I really don't like "useless" moves

#1NDgamer1122Posted 2/19/2013 9:05:37 AM(edited)
This definitely isn't exclusive to just Jak or anything, like I seem to make it out to be. Seems a lot of characters have moves that are useless, or just a a move in their moveset that is simply better.

There's plenty of examples. Drake minigun, Sir Dan's drumstick, Heihachi's bowling pin, Sweet Tooth's chainsaw, Jak's Beam Reflexor, Spike's hula hoop (though I 've seen arguments for it), etc.

Then you have a character like Kratos that have a great moveset all around. Besides his extremely safe and all useful chain moves, he has his spear and shield which blocks projectiles on the ground, and is a good weapon when slightly above someone. There's the Cestus, which is a good anti air and "get off me" move in the air itself, and can be used in combo. The Barbarian Hammer is a quick way to drop and do damage. You have his Icarus Wings which also extends combos, and can be used as a triple jump. He has a counter that counters both physical attacks and projectiles, and can be used to confirm into his level 1. He has a stun move which can be used as a HC as well. On top of this, he even has a ranged move with infinite range that gains 10 AP per hit, and can be charged a bit to stun.

So, why is it Kratos has all these great, versatile tools, and yet some characters are pretty much forced to only use 1/2-3/4 of their moveset because the functionality and/or AP gain on other moves is just not worth it? It makes little sense to me.
---
Every patch for PlayStation All-Stars seems to fix one thing and break another.
It's like fixing the windshield of a car, and then the tires pop off.
#2DX1900Posted 2/19/2013 9:04:52 AM
Because he's the motha****ing God of War.
#3DireProphecyPosted 2/19/2013 9:06:01 AM
Spike's hula hoop can be used to stay in the air longer lol; that's pretty much it. So there will be times when it is useful, like baiting out a super or something.
A character I use who has tons of useless moves and it really bugs me is Toro. I really find myself wishing that these moves did something useful like combo even but nope. Although I am finding uses for some of them (his neutral square jab does 10 AP and doesn't combo into anything, but it is is fastest option and it can usually always lead into grab). Toro has some horrible square moves though.
#4Charizard18Posted 2/19/2013 9:07:05 AM
kratos da baaayusssttt
---
Who would win, Jedi Charizard or Jedi Jigglypuff?
"I'm a bagel whore" -blazin640
#5KindertotenwaldPosted 2/19/2013 9:08:11 AM
NDgamer1122 posted...
This definitely isn't exclusive to just Jak or anything, like I seem to make it out to be. Seems a lot of characters have moves that are useless, or just a a move in their moveset that is simply better.

There's plenty of examples. Drake minigun, Sir Dan's drumstick, Heihachi's bowling pin, Sweet Tooth's chainsaw, Jak's Beam Reflexor, Spike's hula hoop (though I 've seen arguments for it), etc.

Then you have a character like Kratos that have a great moveset all around. Besides his extremely safe and all useful chain moves, he has his spear and shield which blocks projectiles on the ground, and is a good weapon when slightly above someone. There's the Cestus, which is a good anti air and "get off me" move in the air itself, and can be used in combo. The Barbarian Hammer is a quick way to drop and do damage. You have his Icarus Wings which also extends combos, and can be used as a triple jump. He has a counter that counters both physical attacks and projectiles, and can be used to confirm into his level 1. He has a stun move which can be used as a HC as well. On top of this, he even has a ranged move with infinite range that gains 10 AP per hit, and can be charged a bit to stun.

So, why is it Kratos has all these great, versatile tools, and yet some characters are pretty much forced to only use 1/2-3/4 of their moveset because the functionality and/or AP gain on other moves is just not worth it? It makes little sense to me.

Drakes minigun isn't useless it can get 2 people at different angles away at once.
Sir Dans Drumstick isn't useless it resets air tech and has a slow fall time and odd angle for keep people out.
kk bowling pin bad but it spawns the beachball which is a game changer.
ST chainsaw is good for falling into a crowd especially starting in the air.
Beamreflexer is used in combos how is it useless?
Idk bou the hoop

the moves could be better but they are not useless.
---
PSN: Omnisignificance
PSASBR: Big Daddy, Radec, Sir Daniel
#6DireProphecyPosted 2/19/2013 9:08:22 AM
NDgamer1122 posted...

Poor game design on Superbot's part. Every character should have combo fluidity and versatility like Kratos or Raiden, or at least combo ability to some degree.
#7DireProphecyPosted 2/19/2013 9:09:22 AM
Charizard18 posted...
kratos da baaayusssttt

#8NDgamer1122(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 9:16:16 AM
Drakes minigun isn't useless it can get 2 people at different angles away at once.
Sir Dans Drumstick isn't useless it resets air tech and has a slow fall time and odd angle for keep people out.
Idk bou the hoop

Perhaps not useless, but less usable than the rest of your moveset.

Drake's minigun covers a wide angle, but it's so slow to cover this angle that it's pretty easily punishable. It'd be better to barrel, air grendade launcher, magnum, AK, etc.

I really know nothing of the drumstick's properties, so I was just kinda talking out of experience there. I never see it used.

Beachball, which has a 1 in 40 chance, and can be used against you too.

Why do the falling chainsaw when you could drop a mine and stay safe, or land to the side of them and use shotgun?

I really don't combo much with Jak. His combo potential is pretty limited, anyway. Reason why I think it's "useless" is that it only gains 5 AP per shot, fires slowly, comes out at an odd angle (especially on the ground), and doesn't even have very good range.
---
Every patch for PlayStation All-Stars seems to fix one thing and break another.
It's like fixing the windshield of a car, and then the tires pop off.
#9ApolloJusticeAAPosted 2/19/2013 9:27:57 AM
Kindertotenwald posted...
NDgamer1122 posted...

Idk bou the hoop

Air hoop can increase hangtime and save you from raw supers, ground hoop can disrupt a good group if used properly. i wouldn't say the moves listed are useless just situationally dependent
---
Alt to Millamac: The Official Apollo Justice of all boards
Post your reliable anti-kratos strategy: Quit the match.-J_Dawg_
#10xXxSuQingXinxXxPosted 2/19/2013 9:54:00 AM
Someone is going to mention "Dante's Guns".

I just know it.

And it hurts.
---
PSN: Su-Qing-Xin
I like to play video games.