So I convinced myself to buy this for the full $40 retail.

#31valkyrieslayerPosted 12/3/2012 2:38:10 PM
This gen has done a lot of hand holding and I'm pretty happy to see a game that isn't handing me everything for doing, well, nothing. Now having said that, I do think this game does have difficulty and not all of it fair. Doesn't make it any where near impossible to do though.

Practice is key with this game, like a lot of other games. Not overly common in this genre but it happens. This used to be the norm. Bought a game, took it home and played through the main campaign/story/etc and unlocked things that way.

Games a pain in the ass at times, yes, but I don't think you're giving gives enough credit. We did it back in the day, i'm sure they can handle it now. Hell, this game could be considered tame to some of the games from last gen when it comes to unlocking things.
---
"They say lions push their cubs off a cliff to test their worthiness. I just want to push you off a cliff. Good luck!" ~ Ms. Kittycat (disgaea 3)
#32SR71haloPosted 12/3/2012 3:11:43 PM
I_Got_Rhythm posted...
SR71halo posted...
I_Got_Rhythm posted...
Great_STreasure posted...
Setnaro X posted...
My brother, at just 10 years old, is able to play the game on Expert, and in several occasions, get first place. Make of that if you will.

Well, there you go.
Admittedly this is about the time where a child would start to get serious about gaming, so this gives us a clue about what demographic the TC is talking about in reality, compared to what he thought he was talking about.

Yes, because that one child defines the entire demographic.

My point is that the developers made this game for people like themselves, the likely minority- including the majority of us on this board- rather than keeping in mind what would wind up being the majority of kids who play this game. The learning curve is way too steep to force mastery for character unlocks.

That may be just one child, but it shows that kids can be good at a game like this when given enough practice. Hell, I have seen and heard of other kids who are good at video games. If that one child can do well at this game, then many others can too.

Oh, I apologize, I didn't realize enough practice guaranteed complete success at everything- it is a nice sentiment.

Oh, I also didn't realize that because you have seen and heard of other kids that are good, that it's safe to generalize that the majority of them are just as good or can be.

Also, I'm an astrophysicist, tell me when you're one.

Dude, calm down. There's no need for sarcastic responses such as that.

Also, the fact that I've even heard of kids can be good at video games pretty much proves that they can be good enough at this game, disproving your previous point that it's too hard for them. This game is challenging, but it's not undoable, not even for kids.
---
Now Leave!
#33I_Got_Rhythm(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 3:45:14 PM
SR71halo posted...
Dude, calm down. There's no need for sarcastic responses such as that.

Also, the fact that I've even heard of kids can be good at video games pretty much proves that they can be good enough at this game, disproving your previous point that it's too hard for them. This game is challenging, but it's not undoable, not even for kids.

You're not disproving anything telling me that you know of children who may have excelled at this game. The fact that you're still unable to comprehend how to correctly hypothesize demonstrates clearly to me that you lack the capacity to take part in this argument.

I felt the sarcasm was fair, given the fact that you tried to imply that I was ignorant earlier on and now are making radical generalizations as though they are completely sound.

Also, for the half of you that, for some reason, get the impression that I am saying I'm bad at this game. Go learn how to read please.

Thnx
---
GT: Call Me Rhythm
SSBB FC - 5200-6413-1656
#34SR71haloPosted 12/3/2012 4:25:08 PM
You're not disproving anything telling me that you know of children who may have excelled at this game. The fact that you're still unable to comprehend how to correctly hypothesize demonstrates clearly to me that you lack the capacity to take part in this argument.

You implied in the first post that children would be stuck with only a portion of the full roster and are stuck with them because the game is "too hard". Perhaps it is for some children, but not everybody.

I felt the sarcasm was fair, given the fact that you tried to imply that I was ignorant earlier on and now are making radical generalizations as though they are completely sound.

Uncalled for, actually, especially the last sentence. There's hardly any excuse for being an ass, especially when I didn't try to insult you in any way.
---
Now Leave!
#35I_Got_Rhythm(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 6:42:52 PM
Really dude, you're not saying anything with substance at this point that I haven't already addressed or countered.

And if that's all it takes to make you feel as though you're being mercilessly and wrongfully attacked then you should probably stop posting in this topic.
---
SSBB FC - 5200-6413-1656
#36valkyrieslayerPosted 12/3/2012 6:54:45 PM
I'm kind of curious now. You say you're ok with the world tour mode itself you just don't like that it's required to get characters given it's difficulty (from what i'm understanding anyway).

