ATTN: Lizardheart

#31ThaCMasterPosted 4/25/2013 3:48:23 AM(edited)
EX_Bortthog posted...
You know it's bad when the top 2 or 3 characters 8-2 much of the cast.

I don't remember this being true, I just remember Yun was ridiculous

And as for VF5 the fact its balanced is vastly offset by its seemingly non-existing fanbase because if its so balanced it should attract more players, and GG has defensive options that offset tiers to the point they really don't matter. Potemkin vs Eddie is a great example, because that style matchup in any other fighter isn't good for the Buster character but because through Faultless Defense you get 1 Frame Jumps it allows Pot the ability to escape Eddie's lockdown

Yun, Chun, and Ken were by far the best. Then Makoto, Akuma, and Dudley were the next best but not quite as good as the top.

Balance doesn't attract mainstream casual players (which is most of the market by far) lol, just competitive players. VF has a competitive base. By your argument, now many people nowadays play SF3 and GG compared to games like SF4 and Tekken? Doesn't mean there is no base, just makes it a smaller base. As long as there is an active community it is viable. Even Skullgirls has a community.

Mainstream players care about what is "cool" atm, recognizeable characters (SF, MK), "cool design" (Akuma looks cool, Scorpion looks cool, MK is dark and edgy, Tekken has "cool" characters". They like fanservice (mainstream popular fighters tend to have lots of fanservice, DoA, SC, MK, and even SF have Chun and Cammy.

They like blood (which is MK's selling point). VF doesn't have all of these visual gimmicks. It is simply a very honest fighting game that is deep and technical with a huge learning curve. This kind of stuff doesn't appeal to the casual audience.

Look at PSAS, it appeals to casuals despite being horrible competitively for a number of reasons. See what I mean? GG wasn't greatly balanced though, but this was at a time before lots of downloadable patches so it's cool.
---
PSN ID BigDaddyCMasta
www.thacmaster.proboards50.com
#32CrabhammarPosted 4/25/2013 3:49:47 AM
Lizardheart posted...
I quit for Ij, as did a lot of people. It's been a while since I've actually played a good game. I've been blinded by the broken gameplay of PSASBR for too long.

lol this
---
assets18.pokemon.com/assets/cms/img/video-games/pokemonxy/characters/pokemonxy_froakie.jpg
#33EX_BortthogPosted 4/25/2013 3:54:23 AM
Guilty Gears worst matchup is a 7/3 and its Potemkin vs Baiken iirc
---
#1 Cactus
#34EX_BortthogPosted 4/25/2013 4:18:23 AM
And as for your GG base, its rather big, especially if you include Dustloops PC players

SF3? I stopped playing due to horribly botched netcode so I can't say
---
#1 Cactus
#35ThaCMasterPosted 4/25/2013 4:24:34 AM
EX_Bortthog posted...
And as for your GG base, its rather big, especially if you include Dustloops PC players

SF3? I stopped playing due to horribly botched netcode so I can't say

GG definitely has a dedicated base. Just isn't a juggernaut like SF4 and Tekken. GG is well balanced overall, I was just disputing the "best ever". I consider super balanced games to have every character competitively viable and A/B tier, no real 7-3's, just 6-4's at most.

Either way it's all good.
---
PSN ID BigDaddyCMasta
#36EX_BortthogPosted 4/25/2013 6:22:31 AM
I said argued, not fact, but its arguably the best for a reason too, and every character in GG IS 100% viable, even Bridget, except Kliff and Justice due to banned status until AC+R
---
#1 Cactus
#37ThaCMasterPosted 4/25/2013 8:42:02 AM
EX_Bortthog posted...
I said argued, not fact, but its arguably the best for a reason too, and every character in GG IS 100% viable, even Bridget, except Kliff and Justice due to banned status until AC+R

I wouldn't say it's the best though. A tier and B tier only, no 7-3's. Those are bad matchups. Still better balanced than most though.
---
PSN ID BigDaddyCMasta
#38blaze19_0XPosted 4/25/2013 9:12:22 AM
Street Fighter 4 after all the patches as well as the new one coming is probably the most balanced fighter right now that's actually popular and not niche. Evo top 8 last year was 8 different characters, that's pretty great.
---
Monster Hunter Videos: www.youtube.com/blaze0070x
Monster Hunter Livestream: www.livestream.com/blaze0x
#39EX_BortthogPosted 4/25/2013 9:16:00 AM
Like I said, theres a single 7/3 because Pot vs Baiken is awkward for Baiken because her counters aren't effective against Pot
---
#1 Cactus
#40blaze19_0XPosted 4/25/2013 9:25:13 AM(edited)
VF doesn't have all of these visual gimmicks. It is simply a very honest fighting game that is deep and technical with a huge learning curve. This kind of stuff doesn't appeal to the casual audience.

Pretty much this. It also has nearly zero marketing behind it because it's not like Sega can afford it. And even if it did it probably wouldn't matter for the reasons you listed.

It lacks appealing graphics, "flashy" gameplay, extra "powerups"/built in comeback factor, a story and fanservice. Which pushes casual players away.
---
Monster Hunter Videos: www.youtube.com/blaze0070x
Monster Hunter Livestream: www.livestream.com/blaze0x