Playstation All Stars VS Super Smash Bros Brawl -- which do you like more?

#21legendofskylandPosted 8/30/2013 3:01:24 PM
judgementaeon posted...
legendofskyland posted...
RollerBob posted...
It's kinda hard to like PSASBR when it always feels like a missed opportunity.

+ Brawl had 39 characters (including Sheik, ZSS, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard separately) from 18 series (as Wario was first a Mario character before branching out for the Warioware series) when they currently have around 40 IPs;
- PSASBR has 24 characters (20 initially and 4 via DLC) from 22 series, when they have around 200+ IPs. Why 20 to begin with? Why not 30 or 35? You can blame the budget and some companies not wanting to play ball on that one. Nintendo has the advantage of owning pretty much the whole SSB roster and can decide to put them in with a snap of the fingers

+ Nintendo characters have been around since the NES in 1985. Even if they don't have as many IPs as Sony, people are familiar with them as they were kept around multiple generations. For instance, we didn't get a Metroid 64 game, but Samus was in the first SSB game.
- Sony characters have been around since the PS1 in 1994/1995, but they didn't have a linear progession, and many IPs are one-shot deals. People didn't have the time to familiarize themselves with some of these characters, or if they did, they are not around anymore, like Crash and Spyro. As someone who was born in the early 90's, I didn't feel much for any of the original SSB roster except Mario and Pikachu. PS1 was my real 1st system and I'v stuck with PS ever since so I probably feel more of a connection to them then any SSB character.

+ When SSB came out, they went with many retro characters. In fact, no character from new N64 games were added to the roster. That appealed to many old-school gamers.
- When PSASBR came out, they went with too many recent characters, leaving the retro characters aside. That tried to appeal to fans, but it didn't work. *raises hand* I liked those games so I'm fine with it. They received a ton of cool points for bringing back Spike from Ape Escape my favorite PS1 game.

+ SSB didn't try to be a proper fighting game. It was its own thing.
- PSASBR tried to be a proper fighting game, with combos and challenges, but it didn't work that well. It's just different. That doesn't make it not fun.

+ SSB's battle system is simple to grasp and easy to do.
- PSASBR's battle system is tedious and can be tricky to execute. Missing a super means that you have to recharge the gauge again. It's like the game is punishing you too harshly for that.Sounds like the game just isn't for you. If you miss with a super it was probably you're fault for not setting it up good.

Add the fact that Sony doesn't intent to support the game with extra characters like they planned, when SSBB was a complete game to begin with, and that pretty much rounds up why I prefer SSB over PSASBR.

That's how I feel on these subjects. Melee is still a ton of fun but PSASBR will always have a place in my heart

I knew someone else thought that! :D

I just hope people notice the Bold typing, and not think i'm just agreeing with everything that was said
#22judgementaeonPosted 8/30/2013 3:02:33 PM
judgementaeon posted...
RollerBob posted...
It's kinda hard to like PSASBR when it always feels like a missed opportunity.

+ Brawl had 39 characters (including Sheik, ZSS, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard separately) from 18 series (as Wario was first a Mario character before branching out for the Warioware series) when they currently have around 40 IPs;
- PSASBR has 24 characters (20 initially and 4 via DLC) from 22 series, when they have around 200+ IPs. Why 20 to begin with? Why not 30 or 35? You can blame the budget and some companies not wanting to play ball on that one. Nintendo has the advantage of owning pretty much the whole SSB roster and can decide to put them in with a snap of the fingers

+ Nintendo characters have been around since the NES in 1985. Even if they don't have as many IPs as Sony, people are familiar with them as they were kept around multiple generations. For instance, we didn't get a Metroid 64 game, but Samus was in the first SSB game.
- Sony characters have been around since the PS1 in 1994/1995, but they didn't have a linear progession, and many IPs are one-shot deals. People didn't have the time to familiarize themselves with some of these characters, or if they did, they are not around anymore, like Crash and Spyro. As someone who was born in the early 90's, I didn't feel much for any of the original SSB roster except Mario and Pikachu. PS1 was my real 1st system and I'v stuck with PS ever since so I probably feel more of a connection to them then any SSB character.

