The courses.....

#1MahoganyTooth92Posted 1/2/2013 7:14:07 AM
Are they as awesome as the original?
The last game had some of the best courses in any game I've ever played.
Does this sequel stand up to the original?
---
"Mahohgay Teeth, you are wrong. Target Finder does not ignore Cold Blooded. U mad?"-HuffyChicken
#2Edwin LimPosted 1/2/2013 9:41:22 AM
If you have played the 1st game, then you might find that the tracks in this game seemed to lack some originality. However, the boat and plane sections kinda makes up for it.

Also worth noting is that 4 tracks from the 1st game are in this game as well.
---
Driving a PC racer with the keyboard is about as effective as typing an e-mail with your car's steering wheel. ~ Brian Ekberg
#3DegalonPosted 1/2/2013 9:46:07 AM
MahoganyTooth92 posted...

Its kinda 50/50.

For example, Nights, Afterburner, Skies of Arcadia, and Panzer Dragoon are all great stages.

But then Curien Mansion, Burning Rangers, Billy Hatcher, Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe, and Race of Ages all suck.

the new Monkey Ball stage is okay, if only because its way way better than previous monkey ball stages.

The first game...only the Monkey Ball stages sucked. The rest were all great.

So the first game had a larger number of good tracks, for sure. Though the good stages in this game are REALLY good.

Although another issue with this game,with the stages, is two things.

1) You cant choose music, and the music already playing sucks, again, except for on the good stages.

2) You can't really do more than three laps, because they are scripted to change with each lap, and the stages are pretty much destroyed by the final lap.
---
GT/PSN: DEGALON
MK: Sheeva/Mileena, SSF4: Guile, BB: Makoto, DOA4: Leon, SC4: Astaroth, SF3: Alex, AH3: Zenia Valov, Tekken: Bryan Fury, VF: Vanessa
#4MahoganyTooth92(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 11:00:47 AM
Thanks for the answers.
How has the gameplay changed?
Bar the boating, and plane sections, how does the actual racing fare?
Has it changed much?
---
"Mahohgay Teeth, you are wrong. Target Finder does not ignore Cold Blooded. U mad?"-HuffyChicken
#5Edwin LimPosted 1/2/2013 1:03:11 PM(edited)
The drifting is the same as the 1st game. (Hold down brake to drift) But the mechanics behind boosting, most notably drift boosting has changed. You can no longer link drift and boost through the whole stage now because there is a delay of about 1 second after you release the drift/brake button before the boost comes into active. Level 2 and level 3 boost takes more time to charge up. But they give a massive speed boost.

So in other words, the boosting has changed. Level 1 chain boosting does not work now. The focus is now more on single boosting. Level 1 boost has been nerfed with not much speed increase. Level 2 and level 3 boost has been nerfed in charge time, but a big buff in speed.
---
Driving a PC racer with the keyboard is about as effective as typing an e-mail with your car's steering wheel. ~ Brian Ekberg
#6MahoganyTooth92(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 12:54:13 PM
Good to know.
Anything else different, or is it mostly the same?
---
#7Edwin LimPosted 1/2/2013 1:20:29 PM(edited)
There are mods you can choose when you pick a character now. In the last game, if you pick a handling character, it will always be stuck as a handling character. Now, these mods allow you to have a character and have numerous preset settings like handling, speed, acceleration. Its known in racing terms as a car-setup. And it essentially is.

You can level up characters now. Most characters start off with just one mod. As you play, you gain experience and level up and unlocking more mods.

The unlocking system has changed too. previously, you use money to buy stuff from the in-game "store". Now, the unlocking system is replaced by something called World Tour stars you unlock by playing through the World Tour. Essentially the game's "story mode". But if your a completionist, be prepared to have a frustrating time since playing everything on Easy won't net you enough stars to unlock everything. You need to play on Hard at least. Also, to unlock the final mod for the last character in the game, you need all the stars in World Tour, meaning playing everything on Expert. The game's forth difficulty.

The AI has generally gotten more aggressive as well. They have very good accuracy with their weapons and they rubberband you to no end. And there is no option to turn off rubberbanding unlike the 1st game. Easy mode is still very easy since things like rubberbanding and accuracy don't seem to apply in Easy mode. But playing everything on Easy won't get you enough stars to unlock much stuff. So essentially your stuck with the higher difficulties against aggressive AI if your planning on even trying to unlock anything.
---
#8MahoganyTooth92(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 1:22:40 PM
Well, great.
I love difficulty in my kart games, not to brag, but I'm kind of great at them, modnation racers I loved the difficulty of.
More options is always a good thing as well.
---
#9zidane kujaPosted 1/2/2013 7:49:05 PM(edited)
Degalon posted...
MahoganyTooth92 posted...

Its kinda 50/50.

For example, Nights, Afterburner, Skies of Arcadia, and Panzer Dragoon are all great stages.

But then Curien Mansion, Burning Rangers, Billy Hatcher, Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe, and Race of Ages all suck.

the new Monkey Ball stage is okay, if only because its way way better than previous monkey ball stages.

Speak for yourself. The Golden Axe stage is amazing. One of my favorites, and the music is amazing. I also really like the Jet Set Radio stages. It's so fast and exhilarating. Curien Mansion and Race of Ages are very good in my opinion. Billy Hatcher, I agree with you though.

I think the stages in this game are better, but that is my opinion. But I think is a good idea to own both. They are both great racing games.
---
if you don't know what Shadows of the Damned is. get on it.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-shadows-of/714488
#10MahoganyTooth92(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 4:38:10 AM
Thank you to everyone who posted.
---