Comparison to previous instalment?

#11SR71haloPosted 1/31/2013 2:54:46 PM(edited)
Degalon posted...
1) 3 from each series would be/is better than just one track from each series. Just one is lazy, especially since the tracks are so limited because everything is scripted to happen each lap.
2) How are a forest courtyard, a sewer, and a mansion's hallways+rooftop the same to you?
3) I loved the Ocean Ruins, that was my favorite of the beach levels. I remember you could drift with Metal's hovercar, and bank out of the tube at the end to fly clear over the crabs sandy area, lol.

1. You forgot about the part where fewer franchises get represented and similar themes and aesthetics are used throughout all 3 tracks. Compare that to 14 franchises, each with their own look and feel (and 3 from Sonic, but even those play nothing alike). They expanded their resources, that's not lazy. Also, how are the tracks limited? They offer more thanks to the transformation gimmick.

2. They all look and feel the same though, I'd rather just have one haunted track. We don't need 3.

3. Ocean Ruin was ok.
---
Now Leave!
#12MashYouGoodPosted 2/2/2013 2:37:32 AM
+ more karts
+ karts transform into boats and planes
+ track layouts change during the race

- no more power sliding
- no more lap count options
- no more weapons on / off options
- more 'linear' (when your a plane you're pretty much on rails)
- no toggling 'rubber banding' on / off (i.e. cheatier A.I.
- tracks aren't as endearing
- transforming is automatic and scripted
- the vehicle handling and overall gameplay doesn't change much irrespective of vehicle type (it doesn't have the Diddy Kong Racing depth by any means- transforming is just a gimmick)
- weapons are boring and unimaginative
- feels watered down even though the first game was very casual friendly to begin with
- slow loading in kart selection screen
#13Legends KujaPosted 2/2/2013 7:22:51 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about.

I haven't played the original, but the different vehicles ACTUALLY handle differently, the tracks have CRAZY variance. The tracks from the original game (I assume from the classic cup) feel downright boring in comparison. And I don't even begin to understand how automated transforming = bad. It flows well.
---
Work that sucker to death, come on now, work that sucker to death!
The war begins, with earth trembling fear! Bold, brainy, and cold-hearted...
#14Fastest_SpartanPosted 2/2/2013 11:21:37 AM

Actually there is. It's called "Boost Race".

Uh, no ****? Planes can't stop moving forward, they have no choice but to be on rails unless they're harriers. There isn't a single game involving planes where you're not constantly "on rails".

Eh, I found them more endearing actually.

I fail to see why this is a problem. The whole point is that the track changes and mixes the race up a bit. It flows well enough so it's fine.

- the vehicle handling and overall gameplay doesn't change much irrespective of vehicle type (it doesn't have the Diddy Kong Racing depth by any means- transforming is just a gimmick)

Actually, the plane's handling changes quite a bit.

Because the items in the first game were so creative.

- feels watered down even though the first game was very casual friendly to begin with

One of the complaints about this game is it isn't casual friendly enough. I don't see how this is watered down.
---
If someone tries to touch you, DO A BARREL ROLL!!!
#15MashYouGoodPosted 2/3/2013 1:59:58 AM
Fastest_Spartan posted...
Actually there is. It's called "Boost Race".

There's also an option to make the game Diddy Kong Racing- turn the console off and turn on the N64. :tardface.gif:

Uh, no ****?

Uh, yes. Try fly off the beaten track and marvel at the wondrous and magical invisible walls impeding your path.

If you prefer a chaotic mess that only serves as a surface to fire weapons across then, yes- I'd imagine you would.

I fail to see why this is a problem.

I guess it's the same psychology (/-gical disorder) that blinds people to why QTE's and linear gaming is garbage that drags video gaming down.

Go play M$ Flight Simulator X and get back to me on that one.
#16MashYouGoodPosted 2/3/2013 2:01:16 AM
Because the items in the first game were so creative.

And yet, the sequel builds on the mediocrity.

One of the complaints about this game is it isn't casual friendly enough. I don't see how this is watered down.

Rubber banding CPU racers does not promote skill; only frustration and an inclination to trade the game in. I was referring to the simplistic racing mechanics, hand-holding track designs, 'All-Star' abilities given to trailing racers et al.
#17Legends KujaPosted 2/3/2013 7:37:50 AM
Fastest_Spartan posted...- more 'linear' (when your a plane you're pretty much on rails)
Uh, no ****?

Uh, yes. Try fly off the beaten track and marvel at the wondrous and magical invisible walls impeding your path.

Um no, he's not disagreeing, he's failing to find a problem, as am I.

If you prefer a chaotic mess that only serves as a surface to fire weapons across then, yes- I'd imagine you would.

I contest the "mess" part. The track flows smoothly, but still allows for chaos. Good chaos is something Merry-o Kart has been lacking since DS.

I fail to see why this is a problem.
I guess it's the same psychology (/-gical disorder) that blinds people to why QTE's and linear gaming is garbage that drags video gaming down.

It's more like they haven't been properly applied or spammed, not that QTEs in and of themselves are bad.

Go play M$ Flight Simulator X and get back to me on that one.

I'm sure that you had no problem adjusting your flight where it would suddenly have fun swooping all crazy like, or the fact that your wavejet would send you crashing. I actually had a problem here.
---
Work that sucker to death, come on now, work that sucker to death!
The war begins, with earth trembling fear! Bold, brainy, and cold-hearted...
#18Fastest_SpartanPosted 2/3/2013 9:48:23 AM

Yeah? It's a racing game, you're limited to the race course like every other racing game. I don't see why you'd want to fly off course.

I thought they flowed quite smoothly, as a matter of fact. I do like a little chaos too.

The transforming works just fine as an automatic part of the track though, it adds to each stage and even makes others interesting (the ones that change vehicles each lap).

I was referring to the simplistic racing mechanics, hand-holding track designs, 'All-Star' abilities given to trailing racers et al.

I don't see how racing mechanics are more watered down than the first, nor how the track designs are "hand holding".
---
If someone tries to touch you, DO A BARREL ROLL!!!
#19_Taidow_Posted 2/3/2013 1:54:12 PM
It just seems like MashYouGood is just reaching for things to try to complain about.
---
"The answer to a question I never asked."
#20MashYouGoodPosted 2/3/2013 4:41:54 PM
^ Reaching for facts while others cling to blind brand worship.