+ When SSB came out, they went with many retro characters. In fact, no character from new N64 games were added to the roster. That appealed to many old-school gamers.
- When PSASBR came out, they went with too many recent characters, leaving the retro characters aside. That tried to appeal to fans, but it didn't work. *raises hand* I liked those games so I'm fine with it. They received a ton of cool points for bringing back Spike from Ape Escape my favorite PS1 game.

+ SSB didn't try to be a proper fighting game. It was its own thing.
- PSASBR tried to be a proper fighting game, with combos and challenges, but it didn't work that well. It's just different. That doesn't make it not fun.

+ SSB's battle system is simple to grasp and easy to do.
- PSASBR's battle system is tedious and can be tricky to execute. Missing a super means that you have to recharge the gauge again. It's like the game is punishing you too harshly for that.Sounds like the game just isn't for you. If you miss with a super it was probably you're fault for not setting it up good.

Add the fact that Sony doesn't intent to support the game with extra characters like they planned, when SSBB was a complete game to begin with, and that pretty much rounds up why I prefer SSB over PSASBR.

That's how I feel on these subjects. Melee is still a ton of fun but PSASBR will always have a place in my heart

I knew someone else thought that! :D

I just hope people notice the Bold typing, and not think i'm just agreeing with everything that was said

Yeah :p
---
"In a world that cheated me, why should I play fair..."
#23CaioNVPosted 8/30/2013 6:52:29 PM
Lol at people seriously saying that SSB Brawl is a good game.
This pool should be PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale vs. Super Smash Bros. (for ze 64).
---
Let's Blocking: http://i.imgur.com/NONavuG.png
#24RollerBobPosted 8/30/2013 7:20:52 PM
You can blame the budget and some companies not wanting to play ball on that one. Nintendo has the advantage of owning pretty much the whole SSB roster and can decide to put them in with a snap of the fingers

I can't really tell for the budget, but Sony... had 200+ IPs... they had PLENTY of choices if they couldn't get the characters they wanted. It's like they didn't check the roster size for other fighting games and brawlers in order to make an average.

This would have been a better deal: http://fav.me/d6gw38e

As someone who was born in the early 90's, I didn't feel much for any of the original SSB roster except Mario and Pikachu. PS1 was my real 1st system and I'v stuck with PS ever since so I probably feel more of a connection to them then any SSB character.

*raises hand* I liked those games so I'm fine with it. They received a ton of cool points for bringing back Spike from Ape Escape my favorite PS1 game.

Ok then... where are these?
-Original Lara Croft vs Chuji Wu
-Gitaroo Man vs Unjammer Lammy
-Tomba vs Fei Fong Wong
-Dingo Egret vs Model Zero
-Kain vs Alucard
-Crash Bandicoot vs Spyro
-Maya vs Aya
-Tati vs Kyriu Kazuma
-Samanoske vs Musashi
-Rudy vs Alundra
-Maximo vs Dart

Oh, that's right, too retro for the game... Seriously, Sony went with too many recent IPs instead of going with just as many retro ones.

It's just different. That doesn't make it not fun.

It's a game that tried to a hybrid between a brawler and a fighting game. It cannot get both genres completely.

Sounds like the game just isn't for you. If you miss with a super it was probably you're fault for not setting it up good.

Then for who this game is then? Fighting game fans? Nope, too simplified... SSB fans? Nope, not complicated...

