Is the game better than the demo?

#1Gunvalkyrie2Posted 11/29/2012 9:16:20 PM
Not really wowed by the demo even though I LOVE Panzer Dragoon... just wondering if anyone else was underwhelmed by the demo but then the actual game is A LOT BETTER? Also I didn't think the graphics were anymore than "good"..sort of bland.
---
It's not just a rumor, I heard it on Gamefaqs.
#2Skull06Posted 11/29/2012 9:47:16 PM
I think most people here bought the game and didn't bother with the demo. I would suggest that if you're a fan of kart games, that you pick this up. It is pretty good.
---
On Sara Silverman's attractiveness: "I am not into bestiality, so no, I am not attracted to that god damned centaur" -- Phantasium
#3DegalonPosted 11/29/2012 9:58:12 PM
To be honest, no. Panzer Dragoon is one of the top 4 tracks in the game. And everyone plays virtually the same (car, boat, plane). So if you didn't enjoy the demo, don't bother. give it a rent, though, to at least get to play Skies of Arcadia (number one map), After Burner (Number 2), and NiGHTS (Number 3).
---
GT/PSN: DEGALON
MK: Sheeva/Mileena, SSF4: Guile, BB: Makoto, DOA4: Leon, SC4: Astaroth, SF3: Alex, AH3: Zenia Valov, Tekken: Bryan Fury, VF: Vanessa
#4SR71haloPosted 11/30/2012 1:00:56 AM
And everyone plays virtually the same (car, boat, plane).

Not true. Everybody has their own stats and mods that you can use.

Anyway, the full game is fast paced and fun. The track design is much better than what the demo leads on. I'd say give it a try, especially if you are a fan of kart racers.
---
Now Leave!
#5DegalonPosted 11/30/2012 9:26:57 AM
SR71halo posted...

Anyway, the full game is fast paced and fun. The track design is much better than what the demo leads on. I'd say give it a try, especially if you are a fan of kart racers.

Well, 1) Hence why I said "virtually".

2) This is more of an actual racing game than a kart racer. Its just a racing game with items.
---
GT/PSN: DEGALON
MK: Sheeva/Mileena, SSF4: Guile, BB: Makoto, DOA4: Leon, SC4: Astaroth, SF3: Alex, AH3: Zenia Valov, Tekken: Bryan Fury, VF: Vanessa
#6Great_STreasurePosted 12/2/2012 5:37:13 AM(edited)
Degalon posted...
SR71halo posted...

Well, 1) Hence why I said "virtually".

2) This is more of an actual racing game than a kart racer. Its just a racing game with items.

Chalk it up to the OutRun 2 inspired physics (One of the games that put SUMO Digital on the map) and item balance courtesy of some of SplitSecond Velocity and Blur's developers (who, of course, helped with other aspects of the game). The drifting is still absurd (but certainly still hard to pull off successfully and/or cleanly), and the items are a bit harder to get used to if you're a Mario Kart player like I am.

Other than that, you pretty much have the definition of a racing game. And since when did karts get their own racing genre? That's the only thing I don't get.
Anything like this game could count as a racing game, it's simply the elements that differ. There are subcategories, admittedly, like an arcade racer, simulation and a few others (like the parent category of racing, which is driving. OutRun was one of the games that helped define this category to be not only about racing), but I doubt all Kart racing games are in their own special category. If you're talking stuff like Mario Kart, those go into the arcade racing category. This one also does, because of its items and wild track design (and, as I said earlier, the drifting physics of OutRun 2).
---
The Gene Wedge of...no board in particular.
Kyurem and the Sacred Swordsman describes the Black 2 Boards best: "Mudada!"
#7ILikesCheesePosted 12/2/2012 9:54:24 AM
Kart Racing is indeed a genre. One immediately knows that there will be cute characters, item boxes with weapons, over-simplified drifting mechanics, and cheap, rubberband AI. And insanely fun muliplayer matches. Usually. Not really getting that last one with this game so far unfortunately...
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#8gsk6390Posted 12/2/2012 10:19:30 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
Kart Racing is indeed a genre. One immediately knows that there will be cute characters, item boxes with weapons, over-simplified drifting mechanics, and cheap, rubberband AI. And insanely fun muliplayer matches. Usually. Not really getting that last one with this game so far unfortunately...

For many years now gamers are misusing the word genre for so many games, and I personally blame video game sites. A video game's genre determines its core gameplay & main objective. Therefore, 'kart racing' is not a genre but a style. The game's genre is still Racing

Also, cute characters has nothing to do with gameplay, thus it's never a determining factor for genre. Rubberbanding AI exists in most racing games
---
100 Awesome Kirbys: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=253
UK gamer with online Smash64 and MvC3
#9Gunvalkyrie2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 1:49:34 PM
must say after taking the plunge I am in love with this game..

oddly enough the ONE thing that almost kept me from it - the transforming - seemed like a gimmicky idea and I almost passed completely on this game and was sort of dismayed at the idea but after giving the game a chance they REALLY make this concept WORK and it REALLY is what helps make the game feel like a great sequel rather than a watered down "next game".
---
It's not just a rumor, I heard it on Gamefaqs.
#10Great_STreasurePosted 12/2/2012 7:10:37 PM(edited)
gsk6390 posted...
ILikesCheese posted...

For many years now gamers are misusing the word genre for so many games, and I personally blame video game sites. A video game's genre determines its core gameplay & main objective. Therefore, 'kart racing' is not a genre but a style. The game's genre is still Racing

Also, cute characters has nothing to do with gameplay, thus it's never a determining factor for genre. Rubberbanding AI exists in most racing games

THANK YOU.
Karts, wacky racing physics, item abuse and "cute characters" are not hand-in-hand all the time!
If we want a true "Kart racer" we would look no further than a simulator for kart racing (because that would fit in to the literal definition, being kart racing at its absolute core). But that's a bit hard to find these days, and we are getting many games which are, these days, integrating the concept straight into a standard racing game (take Gran Turismo for example), and we're being a bit specific on the nature of its definition.

I think it's safe to say we can just call it a day on this game's genre...it's part of the Driving genre, within Racing, categorised in Kart for its gameplay style. By no means is Kart Racing its own separate genre (defining that for a second...what we're trying to say is that it's not its own category which starts at the top of the tree, like Driving, Shoot-em-up and FPS) and it shouldn't be treated as such. This game is as much of a racing game as Forza Horizon is.

Edit: You know the wipEout series from Studio Liverpool, right? The only thing I see from that list above is the item abuse.
---
The Gene Wedge of...no board in particular.
Kyurem and the Sacred Swordsman describes the Black 2 Boards best: "Mudada!"