressure abilities, namely Fatty P (who people are just discovering being broken when I called it out about a month ago when a surge of Fatties started placing in tourneys). Smart players know to time their attacks so that they hit the opponent when they are vulnerable, not just throw moves out hoping to hit. Hell, even Ratchet can do it with my jump cancel combo tech (which is on All Star Arena and Playstation All Stars Arena since it contains too many characters for GFAQs). Dante's frame trap block strings can even cause players to force blocking or risk getting blown up for pressing a button (lest that button is a giga punch or parry). I very well could be wrong but it seems to me your issue is the level of play at which you compete.

To conclude, I've been in plenty of intense matches against high level players. I've had adrenaline rushes I cannot say I've experienced in any other game like I do when I play the most elite of players. Saying that air camping takes out much of the intensity of the game tells me that you need to play more people at higher levels. The online tournaments are a great place to find some of the best competition PSASBR has to offer.

You are preaching to the wrong person.

I'm very well aware of the 1 vs 1 metagame as I've been here from the start. Trust me, any kind of pressure applied in PSASBR pales in comparison to other fighting games. I don't know your background but I doubt you've played any conventional fighters if you think otherwise.

Also, I was saying Fat Princess was top tier like a week after the game came out. People discovering it now is nothing new. And even she doesn't have any real pressure once you know how to deal with it. Heck I watched your set vs Dabuz when he was FP. He missed every single tech chase attempt and never at any point did you not have the option to run away when pressured. In fact, I saw you do this countless times.

Lastly, Dante doesn't have any real frame trap block strings as you can roll/jump out of them. And that's IF you land them in the first place in a game where you should never be on the ground much. I've said this before. Dante would be one of the best characters...if this was a ground based game.

In the early days, I played people like Dabuz quite a few times and I have seen your sets as well. I am fully aware of what high level play is like, and it's just not appealing as a spectator game.

No offense but all you do is theorycraft :S
---
PSASBR: Big Daddy
PSN: Omnisignificance
#13Garfield64Posted 2/12/2013 4:43:22 AM
Games needs a few fixes to be perfect that would also get rid of air camping.

1. Supers useable in air (air versions)

2. All Supers created equal.
a. Level 1 supers can kill 1-2 people, no hit confirms.
b. Level 2 supers can kill 2-3 people, hit confirm ok.
c. Level 3 super can kill 4-6 people.

3. Ground and air dashes added, animation and movement added to air dodge.
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#14BluBlue4(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 5:21:45 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
1 vs 1 works in this game, no one is denying this. And it can certainly be fun...for the players.

The problems with air camping are:

1. It makes matches insanely boring to watch. It's the reason PSASBR will never become a true spectator game like Street Fighter or Smash. Nobody wants to watch people dance around in the air for 2 minutes before someone finally lands a hit only to rinse and repeat.

2. It severely limits options. That is to say the rest of the game has things like awesome AP burst combos, Dante's empty cancels, a wide variety of (ground) setups. And guess what? Air camping makes almost all of this useless. So it makes no sense.

3. It's too newbie friendly and safe. That is to say you can know NOTHING about this game, and if you air camp, that automatically makes you better than 95% of players out there. Knowing this simple information makes such a drastic difference. Take me for example. You know how I've said I've beaten 999s with below 10s? How did I do this? Just by knowing how safe air camping is and playing super patiently.

In the first ever gamefaqs tournaments that's how I got 3rd place with a below 10 Fat Princess taking out a 999 Raiden. I didn't even know her combos lol. All I knew was air camping=godly. And it's so easy to exploit.

1. I actually agreed with this point 'till I remembered a few of the high level matches I've seen on youtube. The best parts of voyeurism mixed in with some pretty good commentators. Then again maybe that's because I've got the game myself and I've spent some time with it. Having played the game isn't needed to enjoy UMVC3 gameplay vids. Doesn't bother me much though. This being a spectator friendly game wasn't really a selling point to me.

2. I really feel like agreeing here, seems like the jumps should cause those problems. But I still fall to burst combos, ground setups, and tech traps. Despite my high level X button mashing. I can also pull that stuff of on competent players. It seems like it should be very limiting, but it just doesn't seem to be.

3. I've seen some terrible lv999s. Alot of that might have been matchup inexperience on his part.

If you're opponent plays patiently too? This point actually sounds like those "Kratos is OP, my proof is that I can just forward square and I win all the time" posts. A tactic that is OP in the lower levels.

blaze19_0X posted...
I think my personal biggest problem with air camping is it prevents any kind of real pressure being applied to your opponent and takes out much of the intensity in the game.

Getting destroyed? Just run away/air camp a bit and relieve the pressure. So you never have to think on your feet.

In some ways I think your right, but exaggerating. Raiden and Sly are able to run away very well, but I think that's more about their movesets.

Maneuvering to put yourself in a better position to avoid attack is a pretty normal thing in fighting games. I disagree with you, but it's easy to see how you could get to the conclusion that you got to.
---
For what's it worth, your warning saved me from losing 5 seconds. You're sacrifice will not have been in vain...! - Raycon
#15BluBlue4(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 5:33:33 AM
LightEcoSage posted...
It actually is a major problem. Yes the game is fun, but that doesn't exclude the camping factor. Its like saying oh yeah COD is fun and the camping online players do is fine.

