Is the game better than the demo?

#11DegalonPosted 12/3/2012 2:52:09 PM
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
must say after taking the plunge I am in love with this game..

oddly enough the ONE thing that almost kept me from it - the transforming - seemed like a gimmicky idea and I almost passed completely on this game and was sort of dismayed at the idea but after giving the game a chance they REALLY make this concept WORK and it REALLY is what helps make the game feel like a great sequel rather than a watered down "next game".

It helps that the transformation gimmick doesn't affect the game in any way. Its still straightforward races, just at certain points your controls tweak for a section of the race. Beyond that, its really pointless, just more of an aesthetic addition.

If the transformations were controllable or something, that would be different. Like my first race on Skies of Arcadia, after seeing the trailer, which explicitly shows Sonic ramping out of the water, switching to car, then later on driving back into the water and switching to boat, I tried to do the same. I turned left to drive on the road then tried to ramp off the road into the water....only the car didnt transform, since you have to follow the rings for that to happen, so its prescripted when you transform, defeating the entire point.
---
GT/PSN: DEGALON
MK: Sheeva/Mileena, SSF4: Guile, BB: Makoto, DOA4: Leon, SC4: Astaroth, SF3: Alex, AH3: Zenia Valov, Tekken: Bryan Fury, VF: Vanessa
#12Setnaro XPosted 12/3/2012 5:41:01 PM
If players had the choice to change their vehicles, everyone would just stick with the plane since its the fastest vehicle in the game, plus it's harder to hit folks in the air with the weapons. Similar to how everyone simply chose the plane in DKR. The idea with having the tracks do the change for you was to allow Sumo to come up with more dynamic tracks. With the transformation gimmick, it allows for awesome stages like Carrier Zone and Galactic Parade.
---
http://backloggery.com/SetnaroX
"Proper sound shatters glass. Proper sound shatters the Universe."
#13DegalonPosted 12/3/2012 5:46:27 PM
Setnaro X posted...
If players had the choice to change their vehicles, everyone would just stick with the plane since its the fastest vehicle in the game, plus it's harder to hit folks in the air with the weapons. Similar to how everyone simply chose the plane in DKR. The idea with having the tracks do the change for you was to allow Sumo to come up with more dynamic tracks. With the transformation gimmick, it allows for awesome stages like Carrier Zone and Galactic Parade.

Well, they coulda gotten around that by making it an item pickup, or making the tracks too cramped to make plane always work. (Low ceilings, etc)

Regardless, I'm just saying that since its scripted, it makes no difference that your car can transform. You are still just racing along the same route as normal.
---
MK: Sheeva/Mileena, SSF4: Guile, BB: Makoto, DOA4: Leon, SC4: Astaroth, SF3: Alex, AH3: Zenia Valov, Tekken: Bryan Fury, VF: Vanessa
#14SR71haloPosted 12/3/2012 5:55:44 PM
The transformation gimmick is what makes the game more interesting. Each lap changes which makes the tracks more fun to play and your strategies change with each section of the race. I wouldn't be too happy if you could change into anything at any time, especially since there would be little to no reason NOT to be a plane.
---
Now Leave!
#15DegalonPosted 12/4/2012 5:00:10 PM
SR71halo posted...
The transformation gimmick is what makes the game more interesting. Each lap changes which makes the tracks more fun to play and your strategies change with each section of the race. I wouldn't be too happy if you could change into anything at any time, especially since there would be little to no reason NOT to be a plane.

Ehm..i can kinda see that...but for the most part (except tracks like NiGHTS and Burning Rangers), it just feels like one really lone lap, rather than 3 laps.
---
#16ILikesCheesePosted 12/5/2012 11:15:32 AM
gsk6390 posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
Kart Racing is indeed a genre. One immediately knows that there will be cute characters, item boxes with weapons, over-simplified drifting mechanics, and cheap, rubberband AI. And insanely fun muliplayer matches. Usually. Not really getting that last one with this game so far unfortunately...

For many years now gamers are misusing the word genre for so many games, and I personally blame video game sites. A video game's genre determines its core gameplay & main objective. Therefore, 'kart racing' is not a genre but a style. The game's genre is still Racing

Also, cute characters has nothing to do with gameplay, thus it's never a determining factor for genre. Rubberbanding AI exists in most racing games

You say potatoe, I say potato.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this front. "Genres" are not merely limited to the primary color video game alternative of "Fighting, Racing, Shooting, Strategy." For example, Sim Racing is a genre. Arcade Racing is a genre. And yes, Kart Racing is a genre.

