The Minion system is definitely one that needs a revision in a sequel

#1sinncrossPosted 6/18/2013 5:03:38 PM
Firstly I think they should be called mascots but whatever.

The problem with minions is not that they are just cheerleaders, its that they are fairly under utilized as such.

The best thing would be to incorporate them into gameplay, either as a special move (not a super) or as a super alternate.

By Super alternate, I mean that the player can replace one of their supers with that of the minion. Only the player knows this, so other players have a bit of a guessing game.
Maybe that kratos replaced his lvl 1... or lvl 2... or his lvl 3 with the equivalent of his minion character.

This would enhance the super system a little by adding a small layer of depth, and as well some strategy (perhaps) because you have to be aware of what super is being replaced.

What are your thoughts on this?
---
Movie Review Blog: http://cruizd.blogspot.com
Waiting on PS4
#2Nightstryk3r619Posted 6/18/2013 5:06:39 PM
Sounds interesting enough. Also, it would help with some voice clips of said minion when a triple kill is scored. (granted: we all know that only Sully and Dr. Nefarious would be used at that point)
---
PSN: MistahRattlehead
PSASBR needs a Legend of Dragoon rep. Make it happen, SSM.
#3Chzrm3Posted 6/18/2013 5:21:44 PM
This would actually be kind of nice for characters like Spike or Toro, who have a really weak set of supers.

Actually, yeah - if there were some minions that had level 1, some that had level 2 and some that had level 3 supers, you'd be able to play around with that.

So maybe if you're playing as Heihachi, you say "Meh, I really don't want to be saddled by a level 3 cinematic super, so I'll swap out for Quark and get his ridiculous super where I can get 4-5 kills."

Or if you're Spike, you say "Maaaan my level 2 sucks, I'm gonna grab Nix instead so I can get something way more useful in 2 v 2."

I love this idea! XD
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#4Nightstryk3r619Posted 6/18/2013 5:32:58 PM
Chzrm3 posted...
This would actually be kind of nice for characters like Spike or Toro, who have a really weak set of supers.

Actually, yeah - if there were some minions that had level 1, some that had level 2 and some that had level 3 supers, you'd be able to play around with that.

So maybe if you're playing as Heihachi, you say "Meh, I really don't want to be saddled by a level 3 cinematic super, so I'll swap out for Quark and get his ridiculous super where I can get 4-5 kills."

Or if you're Spike, you say "Maaaan my level 2 sucks, I'm gonna grab Nix instead so I can get something way more useful in 2 v 2."

I love this idea! XD

Yeah, that would be great to get rid of Sweet Tooth's level 2 with say... Dollface charging across the map with a semi truck.
---
PSN: MistahRattlehead
PSASBR needs a Legend of Dragoon rep. Make it happen, SSM.
#5DavidgraymanPosted 6/18/2013 5:57:24 PM(edited)
I've always had a problem with these customizable moveset. They sound nice in theory but think of how frustrating to battle an opponent who has a move(s) that you don't know about. It's difficult to predict (or bait) an attack your not sure your opponent actually has and thus difficult to fight your opponent.

If you don't agree then imagine if Radec had a minion that had Sir Daniel's level one but you did not know. Approaching him would a lesson in frustrating as hell because you have to die before realizing "Ah crap I can't perform jump-ins on Radec". Someone said this could make characters with crappy supers more viable but it could also break the game by introducing new HCs or giving them moves they were intended to have..

All that being said, I think in this case I think your idea can work fine so long as there is available knowledge of what minion is being used. Perhaps the minion's portrait above the AP bar.
I think I came off as pessimistic but I actually like the idea :P

Also yeah the idea of minions was definitely underutilized. I thought they would do something cool, they definitely should have been called mascots
---
The official Pepsimaaaaaaaaaaaaaan of the PSASBR board.
http://tinyurl.com/cyraxwin
#6ZavalsBizPosted 6/18/2013 6:42:42 PM
I never liked those weird chibi-ish things, they should've had the full sized character instead.
---
Nate gave me a warm hug, "Your love is the only treasure I need," as he held me, I finally admitted it to him, "I love you, Nate."
#7sinncross(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2013 6:52:43 PM
@Nightstryk3r619

voices would go a long way in selling the idea I think, though I dont think it should be a priority if such a feature were ti be implemented.

@Chzrm3

Glad you like the idea :)

Though I was thinking more that perhaps each Minion had lvl 1, 2 and 3.

In that sense, you could still pick the minion you like, but you only substitute one of your supers with an equivalent of theirs.

Or minions for different supers works too, depending on how much work it would take up.

@Davidgrayman

Well I think part of the reasoning behind this idea was to create an extra element of surprise, of the unknown.

BUT I totally agree with you on being able to know what minion is being used.

I think that is vastly important for a couple reason, namely the idea you present (so there is still some sense of maybe being able to telegraph the super) and because the minion ultimately does represent you and your character (which is why I think mascot is probably a better term for it)
---
Waiting on PS4
#8LightEcoSagePosted 6/18/2013 7:51:35 PM
I agree with the change, but not with the change you want. I think Minions should have their own "unique/special" thing along with having a "few" voiced lines.
---
Simply amazing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbJHIH9qOkg
#9sinncross(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2013 9:09:36 PM
LightEcoSage posted...
I agree with the change, but not with the change you want. I think Minions should have their own "unique/special" thing along with having a "few" voiced lines.

Could you elaborate?
---
Waiting on PS4
#10taoxadasaPosted 6/18/2013 11:20:33 PM
If anything they should dance around the victory screen/results screen.
---
Robbit (Jumping Flash!) for Playstation All-Stars!