Fox Saying Violent Video Games Training Kids to Kill (About Newtown Incident)

#131BellerophonZPosted 12/17/2012 1:43:03 PM
It's Fox. Opinion invalid.
---
Master Bumper
#132jadakiss88Posted 12/17/2012 1:48:58 PM
Jonicite posted...

The founding fathers also wanted us to have guns to protect us from our own government and from outside invaders. This country would not be safer with no guns, there are hundreds of thousands of people with guns who do not kill. Just because a psychopath kills people with a gun does not mean that everyone who owns a gun should have to get rid of theirs. We should be figuring out how to make our school/public security better and our mental health institutes better.

Ack, that wall of text was getting to be a bit much. I don't think the Founding Fathers' entire line of the thought for firearms was protection from just our government, but I'm going to move on and we'll just disagree on this point.

Let's go through a little story time and take the CT shooting into a world where the teachers were armed. Scum comes in and starts shooting. Teacher 1 starts shooting at Scum. Teacher 2 sees two people shooting and takes a 50% chance and starts firing away. Teacher 3 sees the battle and hops in. Police arrive and start shooting at everyone. That's what a fully armed populous would look like.

We, as a people, are pretty stupid. I saw some data recently that suggested most kids today can't read outside of an 8th grade level. So yes, I don't think stupid people should have guns; no more than I want stupid people to drive cars. However, drivers at least have to go through a license process which, surprisingly, does weed out the garden gnomes. Gun folk have a stupid low bar.

Ack, before I get lost in my post... if one psychopath goes on a rampage with an assault rifle, why shouldn't we have a debate about their future in our country. How many more of these do we need to have before it's a national issue? Two a month? 100 kids? You tell me where the line is so I can prepare myself for the body count. You want to hunt? Fine. You don't need an assault rifle for that. That's my entire point. There is no reason for them in this country, and we're just going to see more kids dying if we choose to do nothing. I hate seeing people die in vain. (vane?)

LOL What....? I guarentee if someone walks into a school that NO teacher knows or at least they know the Shooter doesn't attend that school if they see him holding a gun unless they just had horrible aim they would shoot the original threat not the other teacher. These are people who see each other everyday not every few years LOL!!!

And to your second point you do realize there are license drivers who go through the licensing process that get pulled over for dui and wreckless driving. They get into pretty bad accidents due to various different reasons (impatience, alcohol, texting, and other distractions) yet this hasn't changed that process in a few years. So in comparison Drivers have a lower bar than Gun Owners.

To your third point. You have never been big game hunting. Shoot a bear with your standard hunting rifle and see what that gets you...don't worry I can tell you a PISSED off Bear!!! True Assault Rifles aren't needed but that doesn't mean they need to be banned. Look at how guys like Lanza and Holmes went about obtaining their weapons...? And ordering Ammo off the internet....really? Do we need stricter gun laws? YES very much so. But do we need a ban on all guns? NO.

Go to a low income neighborhood violence is a regular occurence yet people only care when someone goes on a rampage. Or it makes National News and you have to hear about it all day everyday for two or three months.
---
Now look at this, everybody talking goon talk
Like they ain't never seen somebody knock a goon off
#133_decitronPosted 12/17/2012 1:50:24 PM
SniperFrog posted...
So I guess we should blame car makers for car crashes. beer companies for drunk drivers and alcoholics. if there is a stabbling, its the maker of knifes fault. While were at it lets ban any movie that is violent because it sometimes inspires people to commit crimes. there are some books we could ban for the same thing. Not to mention video games. Lets ban those, especially them first person shooters like Black Ops II

You cant ban evil.

what you're doing is a straw man argument. you don't even understand the arguments you disagree with so much.
---
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/439/mw3kids.jpg
#134SniperFrogPosted 12/17/2012 1:56:23 PM(edited)
What arguments do I disagree with? And I'm making a point about personal responsibility. Thats not a straw man argument. Do you even know what a straw man argument is?
#135Jinxey86Posted 12/17/2012 2:04:24 PM
The most violent video game I played was the wolverine uncaged edition. That doesn't mean I want to gorge people with knifes, between my fingers or chop people's head off. Hell back when I got it, I was much angrier and that is how I got my anger out, by killing people in the video game.
#136_decitronPosted 12/17/2012 2:12:08 PM(edited)
SniperFrog posted...
What arguments do I disagree with? And I'm making a point about personal responsibility. Thats not a straw man argument. Do you even know what a straw man argument is?

you seem to think that people are suggesting that the sole blame for shootings and similar violent behavior lies at the foot of violent media. your rhetoric about car companies and beer makers indicates this. the thing is, no one is suggesting that the shooter isn't responsible, at least not in terms of that responsibility being shifted onto someone else. thats how you are misinterpreting things. we can talk about how media influences people in particular ways and why it might not be a good thing. we can do this without asserting the media is the only contributing factor, but one of many that may put people in particular states of mind or lead to agressive behavior.
---
#137_decitronPosted 12/17/2012 2:14:47 PM
Jinxey86 posted...
The most violent video game I played was the wolverine uncaged edition. That doesn't mean I want to gorge people with knifes, between my fingers or chop people's head off. Hell back when I got it, I was much angrier and that is how I got my anger out, by killing people in the video game.

http://ithp.org/articles/violentvideogames.html

Some people claim that violent video games are good for you. Some players believe that violent video games are cathartic (i.e., they allow players to release pent up anger into harmless channels). The scientific evidence directly contradicts this idea. Over 130 studies have been conducted on over 130,000 participants around the world (Anderson et al., 2010). These studies show that violent video games increase aggressive thoughts, angry feelings, physiological arousal (e.g., heart rate, blood pressure), and aggressive behavior. Violent games also decrease helping behavior and feelings of empathy for others.
---
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/439/mw3kids.jpg
#138CrimzonHeadPosted 12/17/2012 2:18:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJc1Tf4TYY
---
"I never called you a troll because that would imply you were being stupid on purpose." - Loshadt
Don't be scared homie
#139wh0_kn0wsPosted 12/17/2012 2:22:30 PM
_decitron posted...
Jinxey86 posted...

http://ithp.org/articles/violentvideogames.html

Some people claim that violent video games are good for you. Some players believe that violent video games are cathartic (i.e., they allow players to release pent up anger into harmless channels). The scientific evidence directly contradicts this idea. Over 130 studies have been conducted on over 130,000 participants around the world (Anderson et al., 2010). These studies show that violent video games increase aggressive thoughts, angry feelings, physiological arousal (e.g., heart rate, blood pressure), and aggressive behavior. Violent games also decrease helping behavior and feelings of empathy for others.

lol "science"
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#140copycat2008Posted 12/17/2012 2:28:12 PM
its not bad parenting, she is a good woman she's a teacher, she just happen to have a mentally ill child. her biggest mistake was her hobby of guns, and guns inside her house with a mentally ill child doesnt go well together.

how many school shootings has occured this year? and every one of those guns belongs to thier parents the same parent who says he is responsible gun owner. Yes you are but your kids arent, and we dont know when you would snap and reach for a gun.

Banned all civilian guns, this should reduce the percentage of gun shootings. unless you have a better idea then shut up......