1v1 concerns

#11NDgamer1122Posted 2/15/2013 10:50:57 AM
Blocking is a bit too easy in this game.

Anyone's that's played other fighters can probably attest to this.

As TC said either the block depletes over time and can be poked through (Smash) or you have to block high/low/back/front (traditional fighters).

I mean even aesthetically it makes no sense. It looks really stupid when you are facing the wrong direction blocking and yet attacks from behind you are still being blocked.

I think what balances blocking, though, is that you still gain some AP from hitting the other person, and meanwhile, the person blocking isn't gaining AP. I can tell you, if I'm playing too defensively in a timed match, I don't tend to gain AP fast enough to compete.

You really do have to play rather aggressively to win in this game. If people want to turtle, that's on them. They'll just fall behind in gaining AP, and eventually just get grabbed.
#12blaze19_0XPosted 2/15/2013 10:51:38 AM
Crabhammar posted...
Agree on air camping, not on block. Grabs are DEVESTATING in this game.

And air camping is even more devestating. If all you do is block when your opponent is mid-far range and jump as soon as they get in close...it will be extremely difficult for them to grab you especially since most characters don't have the mobility tools needed to get in quickly and get that grab right away. They have to slowly inch in giving your opponent plenty of time to jump away.
#13LightEcoSagePosted 2/15/2013 10:59:23 AM(edited)
Coles are by far the most annoying blockers and running away no skilled losers in this game.
---
"Jak, you are the Greatest of Heroes" ~Precursor Leader
#14DireProphecyPosted 2/15/2013 10:56:04 AM
LightEcoSage posted...
Coles are by far the most annoying blockers and running away no skilled losers.

I hate good cole players who do nothing but run away.
#15blaze19_0XPosted 2/15/2013 10:58:55 AM
NDgamer1122 posted...
Blocking is a bit too easy in this game.

Anyone's that's played other fighters can probably attest to this.

As TC said either the block depletes over time and can be poked through (Smash) or you have to block high/low/back/front (traditional fighters).

I mean even aesthetically it makes no sense. It looks really stupid when you are facing the wrong direction blocking and yet attacks from behind you are still being blocked.

I think what balances blocking, though, is that you still gain some AP from hitting the other person, and meanwhile, the person blocking isn't gaining AP. I can tell you, if I'm playing too defensively in a timed match, I don't tend to gain AP fast enough to compete.

You really do have to play rather aggressively to win in this game. If people want to turtle, that's on them. They'll just fall behind in gaining AP, and eventually just get grabbed.

Sure but this is very similar to chip damage in other fighting games and it's simply not enough for the risk-reward.

I don't know, I just think it's far too newbie friendly to have a block that blocks everything no matter what provided it isn't a grab or the rare guard breaker. This isn't how it is in just about any other fighter.

You never really have to think too hard about blocking like you do in other fighters.

Of course if ALL you do is sit in block all day, you are going to get punished hard eventually or take far too much chip damage but using it casually is far too effective for how easy it is.
#16NDgamer1122Posted 2/15/2013 11:06:39 AM
Of course if ALL you do is sit in block all day, you are going to get punished hard eventually or take far too much chip damage but using it casually is far too effective for how easy it is.

Eh, probably to keep this game on the simpler side. It has to have SOME casual appeal, right? Some people don't like juggling a lot of mechanics.
#17blaze19_0XPosted 2/15/2013 11:07:57 AM
I suppose.

I think something as simple as being only able to block from the front would make more sense though if anything just graphically.