I wanna unlock all the characters for when I have friends around...

#11WiredKnightPosted 12/5/2012 1:04:03 PM
Fastest_Spartan posted...

Except you would get better playing this game anyway, WT or no WT. As you said, the same complaint could be for any game anymore like Halo or Call of Duty; you had more time to play it, you will more than likely be better than the friends that don't have it. It is true that you must play on harder difficulties to unlock everything, but you would be crushing your friends if you didn't too I reckon.

I concede this point it is true as I stated in my original post. The problem is the type of game you're talking about and what its general playstyle is. I own several mario karts. To unlock everybody in mario kart all I have to do is run through all the grand prixs generally. At worst I have to do this on each CC. That said, the AI doesn't really change in mario kart, the same skill level can beat 50 cc as can beat 150 cc (IMO). I don't have to get better and better to just to unlock the characters.

This game however to unlock all the characters I have to practice drifting, boosting, shooting, pure racing etc. And I have to do it at gradually more difficult settings until I can run a track almost perfect. At current count my playtime has exceeded 15 hours to unlock everybody. A mario Kart would never require this many hours to unlock the entire cast (let alone the bulk of it).

Compared to things like Halo and CoD however I woudl get better from playing online repeatedly but we're tlaking totally different social structures of game here. Wheras a game like CoD or Halo thrives on online (or a campaign which really teaches you nothing for multi) Kart racers thrive mostly in party formats and split screen. They are games that once you have the cast unlocked to your liking you generally just let the game sit there till friends come over and that's the only time it gets played. Additionaly the disciplines this game asks of you directly correlate to a better performance in a party format.

You also can't solve it by doing world tour with everybody. Again this is because unless your friends play it with you entirely (and improve at the same rate you do) that mode won't be any fun past the initial run to get to the end of it. You can find three friends to play a race or two in it with you, but do you think you can fidn three that will sit for an hour and a half doing the same traffic attack till you S rank it? Probably not.
#12DarkAdonis123Posted 12/7/2012 3:05:30 AM
This game's AI is ridiculous. I was getting frustrated just watching my son play. He had the hot rod power up and couldn't pass racers that were literally right in front of him. I've also noticed the AI:

-Has pinpoint accuracy
-Get boosts for no reason at all.
-Doesn't slow down much when hit with items.
-Will shoot items backwards at you instead of who's in front of them, even if you're in LAST PLACE.
-Never makes any mistakes.
-Always goes all star, even if they're in first place.

Being challenging is one thing. Being cheap as hell is another. Its way too unforgiving for them to be marketing it as a family game.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#13Edwin LimPosted 12/7/2012 10:58:03 AM
^ Don't forget the AI loves to RAM you off the track. I had it happen many times. There was even once when I was playing at the Super Monkey Ball track and the 2nd place AI (I was 1st) rams me right into the moving ball before the water section. It was the biggest BS that could ever happen. Thank god I still manage to win at the end.

As for the trigger happy AI, You can bait the AI by snaking left and right hoping they shoot at you while your turning and they miss, wasting their items. Its a technique I put to good use when I play against the brutal S class AI. It works.

However, doing things like this just teaches you bad habits which will screw you up in online play. Its just like playing against an AI in a fighting game. You just learn habits which will never work against real people.
---
Driving a PC racer with the keyboard is about as effective as typing an e-mail with your car's steering wheel. ~ Brian Ekberg
#14megasoniczxxPosted 12/8/2012 5:58:57 AM
WiredKnight posted...
Fastest_Spartan posted...

Except you would get better playing this game anyway, WT or no WT. As you said, the same complaint could be for any game anymore like Halo or Call of Duty; you had more time to play it, you will more than likely be better than the friends that don't have it. It is true that you must play on harder difficulties to unlock everything, but you would be crushing your friends if you didn't too I reckon.

I concede this point it is true as I stated in my original post. The problem is the type of game you're talking about and what its general playstyle is. I own several mario karts. To unlock everybody in mario kart all I have to do is run through all the grand prixs generally. At worst I have to do this on each CC. That said, the AI doesn't really change in mario kart, the same skill level can beat 50 cc as can beat 150 cc (IMO). I don't have to get better and better to just to unlock the characters.

