Should some attacks OTG in this game?

#1Hopeful_PhoenixPosted 4/7/2013 8:25:45 PM
Obviously as we know, staying on the ground gives you invincibility. But let's be frank, this game is a jump fest. Characters who generally pray you stay near the ground like Big Daddy or Heihachi have a hard time in this type of setting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sweet Tooth has this problem as well.

But generally, there's no downside to just staying on the ground after being floored, waiting to see what's up, and rolling accordingly. You then proceed to jump back into the sky, where some characters have a large disadvantage.

But what if some attacks (maybe supers?) could OTG, and bypass the invincibility? Attacks like Heihachi's useless stomp attack, Or Big Daddy's ice? Maybe Jak's downward angled blaster? The less useful attacks that conveniently aim down. It'd give characters more mindgames on wake-up, and provide an alternative option for ground combat (or even combos). Guarding already has a bit too much safety without a low/high guard or guard break system... I don't know.

Thinking about it, I think it could help some characters out.
---
No mtater hte odrer of hte wrdos, one acn raed a prahse as lnog as hte strat nad ends are rogenicazble.
#2christiankid7Posted 4/7/2013 8:31:57 PM
Before the scream thing, I thought Big Daddies Level 1 should OTG
---
The Official ANTI-VENOM of the UMVC3 boards
The official Sir Daniel Fortesque of the PSASBR boards
#3Rlaur2Posted 4/7/2013 8:36:15 PM
It'd be an interesting mechanic, but a few things would need to be rebalanced. Even though it'd make sense, it shouldn't be given to the Cole's as they'd probably be broken.
---
-_-
#4ZavalsBizPosted 4/7/2013 8:36:53 PM
Yes G.Cole's icicle and Nate's slide kick,
#5G-ScythePosted 4/7/2013 8:37:59 PM
Yes, but the addition of OTG moves would bring in some balance problems in this state
---
Not changing this sig until I get bored of it - started 8/11/2011
#6JammerzWPosted 4/7/2013 8:39:17 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7Hopeful_Phoenix(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2013 8:45:50 PM
I had thought for it to not include every character for balance's sake. And this wouldn't be too hard to balance, imo. Thinking about it, there are plenty of lackluster moves that lackluster characters have that could use a use, even if situational. Then again, debating if something like Big Daddy's drill should OTG could be iffy. I imagine plenty of characters having more options after a down grab if implemented as well.

Though you run across the problem of "It looks like it should", like Drake's slide or Kratos' hammer. To that, I simply think commen sense should be used. If the attack is already good, no need to buff it. Thus, Drake's slide wouldn't OTG. Cole's ice missile doesn't appear to be OTGable, since it's high off the ground, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I thought it'd be an interesting mechanic. Maybe they could make it work in a sequel.
---
No mtater hte odrer of hte wrdos, one acn raed a prahse as lnog as hte strat nad ends are rogenicazble.
#8hyperknees91Posted 4/7/2013 9:04:53 PM
ZavalsBiz posted...
Yes G.Cole's icicle and Nate's slide kick,

Har Har Har

But yeah TC I agree that some attacks should (especially those attacks you mentioned as Jak's down blaster is probably the most worthless move in the game).

There's some disadvantage to being grounded though (let's some characters set up their traps, also Spike can RC car follow them for another combo, additionally if they try and roll you can just follow and grab).
---
PSN tag hyperknees
#9boy_luckPosted 4/7/2013 9:28:32 PM
Some attacks (a very, very few) could use OTG properties, but supers definitely not. It would make some completely broken.
---
Sora is a terrible character. Deal with it!
The gamefaqs mods are heavy drinkers.
#10Hopeful_Phoenix(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2013 10:16:46 PM
boy_luck posted...
but supers definitely not. It would make some completely broken.

While this is true, very few supers would even look right as an OTG. The only ones that qualify would be Spike's lvl 1, Jak's lvl 2, Sweet Tooth's lvl 2, Sackboy's lvl 2, Drake's lvl 1 & 2, Emmet's lvl 2, Kat's lvl 2, Good Cole's lvl 2, Nariko's lvl 1 & 2, Big Daddy's lvl 1, Sir Dan's lvl 2, Radec's lvl 1, Sly's lvl 2, and Kratos' lvl 2.

Excluding the ones that are ridiculously impractical (Sir Dan, Big Daddy, Drake's lvl 1, and Sweet Tooth), some can simply be rolled away from on reaction (Emmet, Jak, Spike, Nariko's lvl 1, Kratos, and Drake's lvl 2).

That leaves Radec's lvl 1, Cole's lvl 2, Nariko's lvl 2, Kat's lvl 2, Sackboy's lvl 2, and Sly's lvl 2.

All lvl 2's except Radec. Sackboy's is already an auto kill, so it's unaffected. Cole and Kat can both rack up much more kills from lvl 1s, so a small buff to lvl 2 is pretty harmless (especially since both can just combo into it anyway). Sly's lvl 2 is garbage as is, so having a reason to actually use it isn't bad.

Then that leaves Radec and Nariko, who both benefit from an OTG super much more than anyone else (Nariko may finally have a combo into lvl 2 since her lvl 2 knocks down people when activated on them). That's only 2 characters who are greatly affected by this. Hardly damaging.

There's the possibility of Drake's lvl 1 being useful if a foe is on an adjacent platform, but that scenario is rare since Drake alone lacks knockdown attacks that can position such a scenario. Emmet & Sweet Tooth's lvl 3s could also have OTG attacks in stomps and bombings, but I don't think it would be that bad. Jak could use his on a small platform to force a roll or die scenario as well (assuming only Jak himself is the OTG, not the Dark Bomb).
---