Look no further than industry heads and game developers themselves defining the term in discussions about "Playstation All Stars Battle Royal." (FYI, Google that to discover a long treatise on the "Mascot Fighter" genre, the fighting game equivalent of a kart racer.)
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#17gsk6390Posted 12/5/2012 12:54:35 PM
ILikesCheese posted...
Look no further than industry heads and game developers themselves defining the term in discussions about "Playstation All Stars Battle Royal." (FYI, Google that to discover a long treatise on the "Mascot Fighter" genre, the fighting game equivalent of a kart racer.)

If higher ups of ANY industry use a word incorrectly, that doesn't mean the definition of the word has actually changed. If they misuse the word genre, then they're just as incorrect as any other person in the world. They cannot change the meaning of a word just to suit their needs

And "Mascot Fighter" is certainly NOT a genre (or even a style of gameplay). Being a mascot is NOT a determining factor on the core gameplay & objective of a game. A character's skin, label and status is NOT gameplay. What's more is that Smash Bros originally had brand new characters during its development stages before they decided to slap Nintendo characters & themes all over it. If they had continued with their original idea, how would Smash Bros (or rather Dragon King) be a "Mascot Fighter" when it would 've had no mascots even though the gameplay would still be identical to what we know of today? Also, Power Stone doesn't even have any mascots! How can that be a "Mascot Fighter"!?
---
100 Awesome Kirbys: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=253
UK gamer with online Smash64 and MvC3
#18ILikesCheesePosted 12/6/2012 7:05:49 AM
Unfortunately the incorrect definition and usage of the word "genre" is ingrained in your head, so there's nothing I can do for you in this situation.

I could perhaps post several links to discussions on this, or invite you to use Google, but you seem to be one of those types to think "Everyone is wrong except for me." If a hundred people say left, you will still be convinced that right is the correct response because, heeeyyyy, you're you!

As I said, in such cases, the only solution is to agree to disagree. (By any chance, are you Republican? They have a tendency to interpret facts in a rather unique manner too.)

:D
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#19ILikesCheesePosted 12/6/2012 7:12:24 AM(edited)
By the way, I'm not the one who coined the term "Mascot Fighter" either.

It has been around for some time. I heard it for the first time back in 1999, and since then it has come to mean a "Smash Brothers" style game. Even though the term was originally used in conjunction with 2D fighters like Marvel vs Capcom if I remember correctly.

---
#20gsk6390Posted 12/6/2012 1:56:30 PM
ILikesCheese posted...
Unfortunately the incorrect definition and usage of the word "genre" is ingrained in your head, so there's nothing I can do for you in this situation

So what's the correct definition of genre for video games?

ILikesCheese posted...
I could perhaps post several links to discussions on this, or invite you to use Google, but you seem to be one of those types to think "Everyone is wrong except for me." If a hundred people say left, you will still be convinced that right is the correct response because, heeeyyyy, you're you!

Instead of continuing an interesting discussion with someone, you chose to jump to conclusions. That too because of a disagreement that doesn't even imply any of the judgments you made. Remarks like yours are why trying to talk to others about video games on forums suck. Too many forum users are far more concerned about labelling and stereotyping others instead of actually discussing things

ILikesCheese posted...
By any chance, are you Republican? They have a tendency to interpret facts in a rather unique manner too

If I were to 'return the favour' and be as judgmental as in your 2 quoted remarks, I'd be claiming that you have terrible reading comprehension. Instead of being condescending, it's obvious to me that you most likely didn't read my sig. Therefore, you most likely have yet to realise that someone like me is VERY unlikely to care about American politics to that extent due to not living in America. Stop making baseless assumptions

ILikesCheese posted...
By the way, I'm not the one who coined the term "Mascot Fighter" either.

It has been around for some time. I heard it for the first time back in 1999, and since then it has come to mean a "Smash Brothers" style game. Even though the term was originally used in conjunction with 2D fighters like Marvel vs Capcom if I remember correctly

The thing is, saying a game is a "Mascot Fighter" is just giving a general description. It's no different to someone saying GoldenEye is a Licensed Game. It doesn't mean they're talking about its genre, they're just describing it in an ordinary manner
---
100 Awesome Kirbys: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=253
UK gamer with online Smash64 and MvC3