This game however to unlock all the characters I have to practice drifting, boosting, shooting, pure racing etc. And I have to do it at gradually more difficult settings until I can run a track almost perfect. At current count my playtime has exceeded 15 hours to unlock everybody. A mario Kart would never require this many hours to unlock the entire cast (let alone the bulk of it).

Compared to things like Halo and CoD however I woudl get better from playing online repeatedly but we're tlaking totally different social structures of game here. Wheras a game like CoD or Halo thrives on online (or a campaign which really teaches you nothing for multi) Kart racers thrive mostly in party formats and split screen. They are games that once you have the cast unlocked to your liking you generally just let the game sit there till friends come over and that's the only time it gets played. Additionaly the disciplines this game asks of you directly correlate to a better performance in a party format.

You also can't solve it by doing world tour with everybody. Again this is because unless your friends play it with you entirely (and improve at the same rate you do) that mode won't be any fun past the initial run to get to the end of it. You can find three friends to play a race or two in it with you, but do you think you can fidn three that will sit for an hour and a half doing the same traffic attack till you S rank it? Probably not.

doesn't Mario kart wii kinda require you to do some ridiculous things just unlock some characters (find it waayy more ridiculous that the grand prix rankings were based on skill when you need almost none for the game in total) plus in this game at best its only the really hard tracks that would require a lot of practice on. Also, im not getting mad at you or anything for the argument about friends not being able to compete with you but this isn't the first kart racer to do this since currently the only kart racer anybody can really compete with me in is Mario kart which once again doesn't require you to do much but use items but even in the first ASR none of the friends I know can even keep up with me and don't keep up enough interest to keep playing and while it sounds weird only my 11 year old nephews can keep up with me in one racing game which is sonic rider's which I also normally smoke people in but through practice now they can atleast keep up with me and sometimes even beat me (granted I don't play it much now since the computers easy now) and the same can be done with this game and like someone else said world tour does have multiplayer so if your friends feel like it they can help you unlock the characters since the world tour is actually pretty fun, the only difference with this game is is that it requires a little more practice than others but trust me everything gets easier even the computer once you learn how to avoid them.
#15FredCat07Posted 12/8/2012 6:28:08 AM
Edwin Lim posted...
As for the trigger happy AI, You can bait the AI by snaking left and right hoping they shoot at you while your turning and they miss, wasting their items. Its a technique I put to good use when I play against the brutal S class AI. It works.

That happened to me in one race game (most base on street race, not look like "Under Speed", just race); I just waved my control stick and one A.I. followed my move, accidentally drove itself into the wall just before the curve turn, crashed itself. That do surprising me since.
---
I used to be hearing person like you, until I took the fever in my ears. ~FredCat
#16Obviously322Posted 12/8/2012 10:37:26 AM(edited)
So let me get this straight, your chief complaint is that your friends suck at video game?

Also this is hard? I guess none of you cut your teeth with F-Zero GX.
#17megasoniczxxPosted 12/8/2012 1:09:20 PM
Obviously322 posted...
So let me get this straight, your chief complaint is that your friends suck at video game?

Also this is hard? I guess none of you cut your teeth with F-Zero GX.

oh god that story mode and that ai that is almost impossible to pass without boosting constantly on higher difficulties.
#18SILKAPosted 12/9/2012 1:16:21 PM
They'll probably release a Unlock Everything DLC later on.
---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#19SILKAPosted 12/9/2012 1:56:37 PM
After they release Metal Sonic & Outrun Bay as DLC.
---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#20blazingsonicPosted 12/10/2012 11:28:13 AM
peny picker posted...
...another "oh noes this game is hardz!" topic?...Heaven forbid a game might actually reward playing it rather than handing you all the content on a ****ing platter!

What's with people and thinking every game should be blood vessel popping hard to be rewarding? Want to be rewarded for hard work? Get a job. Games are ment to be fun now your leading cause of having a stroke.
---
PSZ FC: Team-B 1892-2449-7676
PSZ FC Team-A 4125-5095-5213