Transformation - manual or automatic?

#1MashYouGoodPosted 5/2/2012 9:53:44 PM
Will the vehicle transformation be user initiated? Or automatic, once the vehicle launches / touches water / contacts track?

I'd like it to be manually initiated, for obvious reasons. But I think it won't be, given it would mean you could potentially fly the entire course of a race; likely being quite cheaty.

The thing is though, if it's an automatic thing, it really is just a gimmick. That is, it's then just a change to the vehicles' handling (unless weapons change also - unlikely) relative to vehicle type. Which would be kinda disappointing.

Any info on this yet?
#2Eric43Posted 5/2/2012 9:57:37 PM(edited)
Hell, gimme manual transmission like in Daytona/OutRun and I'll love it. But the ability to switch to the vehicle you want at any time...I hope they include this.
---
Non-Profit Sega Racing Game Blog! Wildly Intriguing:
http://phantomfullforce.blogspot.com/
#3Setnaro XPosted 5/3/2012 4:19:13 AM
It's automatic. If you look at the trailer or several gameplay footages, notice the big giant blue ring that racers drive through. Driving through it is what causes the vehicle to change.
---
Proper sound shatters glass. Proper sound shatters the Universe.
#4SR71haloPosted 5/3/2012 7:24:16 AM
Being manual would break the game more ways then one. If you could turn into a jet at will, why would you be anything else?
---
Zombies are like sprinkles, they make everything sweeter!
#5MashYouGood(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 8:43:28 AM
So then it's just a gimmick. The only thing the 'transformations' will change are the handling in their respective sections of the track.

I would have preferred them to do it more Diddy Kong Racing style, where each vehicle type had distinct advantages and disadvantages:
- karts easier to handle but more obstacles to negotiate
- planes fly but are slower / harder to handle
- hovercrafts go on water and are fastest but hardest to handle

So, you can balance things, as DKR demonstrated... in 1997.
#6Knight_Rider_3KPosted 5/3/2012 6:05:02 PM
There was a comment made that tracks will fork with one way being hard and one easy but longer. They could have the cars change after the fork.
---
You may beat me at a game, but with my smoking hot wife, I win at life.
#7Setnaro XPosted 5/3/2012 7:09:40 PM
I love DIddy Kong Racing so much, but I never liked the idea that different racers can use different vehicles, if only because most of the time, the folks who rode the plane never really felt like they were part of the race, and thus, the races never really felt too hectic. When everyone was on the same level with hovercrafts and karts, then it became crazy.

It may just be a gimmick for Transformed, but I like this direction a lot more. Keeps the players focused with every change that occurs on the map, since it was mentioned that different laps will change the environment to keep players on their toes, and thus, vehicle transformation. And as someone here said, there will be forks in the road where 2 different vehicle changes can occur and still be sharing the same path.
---
Proper sound shatters glass. Proper sound shatters the Universe.
#8MashYouGood(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2012 2:16:22 AM
^ A "hectic" race should not be forced.

That's what the MKs have done for years, with their rubber banding and n00b pandering weapons. And, as we all know, it sucks for everyone but the kiddies.

A tight / hectic race should only occur if the competitors are racing at an equal level. Sure, you'll get some one-sided races; but that's racing. At least when the close ones do occur (on merit), they're satisfying.

If I make mistakes, I don't want some scrubby weapon to 'reward' me for my ineptitude. I don't want an "Ultra" or "X-Ray" or "X Factor", if you will.
#9gokuKOGPosted 5/5/2012 11:28:26 PM
MashYouGood posted...
So then it's just a gimmick. The only thing the 'transformations' will change are the handling in their respective sections of the track.

I would have preferred them to do it more Diddy Kong Racing style, where each vehicle type had distinct advantages and disadvantages:
- karts easier to handle but more obstacles to negotiate
- planes fly but are slower / harder to handle
- hovercrafts go on water and are fastest but hardest to handle

So, you can balance things, as DKR demonstrated... in 1997.

It is not a gimmick breda. Go to the nearest medical store and get some anti-whine medicine.
---
I...WON'T LET YOU...GET AWAY...WITH THISSSSS.........