This game really does lack the instant draw of newbies imo. Unlike Smash.

#1blaze19_0XPosted 2/20/2013 1:20:15 AM(edited)
I think that's one of the main reasons it didn't sell well. Forget the characters. Forget how deep or not deep the gameplay is. Forget the aesthetics or marketing. The game just doesn't have that instant fun factor.

I played Brawl again for the first time in at least a month with a few people who had NEVER touched Smash Bros before. They had no idea what they were doing (and didn't know most of the characters) as I predicted and they spent of a good deal of time suciding. But you know what? It was still incredibly fun and addicting to them.

They had a blast whenever something happened. When I told them about Kirby's ability to suck up people and then suicide off the stage with them they couldn't stop laughing over it. Then we turned out on all items and they had even more fun with all their crazy and chaotic effects.

I can't imagine the same for PSASBR. There isn't much hilarity and chatoic things to enjoy, it's mosty straight forward. The items are extremely bland in comparison.

Now don't get me wrong. I obviously like PSASBR but that's because I understand the game at a deeper level. You don't have to for Smash. You can have no idea what you are doing, and as a party game it's still a blast. It's easy to see why it's so successful and this game is not.

However I admit I didn't have the means (extra controllers) to test this with PSASBR (we only played Smash) so maybe it would produce the same results. I know they would probably be relieved at not dying dying every 10 seconds because of a suicide xD.
#2IcyFlamez96Posted 2/20/2013 12:58:48 AM
My friends who I invite over to play this surprisingly enjoy this game a lot.

I agree with you though.
---
[Not changing sig until a Ratchet and Clank I can be hyped for is announced.]
"You have to learn how to learn before you can learn." - blaze19_0X
#3RainbowsaurusPosted 2/20/2013 12:59:17 AM
My friends have a blast playing this, and they don't even play video games.

They seem to get a kick out of the background events, or the fact that they can beat up some angry guy in a skirt with a cat.
---
EMMETT GRAVES MASTER RACE
http://oi49.tinypic.com/21m7saq.jpg
#4DreamsaberPosted 2/20/2013 12:59:53 AM
Cool story bro.

Here's a cat combo video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTkmVKl0-l0
---
You opened a debate, and I'll be damned if you're not going to finish it. ~smashbrother3
#5blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 1:06:02 AM(edited)
IcyFlamez96 posted...

I agree with you though.

Your friends probably know how to play the game though.

My point is, here are a few people who had no idea how to play and still had such a fun time. In PSASBR it seems you have to know how to play before you can really start enjoying it. That's just my theory though.

However, next time they are over, I'll introduce them to PSASBR to see if it has the same effect. Hopefully I'll have a few more controllers by then (reason we didn't bother to play it).

One of the people was actually really embarrassed because they kept falling off and killing themselves, even when I told them to pick the characters with the best recoveries. So I guess at least in PSASBR that won't happen :p
#6IcyFlamez96Posted 2/20/2013 1:08:45 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
IcyFlamez96 posted...

I agree with you though.

My point is, here are a few people who had no idea how to play and still had such a fun time. In PSASBR it seems you have to know how to play before you can really start enjoying it. That's just my theory though.

However, next time they are over, I'll introduce them to PSASBR to see if it has the same effect. Hopefully I'll have a few more controllers by then (reason we didn't bother to play it).

One of the people was actually really embarrassed because they kept falling off and killing themselves, even when I told them to pick the characters with the best recoveries. So I guess at least in PSASBR that won't happen :p
They didn't know how to play before. Only one of them had played the beta.

Yeah but I think the whole super thing is just harder to get into.
---
[Not changing sig until a Ratchet and Clank I can be hyped for is announced.]
"You have to learn how to learn before you can learn." - blaze19_0X
#7RainbowsaurusPosted 2/20/2013 1:12:08 AM
It's not that hard at all. I just tell my friends "you build up that meter, and then R2 to kill" and they catch on instantly. I've even gotten beaten by my friends.
---
EMMETT GRAVES MASTER RACE
http://oi49.tinypic.com/21m7saq.jpg
#8blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 1:14:29 AM(edited)
IcyFlamez96 posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
IcyFlamez96 posted...

I agree with you though.

They didn't know how to play before. Only one of them had played the beta.

Yeah but I think the whole super thing is just harder to get into.

Well I don't know if I'd say the Super system is harder to get into even at the casual level. Like I said, when they were playing Brawl, most of their deaths were suicides. They really had a tough time grasping the concept of recovering. At least in PSASBR they'd never have to worry about killing themselves (again their biggest weakness).

But my point was, despite that it can still be fun. I just can't imagine people who have no idea how the Super system works having fun. They'll probably get angry at hitting each other so much and still not winning. Games would last ages with countless missed supers.

PSASBR doesn't have that "you can die at any instant without even knowing when or what hit you" factor. That random and chaotic factor that is so amusing for party games.
#9blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 1:17:38 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10fulcar95Posted 2/20/2013 1:23:43 AM
Why do people keep comparing this to Brawl? Brawl is the THIRD installment of an already successful franchise. They had YEARS since the first game came out to fix bugs and glitches, get more licenses for characters, create more interesting items and stages, add different gameplay mechanics and features, etc etc. This is Sony's first attempt at an all star mash up, so it should be compared to the FIRST SSB, which only had a roster of 12 characters, only had time and stock battles, had around 12 stages or so and a couple items, etc. Yeah I know it's a bit insane comparing an N64 game to a PS3 one, but we're not talking about console capabilities here, we're talking about a mash up game that represents a console's all star players. The only reason this game isn't drawing many people is because the cast is lacking other more well known PlayStation representatives.
---
"The more you sweat in training, the less blood you lose in war."