Being able to win only by using the super moves WAS highly critizied. If Brawl was about winning using only the Final Smashes, it wouldn't have worked either. Many demanded to add a secondary method such as knocking the opponent out of the stage, because the game is too punishing if you missed. You waste a gauge on a miss, not just 20% of it, all of it. With some characters having downright hard-to-connect super moves (looking at you, Daniel), that can be frustrating to win.
---
Yes, I'm Canadian. Yes, I speak french. Yes, I live in Quebec.
#25legendofskylandPosted 8/30/2013 8:01:59 PM
I can't really tell for the budget, but Sony... had 200+ IPs... they had PLENTY of choices if they couldn't get the characters they wanted. It's like they didn't check the roster size for other fighting games and brawlers in order to make an average.

This would have been a better deal: http://fav.me/d6gw38e

Ok then... where are these?
-Original Lara Croft vs Chuji Wu
-Gitaroo Man vs Unjammer Lammy
-Tomba vs Fei Fong Wong
-Dingo Egret vs Model Zero
-Kain vs Alucard
-Crash Bandicoot vs Spyro
-Maya vs Aya
-Tati vs Kyriu Kazuma
-Samanoske vs Musashi
-Rudy vs Alundra
-Maximo vs Dart

Oh, that's right, too retro for the game... Seriously, Sony went with too many recent IPs instead of going with just as many retro ones.

How about too obscure and in several cases (Like Crash and Spyro) Not owned by Sony. I couldn't even find the games some of those characters were from with a google search. I'm guessing you just really like JRPGs. I'd bet you were one of those guys that condemned the whole roster for not having a JRPG rep.

Then for who this game is then? Fighting game fans? Nope, too simplified... SSB fans? Nope, not complicated...

It's really not that complicated. Hit people, don't get hit, use super. You don't need to know long combo strings to play good. The only reason combos can be hard in SSB is because of the knockback mechanic.

Being able to win only by using the super moves WAS highly critizied. If Brawl was about winning using only the Final Smashes, it wouldn't have worked either. Many demanded to add a secondary method such as knocking the opponent out of the stage, because the game is too punishing if you missed. You waste a gauge on a miss, not just 20% of it, all of it. With some characters having downright hard-to-connect super moves (looking at you, Daniel), that can be frustrating to win.

I'm sorry but it just comes off as "I don't like different things! give me more of the same! It's too hard!" It's not hard to build meter back up. And unless you use your super the MOMENT you get it , which you should never do unless it's certain level 3 supers, you'll still have more meter left over. alot of characters can use back to back level 1 supers if their meter is just below level 2. So yes, you can waste your meter, if you have 0 patience and just fire off your super the moment you get it, but that's your problem.
#26SoulRegaliaPosted 8/30/2013 8:57:43 PM
If all stars didnt have HC's or such unbalanced **** like Heihachi vs Sly then I'd like it more. I love the game but the extreme lack of balance ruins it for me.
---
Muhahahahahaha! Have you forgotten!? I am a demon! Your common sense doesn't work on me! To my lab!-Mao
#27Dsurions_WrathPosted 8/31/2013 12:47:36 AM
Davidgrayman posted...
PielordX posted...
ZavalsBiz posted...
ClammehClam24 posted...
I voted for ssf4, ttt2, p4a, divekick, and kof xiii.

Divekick's f*****' stupid.

Blasphemy

---
"Pray not to have easier lives, but pray to be stronger men."- President John F. Kennedy.
GT: Dsurion21
#28BkzIzuPosted 8/31/2013 9:31:38 AM
I feel sorry for who ever wasted $10 on Divekick.
#29legendofskylandPosted 8/31/2013 9:46:33 AM
BkzIzu posted...
I feel sorry for who ever wasted $10 on Divekick.

I'd more feel sorry for whoever spent more money on the special controller

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/03/divekick01.jpg
#30judgementaeonPosted 8/31/2013 4:42:03 PM
CaioNV posted...
Lol at people seriously saying that SSB Brawl is a good game.
This pool should be PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale vs. Super Smash Bros. (for ze 64).

The people who DO say it's bad just say that because it's not as competitive. It's not all about being competitive you know...
---
"In a world that cheated me, why should I play fair..."