So how would you have liked characters to have been unlocked personally?
---
"They say lions push their cubs off a cliff to test their worthiness. I just want to push you off a cliff. Good luck!" ~ Ms. Kittycat (disgaea 3)
#37I_Got_Rhythm(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 8:40:44 PM
valkyrieslayer posted...
I'm kind of curious now. You say you're ok with the world tour mode itself you just don't like that it's required to get characters given it's difficulty (from what i'm understanding anyway).

So how would you have liked characters to have been unlocked personally?

YES! Thank you! Maybe this discussion can redeem itself after all.

Look, World Tour mode is fine, I'm up for a challenge as likely most posters on this forum are. I'm not saying to get rid of it, I'm saying to refine it, assign it different rewards; compromise so 100%, or at least the majority, of its players are satisfied.

You're asking how I would like characters to be unlocked? There are surely many alternative facets that I would find more suitable than the current. To name a few; lower the required skill level, make progress towards unlocking measured in time rather than skill, or even make it dependent on pure matches played- something Super Smash Brothers has successfully implemented. Unlocking the Avatar and Dr. Eggman characters through the Grand Prix is a fine example.

What can replace unlocking characters as a reward? Three things which come to mind immediately are achievements, your license, and recorded comparative statistics/leaderboards as they already have a place in the game- just emphasize their importance/modify them. There are plenty of less gameplay/playability influencing factors that could be easily made into goals and rewards for the players who need that sense of accomplishment.

Really though, when it comes down to it, are you going to be bragging about having unlocked all of the characters to your fellow peers or are you going to be bragging about beating everything on expert mode?

Assuming you brag over a game like this.
---
SSBB FC - 5200-6413-1656
#38Great_STreasurePosted 12/3/2012 9:42:50 PM
Now I don't get the statements at all. The way Smash Bros. did it is still a bit difficult because you have to play for so long or very consistently, and their difficulty is dependent on what you're using at the time. Sure, no problem there.

However, what we were complaining about with the way the characters were unlocked in THIS game series was the fact that it was simply TOO EASY to unlock them via pure mileage.

Also, why would you want to replace a hard-earned character reward with something as lowly as Achievements, unless, as you said, their importance was modified (which, clearly, it wasn't - being relegated to the stickers for your license like the last game)? They aren't worth ANYTHING otherwise, except on the Xbox! This game is trying NOT to be Mario Kart here, and it clearly shows!
Besides, isn't the difficulty being tweaked in the World Tour soon with the 1.02 (I think that was the version) patch, at least for the Wii U?

The only real statistic that people care about these days is online, so the point of putting emphasis on making your stats important is kinda moot for the majority of players.

The license already has a reward if you manage to progress through the game fully, and that's a triple-star license - a title for those who made it.

Really, this game is closer to racing simulation games than it is to stuff like Mario Kart, because of how you progress and earn your characters.
And trust me...of course it's going to be a difficult challenge if the last character is a Dreamcast controller boat, F-14 Tomcat and Hornet hybrid which pays tribute to SEGA history - getting such a vehicle is only really worth it if you put in the dedication to the game.
---
The Gene Wedge of...no board in particular.
Kyurem and the Sacred Swordsman describes the Black 2 Boards best: "Mudada!"
#39Fastest_SpartanPosted 12/4/2012 1:21:50 AM
I_Got_Rhythm posted...
Really dude, you're not saying anything with substance at this point that I haven't already addressed or countered.

And if that's all it takes to make you feel as though you're being mercilessly and wrongfully attacked then you should probably stop posting in this topic.

Whether or not his argument held any substance, your words were a little harsh.
---
If someone tries to touch you, DO A BARREL ROLL!!!
#40teehee23Posted 12/4/2012 1:57:43 AM
Chagen46 posted...
How dare a game be challenging and not hold your hand every step of the way!

There's a thing you need to do TC, it's called "Stop whining and get better".

They can whine all they want and what are you going to do about it?
Absolutely nothing.

I don't know if the devs ran out of time for more playtesting / balancing and had to meet the holiday release date but this game has a very tough difficulty curve compared to the 1st game and is, in fact, much too difficult for younger kids (which the game seems directed at). So many players say this and it's not like we haven't played difficult games before.

SEGA recently released a patch that much improved the control for NiGHTS on XBLA and PSN and this was because gamers, including myself, posted our thoughts and opinions on forums. SEGA listened and a tiny 560 k patch made the control for NiGHTS much better. So much better. That same kind of feedback could possibly have the same results regarding this game so gamers are posting their opinions and if you don't like it then you know what you can do.
Twice.

You're welcome.
---
Don't hate us because we're beautiful...