Sly isn't OP

#1RealSlyCooperPosted 8/27/2013 7:33:32 PM
He's just annoying to fight. Most people saying he needs nerfs have lost one too many fights against him. The only nerf he really needs is for his raccoon roll spamming. They just have to add start up time on it and you only bounce back when you hit someone that isn't blocking. Other than that and the barrel popping he's completely fine.
---
I haven't stolen anything... Yet!
#2Stanger5150Posted 8/27/2013 7:39:33 PM
I also think those are the only nerfs he needs, but he'll still be top tier.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
#3DireProphecyPosted 8/27/2013 11:56:18 PM
RealSlyCooper posted...
He's just annoying to fight. Most people saying he needs nerfs have lost one too many fights against him. The only nerf he really needs is for his raccoon roll spamming. They just have to add start up time on it and you only bounce back when you hit someone that isn't blocking. Other than that and the barrel popping he's completely fine.

Kratos isn't OP. He's just annoying to fight. Most people saying he needs nerfs have lost one too many fights against him. The only nerf he needs is up square and neutral square. They just have to add ending lag on them so they can be punished. Other than that he's completely fine.

I could do this for any character. Impeccable logic.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0130-2123-8328
#4F_TierPosted 8/28/2013 12:02:56 PM
DireProphecy posted...
RealSlyCooper posted...

Kratos isn't OP. He's just annoying to fight. Most people saying he needs nerfs have lost one too many fights against him. The only nerf he needs is up square and neutral square. They just have to add ending lag on them so they can be punished. Other than that he's completely fine.

People consider Kratos op because he's very easy to use. Sly takes a lot more work to control. If you lose to his thunder roll, that's you. Kratos' chains have almost the same length of that attack as well as him getting combos from them. Sly lacks combos too (practical ones).
---
Emperor of Terrors
#5DanteTheBestPosted 8/28/2013 1:02:04 PM
F_Tier posted...
DireProphecy posted...
RealSlyCooper posted...

People consider Kratos op because he's very easy to use. Sly takes a lot more work to control. If you lose to his thunder roll, that's you. Kratos' chains have almost the same length of that attack as well as him getting combos from them. Sly lacks combos too (practical ones).

Everyone, I introduce you to the new king of making stupid assumptions!!!

Seriously dude, you're attacking a lot of strawmen. You're accusing him of things he's never said, and you missed to point of his post entirely.
Aside from that, the "A character is easy to use so he's broken" logic is the most flawed logic in fighting game history. Take this for example; let's say that there was a button combination that if you input correctly would simply win you the game right there. That's broken, right? Now let's say it's really hard to do. Does that make it not broken simply because it's hard? No, it doesn't.

My point is the difficulty of a character NEVER reflects on their position in a tier list or to determine if they are broken or not. And btw, DireProphecy never said anything about Sly's electric roll being broken. Anyone who thinks that the electric roll is the only thing broken about Sly should not be commenting about whether or not Sly's broken.
---
3DS FC - 2664-2430-8583
#6Stanger5150Posted 8/28/2013 1:04:28 PM
DanteTheBest posted...
F_Tier posted...
DireProphecy posted...
RealSlyCooper posted...

Everyone, I introduce you to the new king of making stupid assumptions!!!

Seriously dude, you're attacking a lot of strawmen. You're accusing him of things he's never said, and you missed to point of his post entirely.
Aside from that, the "A character is easy to use so he's broken" logic is the most flawed logic in fighting game history. Take this for example; let's say that there was a button combination that if you input correctly would simply win you the game right there. That's broken, right? Now let's say it's really hard to do. Does that make it not broken simply because it's hard? No, it doesn't.

My point is the difficulty of a character NEVER reflects on their position in a tier list or to determine if they are broken or not. And btw, DireProphecy never said anything about Sly's electric roll being broken. Anyone who thinks that the electric roll is the only thing broken about Sly should not be commenting about whether or not Sly's broken.

Barrel stall, roll, and landing lag. Those are the only things broken about Sly.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
#7Stanger5150Posted 8/28/2013 1:07:13 PM
Sly has practical combos, just no mashing ones. down circle, air neutral triangle, air forward triangle is my favorite, as well as down square, right circle, left triangle. Obviously, he has an air juggle infinite against the wall, but it shouldn't be used due to its reliance on the broken barrel stall.

However, when I do use the barrel in the air, I follow the detonation with an immediate air right triangle for a nice AP gain. I've even followed up the blast with an air down triangle one time, but it's too impractical.

I personally try to utilize all of Sly's moves every match. Down triangle is a very underrated support move in 2v2 that I use often.

You're right about him being difficult to use effectively though. If you don't use the electric roll like it's his only move, that is. I like him because I can be creative, like tech chasing with a dropped mine right on top of the downed opponent, then right/left circle depending on where you think they'll roll. If they get hit by the mine, level 2 confirm.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
#8DanteTheBestPosted 8/28/2013 1:09:22 PM
I love how Stanger only commented on one of the points I made (and the most minor one at that) simply because he knows down inside that I'm right.
---
Then give Sly the ability to block AND teleport, like Spike can. Spike, in the hands of a good player... is actually one of Sly's best opponents
Stanger Quote
#9KartosFTWPosted 8/28/2013 1:14:46 PM
DireProphecy posted...
RealSlyCooper posted...

I like this guys logic. Kartos isn't broken at all. You see, his counter is incredibly hard to time. It takes master level timing to land his counter, in fact, only super pros can land Kratos' counter due to its difficulty. His counter is a high-risk low-reward move due to it being so hard to land. Only god level Kratos players can use his counter effectively, for it is so hard to time.

My character is difficult, and requires massive amounts of creativity and skill and wisdom, ergo he is not broken. Prove me wrong.
#10Stanger5150Posted 8/28/2013 2:23:09 PM(edited)
DanteTheBest posted...
I love how Stanger only commented on one of the points I made (and the most minor one at that) simply because he knows down inside that I'm right.

I never denied that Sly is OP, despite how difficult he is to use. I'm a fighting game vet who was waiting in line the day Street Fighter II first came to the arcade downtown, so I know your points are valid about difficulty of use not meaning a character can't be OP. It was pointless to comment on your other points because I never denied them to begin with. He's OP in most situations, just like Kratos. Inexperienced players for both characters can be dealt with swiftly, despite Kratos' ease of use.

I chose to only acknowledge the truly broken aspects of Sly, not the OP ones. There's a difference.

It doesn't really matter though. I'm accused of roll spamming even if I use it only once, and I'm called cheap even though I don't spam anything. Raiden, Kratos, and Sly players are accused of being cheap by the community no matter how good they are. I was even called cheap by a Kat player. There's no damn excuse for that.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782