Should some attacks OTG in this game?

#11IcyFlamez96Posted 4/7/2013 10:20:04 PM
Can someone dumb the OP down for me? I must be stupid right now but I read that thing like 3 times and still don't get it. It seems interesting though so I wanna know.
#12DavidgraymanPosted 4/7/2013 10:22:57 PM
Personally I've always wanted a wrestler character in this game to elbow drop ppl on the ground
---
The official Pepsimaaaaaaaaaaaaaan of the PSASBR board.
http://tinyurl.com/cyraxwin
#13Hopeful_Phoenix(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2013 10:32:53 PM
IcyFlamez96 posted...
Can someone dumb the OP down for me? I must be stupid right now but I read that thing like 3 times and still don't get it. It seems interesting though so I wanna know.

OTG (off the ground) refers to when an attack can hit an opponent... off the ground.

In this game, holding block keeps you on the ground with invincibility. Where as in other fighting games, staying on the ground near your opponent can get you hit. Add in no dashes, and simply rolling away from your foe is hard to counter.

Sweet Tooth's down square (his sluggish stomp), as is, is useless. But say that it could bypass the invincibility of staying on the ground, and hit the opponent. It now has a use. As an OTG.

This provides more options for ground combat in a rather air campy game. It'd need balancing, but it's just an idea.
---
No mtater hte odrer of hte wrdos, one acn raed a prahse as lnog as hte strat nad ends are rogenicazble.
#14SelitePosted 4/7/2013 10:37:22 PM
Did Sweet Tooth's shotgun (at any point, even beta) OTG?
---
Something about kilts...
Also: http://www.youtube.com/user/selite?feature=mhee
#15Hopeful_Phoenix(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2013 11:53:19 PM
Selite posted...
Did Sweet Tooth's shotgun (at any point, even beta) OTG?

Never played the beta, but I don't believe so. Regardless, his shotgun would be one of the attacks I'd omit. It would get silly, eventually.
---
No mtater hte odrer of hte wrdos, one acn raed a prahse as lnog as hte strat nad ends are rogenicazble.
#16Q_BlahPosted 4/8/2013 12:03:26 AM
As much fun as having an otg in this game sounds, I say they should keep the otgs out of this game. I can see people discovering a whole new way of combos which is a good thing, but otgs are going to add a whole new wave of butthurt and kill confirms. A lot of rebalancing will have to be made again if otgs are implemented. It may even get to the point where the developers will have to change the core gameplay of the game.

But if they can get OTGs to work and at the same time keep the game balanced without changing the core knowledge and gameplay of the characters, then im all for it.
---
Hmmmm........
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/spald/Soups.png
#17boy_luckPosted 4/8/2013 12:06:35 AM
Hopeful_Phoenix posted...
boy_luck posted...
but supers definitely not. It would make some completely broken.

While this is true, very few supers would even look right as an OTG. The only ones that qualify would be Spike's lvl 1, Jak's lvl 2, Sweet Tooth's lvl 2, Sackboy's lvl 2, Drake's lvl 1 & 2, Emmet's lvl 2, Kat's lvl 2, Good Cole's lvl 2, Nariko's lvl 1 & 2, Big Daddy's lvl 1, Sir Dan's lvl 2, Radec's lvl 1, Sly's lvl 2, and Kratos' lvl 2.

Excluding the ones that are ridiculously impractical (Sir Dan, Big Daddy, Drake's lvl 1, and Sweet Tooth), some can simply be rolled away from on reaction (Emmet, Jak, Spike, Nariko's lvl 1, Kratos, and Drake's lvl 2).

That leaves Radec's lvl 1, Cole's lvl 2, Nariko's lvl 2, Kat's lvl 2, Sackboy's lvl 2, and Sly's lvl 2.

All lvl 2's except Radec. Sackboy's is already an auto kill, so it's unaffected. Cole and Kat can both rack up much more kills from lvl 1s, so a small buff to lvl 2 is pretty harmless (especially since both can just combo into it anyway). Sly's lvl 2 is garbage as is, so having a reason to actually use it isn't bad.

Then that leaves Radec and Nariko, who both benefit from an OTG super much more than anyone else (Nariko may finally have a combo into lvl 2 since her lvl 2 knocks down people when activated on them). That's only 2 characters who are greatly affected by this. Hardly damaging.

There's the possibility of Drake's lvl 1 being useful if a foe is on an adjacent platform, but that scenario is rare since Drake alone lacks knockdown attacks that can position such a scenario. Emmet & Sweet Tooth's lvl 3s could also have OTG attacks in stomps and bombings, but I don't think it would be that bad. Jak could use his on a small platform to force a roll or die scenario as well (assuming only Jak himself is the OTG, not the Dark Bomb).

Big Daddy's lvl1 could OTG since the girl jumps all the way down. But, to be totally honest, while OTGs would work wonders for certain normals, supers should just stay the same. Imo, the fact that you can take advantage of the invincibility frames while downed provides gameplay in general with a bit more strategy. Can't tell you the amount of times I've saved myself from sneaky lvl1s and lvl2s by prolonging the downed state.

I don't know, I just don't see OTGs as part of the gameplay style, at least not for supers. Normals should have them, though.
---
Sora is a terrible character. Deal with it!
The gamefaqs mods are heavy drinkers.
#18blaze19_0XPosted 4/9/2013 7:24:28 AM
I like the idea but:

1. Sweet Tooth's down square is not useless. It's great in combos and allows him to net more AP/get an AP burst. Without it he'd probably not be able to do so.

2. Grabbing hard beats out rolls in this game. Meaning if you thought they were going to back roll and grabbed immediately it'll grab them AS they are trying to roll away. It's not like Smash where you have to wait until the end of the roll to punish it.

Also, there are a lot of character specific moves that can punish rolls. Giga punch, angel dash, Sir Dan's squareX3.

With that being said, I agree that proper fast dashing should have been in this game and have said so from the beginning. It would open up a lot more options for a lot of characters, especially with the new landing lag mechanics in place.
#19Hopeful_Phoenix(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 12:26:55 PM
blaze19_0X posted...
I like the idea but:

1. Sweet Tooth's down square is not useless. It's great in combos and allows him to net more AP/get an AP burst. Without it he'd probably not be able to do so.

2. Grabbing hard beats out rolls in this game. Meaning if you thought they were going to back roll and grabbed immediately it'll grab them AS they are trying to roll away. It's not like Smash where you have to wait until the end of the roll to punish it.

Also, there are a lot of character specific moves that can punish rolls. Giga punch, angel dash, Sir Dan's squareX3.

With that being said, I agree that proper fast dashing should have been in this game and have said so from the beginning. It would open up a lot more options for a lot of characters, especially with the new landing lag mechanics in place.

-I was unaware it was quick enough to combo. I assumed since it was unsafe, slow, and fairly ineffective on aerial opponents that it was useless. Interesting to know.

-I also didn't know this. I knew grabs beat basic rolls, but I didn't know grabs beat rolls via wakeup. I guess this would explain why I seem to never be able to roll pass a Ratchet grabbing when he's hovering over me.
---
#20blaze19_0XPosted 4/9/2013 12:36:59 PM
Air neutral square-down square-mine-shotgun

Standard combo for Sweet Tooth. There are a lot of variations as well but you get the idea.