Air camping constantly is insanely annoying because in this game you can't really do a thing about it. With the way this game mechanics work and some people moves go some people can run around for ever. I have had some pains on stages like Invasion, Sly Cooper stage, etc. Its not fair nor fun when a player constantly does it. Its worst in ranked. Get level 3 as Drake or Jak then run the rest of the game.

Running opponents can be annoying. Do you play Kill Limit?

Lizardheart posted...
blaze19_0X posted...

Some characters still have ridiculous pressure abilities, namely Fatty P (who people are just discovering being broken when I called it out about a month ago when a surge of Fatties started placing in tourneys). Smart players know to time their attacks so that they hit the opponent when they are vulnerable, not just throw moves out hoping to hit. Hell, even Ratchet can do it with my jump cancel combo tech (which is on All Star Arena and Playstation All Stars Arena since it contains too many characters for GFAQs). Dante's frame trap block strings can even cause players to force blocking or risk getting blown up for pressing a button (lest that button is a giga punch or parry). I very well could be wrong but it seems to me your issue is the level of play at which you compete.

To conclude, I've been in plenty of intense matches against high level players. I've had adrenaline rushes I cannot say I've experienced in any other game like I do when I play the most elite of players. Saying that air camping takes out much of the intensity of the game tells me that you need to play more people at higher levels. The online tournaments are a great place to find some of the best competition PSASBR has to offer.

That Ratchet and Dante stuff sounds interesting. I don't really use those two, but I might spend some time looking through that later.

If my internet doesn't spontaneously crap all over me like last time I'll some of the tournaments. Me and Bluearkham's brother will crush you into into thousands of tiny lizards. Then adopt said lizards. I'm a reasonable person, you see.

Mosgus posted...
Nope.

I see it complained about all the time.

I keep waiting for it to become a problem but it never has.

You make good posts.
---
For what's it worth, your warning saved me from losing 5 seconds. You're sacrifice will not have been in vain...! - Raycon
#16BluBlue4(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 5:43:53 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
Lizardheart posted...
blaze19_0X posted...

You are preaching to the wrong person.

I'm very well aware of the 1 vs 1 metagame as I've been here from the start. Trust me, any kind of pressure applied in PSASBR pales in comparison to other fighting games. I don't know your background but I doubt you've played any conventional fighters if you think otherwise.

Also, I was saying Fat Princess was top tier like a week after the game came out. People discovering it now is nothing new. And even she doesn't have any real pressure once you know how to deal with it. Heck I watched your set vs Dabuz when he was FP. He missed every single tech chase attempt and never at any point did you not have the option to run away when pressured. In fact, I saw you do this countless times.

Lastly, Dante doesn't have any real frame trap block strings as you can roll/jump out of them. And that's IF you land them in the first place in a game where you should never be on the ground much. I've said this before. Dante would be one of the best characters...if this was a ground based game.

In the early days, I played people like Dabuz quite a few times and I have seen your sets as well. I am fully aware of what high level play is like, and it's just not appealing as a spectator game.

I'd like to see his response. I'd also be very interested in seeing some matches between you two. It wouldn't necessarily prove anyone right and the loser wouldn't be forever shamed. I just want to see it.

blaze19_0X posted...
With that being said I never denied PSASBR matches can be intense. I've had several intense 1 vs 1 sets. But that's only for the players.

What spectators see is two players jumping around for ages while occasionally hitting each other only for the situation to reset. And then the game becoming even MORE campy once super meters are gained.

A good game will likely get popular on gameplay, not stream monsters. So it possibly not having that spectator appeal doesn't seem like much of a loss at all.
---
#17BluBlue4(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 5:57:22 AM
Kindertotenwald posted...
blaze19_0X posted...

Blab blah blab blah....

No offense but all you do is theorycraft :S

I say we all compete in a 2v2. I'm on Kinder's team. Anyone with such misshapen emoticons has to have some skill.

Garfield64 posted...
Games needs a few fixes to be perfect that would also get rid of air camping.

1. Supers useable in air (air versions)

2. All Supers created equal.
a. Level 1 supers can kill 1-2 people, no hit confirms.
b. Level 2 supers can kill 2-3 people, hit confirm ok.
c. Level 3 super can kill 4-6 people.

3. Ground and air dashes added, animation and movement added to air dodge.

The air dodge looks fine to me. I'm not really against air dashes, but it might be unneeded. Dante and Heihachi might end up with spare moves.

If all supers are created equal wont we need equal movesets/ap gain?

All or at least some of the supers having air activation seems like a great idea.
---
#18sinncrossPosted 2/12/2013 6:35:59 AM
he problem is that it makes a character liek ST completely useless since he has extremely limited mobility options to begin with.
---
Movie Review Blog: http://cruizd.blogspot.com
Japan is so nice!
#19MosgusPosted 2/12/2013 7:10:22 AM
BluBlue4 posted...
You make good posts.

Oh shucks. c:
#20Potatoman622Posted 2/12/2013 7:29:49 AM
If you play a good Nariko (blue_ballz lol) she will make you feel like air camping is a terrible idea lol.

Some characters benefit from air camping though. Like when I use e cole its much easier to tether people jumping all over the place and set up his tech trap. Some specials like sir Dan and Jak also benefit because they hit people air well if you can make a good read.
---
PSN: Potatoman622
Fear the Fabulous Fatty P