I wanna unlock all the characters for when I have friends around...

#1BirthOfDeoxys17Posted 12/4/2012 4:30:56 AM
But in the process of doing so, I'll be infinitely better than any of them who haven't played the game yet.

What a stupid unlocking system.

Glad I rented it because I am absolutely not buying this. Less variety than the previous game, and unlocking stuff is a stupid chore. God forbid I just want a fun game to play with friends.
#2FredCat07Posted 12/4/2012 8:42:01 AM
It's SEGA, dude... they made it super bad. If you have to get characters, just process through World Tour on Hard/Expert difficult.
---
I used to be hearing person like you, until I took the fever in my ears. ~FredCat
#3SR71haloPosted 12/4/2012 9:45:35 AM(edited)
Less variety than the previous game

I felt like there was more variety here. There's more to do, there's higher replay value, there's more modes to play in multiplayer for both online and off, and the tracks offer WAY more variety than the first game ever did.
---
Now Leave!
#4peny pickerPosted 12/4/2012 12:43:25 PM
...another "oh noes this game is hardz!" topic?...Heaven forbid a game might actually reward playing it rather than handing you all the content on a ****ing platter!
---
I started the amazing QSTP in 7 seconds, thus you must bow down to me!
http://hubpages.com/profile/S.Graveson
#5Gazza_XPosted 12/4/2012 2:05:20 PM
BirthOfDeoxys17 posted...
Less variety than the previous game,

LOL, wut?
#6WiredKnightPosted 12/4/2012 3:07:03 PM
peny picker posted...
...another "oh noes this game is hardz!" topic?...Heaven forbid a game might actually reward playing it rather than handing you all the content on a ****ing platter!

Actually no I get his point on this one and I was thinking about this yesterday. I'm only about 10 stars from unlocking everybody. There was a point where I could barely manage 4th or 5th in A class, now I can get 1st almost everytime (discounting tracks I think are awful - Burning Rangers and Chilly Castle). But this is because I've sunk several hours into having to improve in order to get the characters unlocked so they are open for my friends when we play.

Trouble is that with this much practice at such a hard level you are BOUND to get better. But your friends who either only play online or just came over to play some split screen won't have that experience. Yeah a lot of games will have this happen to them when people play online or at home but this game FORCES you to play on a very hard difficulty setting to just get the characters unlocked which is what everybody wants when they play multiplayer (same complaints go around for fighting games not having most of the roster unlocked from the start).

TC's problem isn't the difficulty in and of itself, it's that it makes the game less fun with friends if you have people who just want to play split screen with you because they won't have anywhere close to the same experience let alone dealing with such a hard difficulty level.

Think about it this way:

If I could unlock all the characters playing no higher than B class (and getting most on C) and then my friends come over and we play a split screen grand prix, odds are in favor I'll come in first but within a reasonable distance.

Game as it is however I have to play almost everything on A class and even a few on S class to unlock the characters. Now let's say the same friends come over for a split screen grand prix. What happens now? On C or B class I will be so far in the lead it's ridiculous and nobody will be having any fun. Or I can put the game on A or S class in which case I'll probably do fine but my friends will be doing terribly by comparison and the fun of the game is just gone.

And this isn't a simple problem solved by "just get better" because we're generally not talking about people who even have that opportunity to get better. Although they don't have the game or just enjoy racers for multiplayer (which is A LOT of people) they can only play it when they're over at my place. I however have basically been forced to play on such a high setting that I'm getting progressively better and better to the point that it's not possible to enjoy a casual game without handicapping myself.
#7Fastest_SpartanPosted 12/4/2012 4:07:03 PM(edited)
WiredKnight posted...
peny picker posted...

Actually no I get his point on this one and I was thinking about this yesterday. I'm only about 10 stars from unlocking everybody. There was a point where I could barely manage 4th or 5th in A class, now I can get 1st almost everytime (discounting tracks I think are awful - Burning Rangers and Chilly Castle). But this is because I've sunk several hours into having to improve in order to get the characters unlocked so they are open for my friends when we play.

Trouble is that with this much practice at such a hard level you are BOUND to get better. But your friends who either only play online or just came over to play some split screen won't have that experience. Yeah a lot of games will have this happen to them when people play online or at home but this game FORCES you to play on a very hard difficulty setting to just get the characters unlocked which is what everybody wants when they play multiplayer (same complaints go around for fighting games not having most of the roster unlocked from the start).

TC's problem isn't the difficulty in and of itself, it's that it makes the game less fun with friends if you have people who just want to play split screen with you because they won't have anywhere close to the same experience let alone dealing with such a hard difficulty level.

Think about it this way:

If I could unlock all the characters playing no higher than B class (and getting most on C) and then my friends come over and we play a split screen grand prix, odds are in favor I'll come in first but within a reasonable distance.

Game as it is however I have to play almost everything on A class and even a few on S class to unlock the characters. Now let's say the same friends come over for a split screen grand prix. What happens now? On C or B class I will be so far in the lead it's ridiculous and nobody will be having any fun. Or I can put the game on A or S class in which case I'll probably do fine but my friends will be doing terribly by comparison and the fun of the game is just gone.

And this isn't a simple problem solved by "just get better" because we're generally not talking about people who even have that opportunity to get better. Although they don't have the game or just enjoy racers for multiplayer (which is A LOT of people) they can only play it when they're over at my place. I however have basically been forced to play on such a high setting that I'm getting progressively better and better to the point that it's not possible to enjoy a casual game without handicapping myself.

Except you would get better playing this game anyway, WT or no WT. As you said, the same complaint could be for any game anymore like Halo or Call of Duty; you had more time to play it, you will more than likely be better than the friends that don't have it. It is true that you must play on harder difficulties to unlock everything, but you would be crushing your friends if you didn't too I reckon.
---
If someone tries to touch you, DO A BARREL ROLL!!!
#8EALionheartPosted 12/4/2012 11:22:04 PM
Why not just unlock stuff with your friends? You can do co-op on World Tour.
---
You can't take the sky from me.
#9DegalonPosted 12/5/2012 5:32:11 AM
Its the equivalent of level grinding on an MMO character that you promised your friends youd level with them. Now when you try to play with your friends, you are 30 levels above them.
---
GT/PSN: DEGALON
MK: Sheeva/Mileena, SSF4: Guile, BB: Makoto, DOA4: Leon, SC4: Astaroth, SF3: Alex, AH3: Zenia Valov, Tekken: Bryan Fury, VF: Vanessa
#10LeeonoPosted 12/5/2012 5:50:41 AM
Agree with TC. My 5 year old son loved the first one so we got him this one too. Even at his young age and poor skill level, when he lost he could still unlock characters eventually on the first game but on Transformed he has no chance. Not really fair on younger gamers when the game is marketed as a family game.

I ended up unlocking them on this but it robbed him of his sense of accomplishment, like he had in the first game.
---
I have come too far, to lag now!