If this had been a PS4 launch title, would it have succeeded?

#1Chzrm3Posted 9/25/2013 8:55:52 PM(edited)
WELL? - Results (33 votes)
Ya
66.67% (22 votes)
No!
33.33% (11 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Imagine it - instead of coming out last November, the game's slated to come out with the launch of PS4.

There'd probably be 26 characters in the game over the 20 that it had, because of all that extra time (just basing this on the content pipeline that they had running post-launch, it could've actually been more than that if that represented a "winding down" version of production. Maybe 28 or 30? Who knows)

Admittedly, since a few of the characters were there for advertisements, they'd probably be replaced by other advertisements. We'd probably also have someone from TLOU. So the roster would be a bit different.

We'd have gotten more stages, too... maybe 4 or 5 more? Tough to tell. They could've even pushed it to 20 with the final boss stage.

Most importantly, though, the game would be releasing in a much less competitive window, and could potentially be considered a reason to buy a PS4 for people. I know most of us on this board (and pretty much anyone bothering to read this thread now) would've bought a PS4 for this game, considering all the hype we had for it.

On top of that, there would've been more time to fill this game with the kind of "extra credit" that it was really lacking. More polish, less glitches, better balance, more custom-game options, more music, more easter eggs....

I dunno. I think Sony made a huge mistake by rushing this game out the door near the end of the PS3's life. It wasn't ready for launch regardless, and a game like this carries so much weight and has a built in core fanbase that could've become early PS4 adopters.

Thoughts? Actually, it might be fun to speculate on what the roster would've been. Figure:

- Could've had Lara Croft, since Eidos had said they wanted to be the ones to first show her to the world, but they also mentioned that they liked this project and would be happy to have her join in. !!!

- Also could've had Snake over Raiden, since Snake has a new game coming out and Raiden's has been out for a while now.

- Pretty sure there'd be no Dante. I don't actually know who the Capcom rep would've been. A SF character? XD

- Potentially still Heihachi and Big Daddy, because those guys weren't as advertise-y.

- Almost certainly someone from Ubisoft, either Watchdogs guy or AC4 guy. Or heck, even Rayman, right? : D All three of those games are coming out in this window.

- Probably wouldn't have had Isaac Clarke for the same reason as Dante and Raiden. Maybe a DA character from EA? Or maybe just nothing, nobody was really asking for EA reps. : >

- Could've still had Zeus, depending on whether or not Superbot felt the need to pad the roster/couldn't get another IP.

- Probably would've still had Kat, since they're making GR2 now.

- Tough to say about Abe and Dart. Those guys were probably in production because of how much of a fuss we all made about Superbot ignoring Abe even though his devs wanted him in, and Superbot putting in no RPG reps. Maybe these guys wouldn't have been on the studio's radar without that fan feedback.

- Probably would've had Joel, or some Joel/Ellie combo. Heck, maybe even both of them, depending on how much time SB had and how many IPs they had access to.

- Might've gotten either Lightning or the guy from versus. Probably Lightning, since that game is coming out pretty soon.

- Also might've had Knack, the guy from puppeteer, Iota.. I guess those are all advertising characters too. Nice thing there is you're still just dealing with first parties.

I dunno. It'd still be a gross, weird roster without Crash, Spyro, and Cloud! Who knows - maybe the fact that it was a PS4 Launch title would've made Activision or Square more willing to play ball.

Thoughts? THIS WAS LONG
---
If Smash 4 gets more DK reps, I'll achieve Nirvana and never want anything again.
Dixie, Funky, Lanky, Cranky........... Mmmmmmm yeeaaaaaa!!!!
#2Hammerbro32Posted 9/25/2013 9:08:44 PM
Hmm. Delsin would of also had a better chance of making it in. Maybe replace Evil Cole?
---
Playing PS all-stars, UMVC3, and U3
PSN - Hammerbro4Prez
#3Ludacris01Posted 9/25/2013 9:35:40 PM
It probably would have been sold more seeing as how the other launch titles are meh.

HOWEVER, seeing as you need to pay for online now, I think the reception would have been a bit worse since I expect a lot more people would stay offline, and the offline modes are meh at best.
---
"that ambipom is on crack" - Lemonz89
Official King K. Rool of the Smash 4 board. KING K. ROOL FOR SMASH 4
#4Ludacris01Posted 9/25/2013 9:39:30 PM(edited)
Overall, I think it was smart of Sony to release it on PS3 instead. Test the waters for this kind of game while the console is nearing the end of it's run. Work out all the kinks and take feedback into consideration without spending TOO much money and build up a few fans. Then launch a sequel on the PS4, and have it become freaking amazing. THEN you can start spending the extra money for stuff like 3rd party chars, a more reputable developer, better advertising, etc.
---
"that ambipom is on crack" - Lemonz89
Official King K. Rool of the Smash 4 board. KING K. ROOL FOR SMASH 4
#5CaioNVPosted 9/26/2013 11:27:39 AM
People are forgetting that the PS3 is NOT that near to the end of its life. That said, the game was also meant to be released on the PS Vita, and it wouldn't be possible to release a PS4 game on the PS Vita. And the PS Vita version is actually the best version because it's portable...
---
Let's Blocking: http://i.imgur.com/NONavuG.png
#6DavidgraymanPosted 9/26/2013 12:24:42 PM
Hell yeah, the game would look better, more time would be put into it and it would have been an excellent flagship game for the PS4. The bugs this game deals with would also be a bit more excusable
---
The official Pepsimaaaaaaaaaaaaaan of the PSASBR board.
http://slitherup.tumblr.com/search/metal+slug
#7ChimcharwhoohooPosted 9/27/2013 10:14:48 AM
CaioNV posted...
People are forgetting that the PS3 is NOT that near to the end of its life. That said, the game was also meant to be released on the PS Vita, and it wouldn't be possible to release a PS4 game on the PS Vita. And the PS Vita version is actually the best version because it's portable...

False.

They specifically said that the Ps4 and PsV would be cross-compatible. The PS3 ones were just atesting ground.
---
PSN: MilliardoPcraft PSAS: Zeus/Kat/Heihachi TTT2: Kazuya/Lili SCV: Viola/Ezio
Official Crash Bandicoot/Pinstripe Potoroo of the PSASBR Board.