Online Racing... To much downtime between races?

#1R_Fated_CirclePosted 12/10/2012 3:55:52 AM(edited)
So I know this topic isn't really going change anything and first let me start off by saying I really love this game but i don't play it online often and I think I finally figured out why and I think it's because of the downtime in between each race online which is probably around 3-4 minutes. Hear me out say you race a track online with 8 or so players, you get first place you now have to wait 30 or more seconds for every one to finish their last lap. It shouldn't be this way but every game I've raced online there is always someone who dominates the other racers and nobody ever finishes within seconds of each other so your going have to wait that 30 seconds for the game to disqualify those lagging behind.

Then after that you have to wait a few dozen more seconds for the game to calculate and do the whole lvl up exp screen thing which is especially annoying when you already have a max lvl character and gain nothing yet still have to watch this screen. Then you have to go to a loading screen for it to allow you to vote on the next track you have about 20+ seconds of wait time there. Then you have to go to the character select screen and pick a new character they give you around 30+ seconds here. Then your prompted to wait at another screen while it loads the track which is another 10+ seconds and finally once it loads up the track and shows the intro it has to sync up all the racers which takes another few dozen seconds.

This may seem like nitpicking but waiting and watching all these loading screens after every single track really just slows down the whole game imo, anyone else feel the same way?
---
Where's your passion fight like you mean it! "Hilde - Soul Calibur V"
#2ILikesCheesePosted 12/10/2012 7:55:47 PM
Yes.

But I've also noticed this A LOT this year with MP games. "Max Payne 3" for instance was intolerable in it's wait between matches. NFSMW? Forget it. The new console generation cannot get there fast enough. (And no, it still isn't here yet.)
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#3DegalonPosted 12/10/2012 8:02:44 PM
And thanks to the new track designs, you can't just make it like 8 laps to make the waiting time worth it.
---
GT/PSN: DEGALON
MK: Sheeva/Mileena, SSF4: Guile, BB: Makoto, DOA4: Leon, SC4: Astaroth, SF3: Alex, AH3: Zenia Valov, Tekken: Bryan Fury, VF: Vanessa
#4megasoniczxxPosted 12/11/2012 4:56:24 PM
Degalon posted...
And thanks to the new track designs, you can't just make it like 8 laps to make the waiting time worth it.

^This its probably my one complaint about this game besides the lack of a sound test option, these tracks are so good I wish that they could go on for longer without being gimped like they are in time trial.
#5R_Fated_Circle(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 3:49:47 PM
That would be awesome if you could choose the amount of laps before the race, would be even more awesome if this game had a lobby system like the first and an option to do a grand prix online as well.
---
#6digiblasterPosted 12/16/2012 3:16:04 PM
ILikesCheese posted...
Yes.

But I've also noticed this A LOT this year with MP games. "Max Payne 3" for instance was intolerable in it's wait between matches. NFSMW? Forget it. The new console generation cannot get there fast enough. (And no, it still isn't here yet.)

Yes it is.

Also, how exactly would a new generation fix that?
#7PyroDillbrainPosted 12/18/2012 3:10:00 AM
it's actually not that much more than mario kart wii in practice
---
twitch.tv/fiveleafclover
xbl: Q cumberR | nnid: fiveleafclover
#8ILikesCheesePosted 12/18/2012 5:59:18 AM
digiblaster posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
Yes.

Yes it is.

Yes, obvious dig at the Wii U there. Color me unimpressed by Nintendo this go around. We all know that the Wii U is simply the Wii HD elevated to "next console status".

The next generation - well, the next Playstation and Microsoft consoles at least - will have hefty amounts of RAM. Expect the PS4 and NextXbox to have between 4GB and 8GB. (The Wii U has 1GB devoted to software; current gen is 256X2MB and 512MB.) Among many other things, this will aid in level loading times. Actual online games themselves however will still be at the mercy of the player's ISP connections.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#9digiblasterPosted 12/18/2012 6:52:12 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
digiblaster posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
Yes.

Yes it is.

Yes, obvious dig at the Wii U there. Color me unimpressed by Nintendo this go around. We all know that the Wii U is simply the Wii HD elevated to "next console status".

The next generation - well, the next Playstation and Microsoft consoles at least - will have hefty amounts of RAM. Expect the PS4 and NextXbox to have between 4GB and 8GB. (The Wii U has 1GB devoted to software; current gen is 256X2MB and 512MB.) Among many other things, this will aid in level loading times. Actual online games themselves however will still be at the mercy of the player's ISP connections.

Regardless of power, it's still next-gen. And people are really set on the idea that the PS4/720 are going to be powerhouses like the PS3/360 were to their predecessors, yet these same people complained that the Wii U was too expensive (which, as it happens, is still sold at a slight loss). People are more than likely going to be disappointed by either the price or power, and if by some stretch they are uber powerful and cheap, then it may well be the last consoles Sony/MS release (from a financial viewpoint).

Granted, the level loading times could be improved with more power, but a large part of the wait is just to allow players to join. It's the same with games like CoD - there's a wait of about a minute between matches there too.
#10R_Fated_Circle(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2012 5:19:43 PM(edited)
Granted, the level loading times could be improved with more power, but a large part of the wait is just to allow players to join. It's the same with games like CoD - there's a wait of about a minute between matches there too.

Yeah but in CoD it's not so bad cause while your waiting your normally looking at new perks, customizing your classes looking at challenges and etc so you don't mind plus the matches in CoD last way longer then a race in this game does. In this game you race a 2-3 minute track and you have to wait a good 3 minutes+ to get into the next race. I also don't think a next gen system would exactly solve the issue i think sumo just made some odd choices for the layout of the online and match making.

They could have cut down some waiting time by having lobbies like the first game, and making the game start when everyone clicks ready instead of having to wait a minute + or so for everyone to choose a character. Especially since in my experience most ppl select there wanted or alternate character within 15 seconds or less anyway. Also when your voting for tracks they really should have made it so after everyone cast there vote it just goes to the next phase instead of making you wait 20+ seconds I mean why make us wait when everyone has already chosen the next track, it just doesn't make any sense.

Adding a grand prix mode online where you race 4 tracks as well could have speeded up the downtime. I really like this game but I'm basically done with the online mode because I find myself waiting more or close to around the same time as actually playing per race and that's an issue. I know this post may come off like im just impatient but this is literally the first game I've ever played where I feel the loading times and match making hinder the overall online play.
---