So I convinced myself to buy this for the full $40 retail.

#21Great_STreasurePosted 12/2/2012 7:53:40 PM
Legends Kuja posted...
It's more 'we don't have time for this' rather than 'it's too hard'. People want the experience without all the time consuming. So many games, so little time.

Sad, but true. Sumo really wants the players to put the effort into their game this time around, and removed the SEGA Miles unlocks of the previous game for that reason! The dedicated gamers will be the ones to get the rewards!
---
The Gene Wedge of...no board in particular.
Kyurem and the Sacred Swordsman describes the Black 2 Boards best: "Mudada!"
#22I_Got_Rhythm(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 10:09:27 PM
You guys very obviously don't seem to get my point.

I wouldn't expect you too though, being that we're all on the gamefaq's board for this game of all games.
---
GT: Call Me Rhythm
SSBB FC - 5200-6413-1656
#23Great_STreasurePosted 12/2/2012 11:24:11 PM(edited)
What WAS your point?

If it was that children would be stuck playing the same characters, then that's not really an argument for making everything even easier. The younger ones wouldn't know who half the cast is (Note that a majority of them come from games they wouldn't have known about (from the arcade to even the Dreamcast), and their most recent appearances weren't in their childhoods either), let alone know how many references AGES makes to SEGA's history. It really is a case of the characters being from franchises that only those who earned them would know about.

Of course, Wreck-It Ralph and Danica Patrick are another case entirely, but one's from a recent movie which many children might have watched (and is a starting character) while the other's from NASCAR and is an unlockable anyway.

All in all, it's just best to let them have their fun. They'll be growing up and playing the game at their best later, if the game's kept in their collection. Besides, they can get other people to do the hard work for them. Seriously, that's what I would do if I had kids who wanted to just mess about in my games!

And at what age, do you think, you would have enough skill to make it through the first GP anyway?
---
#24cup_a_soupPosted 12/3/2012 4:21:18 AM
TC sounds like one of those people that complained that "King" on Virtua Tennis was too hard to unlock. Did you also complain that unlocking Jet Set Radio's full roster of characters was too hard?

There have been consistent complaints this gen that people find working hard for nothing but a measly achievement is the bane of this gen, whereas last gen you would unlock maps, costumes and characters instead. Sumo have gone back to this approach, and people have done nothing but complain. It's disgusting what this gen has done to the gaming population.
#25Setnaro XPosted 12/3/2012 5:12:49 AM
My brother, at just 10 years old, is able to play the game on Expert, and in several occasions, get first place. Make of that if you will.
---
http://backloggery.com/SetnaroX
"Proper sound shatters glass. Proper sound shatters the Universe."
#26Great_STreasurePosted 12/3/2012 5:24:02 AM
Setnaro X posted...
My brother, at just 10 years old, is able to play the game on Expert, and in several occasions, get first place. Make of that if you will.

Well, there you go.
Admittedly this is about the time where a child would start to get serious about gaming, so this gives us a clue about what demographic the TC is talking about in reality, compared to what he thought he was talking about.
---
#27I_Got_Rhythm(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 7:52:38 AM
Great_STreasure posted...
Setnaro X posted...

Well, there you go.
Admittedly this is about the time where a child would start to get serious about gaming, so this gives us a clue about what demographic the TC is talking about in reality, compared to what he thought he was talking about.

Yes, because that one child defines the entire demographic.

My point is that the developers made this game for people like themselves, the likely minority- including the majority of us on this board- rather than keeping in mind what would wind up being the majority of kids who play this game. The learning curve is way too steep to force mastery for character unlocks.
---
SSBB FC - 5200-6413-1656
#28SR71haloPosted 12/3/2012 8:15:11 AM
I_Got_Rhythm posted...
Setnaro X posted...

Well, there you go.

My point is that the developers made this game for people like themselves, the likely minority- including the majority of us on this board- rather than keeping in mind what would wind up being the majority of kids who play this game. The learning curve is way too steep to force mastery for character unlocks.

That may be just one child, but it shows that kids can be good at a game like this when given enough practice. Hell, I have seen and heard of other kids who are good at video games. If that one child can do well at this game, then many others can too.
---
Now Leave!
#29Misdreavus573Posted 12/3/2012 8:31:20 AM
Why are we acting like this is the IWBTG of racing games all of a sudden? It's not that hard.

I'm not even that good at games, but while the game does a good job at challenging me, I'm unlocking the characters just fine. And worst case scenario, I can always beat it easily on C-Class.

Sorry to say this, but if you're really having that hard of a time unlocking characters, you're just going to have to stop sucking.
#30I_Got_Rhythm(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 11:44:52 AM
SR71halo posted...
I_Got_Rhythm posted...
Setnaro X posted...

Well, there you go.

That may be just one child, but it shows that kids can be good at a game like this when given enough practice. Hell, I have seen and heard of other kids who are good at video games. If that one child can do well at this game, then many others can too.

Oh, I apologize, I didn't realize enough practice guaranteed complete success at everything- it is a nice sentiment.

Oh, I also didn't realize that because you have seen and heard of other kids that are good, that it's safe to generalize that the majority of them are just as good or can be.

Also, I'm an astrophysicist, tell me when you're one.
---
SSBB FC - 5200-6413-1656