Need some advice on becoming a better player

#1ShotgunnerPosted 1/27/2013 11:34:07 AM
iCheckz suggested I ask you guys which videos, online guides, etc I should take a look at to get better. I know practice makes perfect, but my skill is.....I wont say I'm a terrible player, but I'm far from being able to have a "neutral" k/d ratio(especially in MW3), and thus I get a lot of crap about it.

I don't care about my stats personally as I play for fun - but I would like to become a better player. The only reason I'm paying attention to my stats is to become better - my goal is to even out my K/D as close to 1.0 as possible(I'd be happy with 0.9 to be honest).

A lot of people are making waves about how anyone with a 0.whatever k/d suck - so here it is. One of the "sucky" players asking for help.

I'm looking to do this on the cheap, so to speak, so please don't suggest I run out and buy any sort of guide. I'll be happy to read any guide online, view any video - but I don't know which ones are good and which ones are crap. If you guys could please suggest ones I'd really appreicate it.
---
Your precious K/D ratio doesn't mean crap. That and $3 will get you a coffee from Starbucks.
#2Jeric735Posted 1/27/2013 11:35:43 AM
Anything by Drift0r is great for learning how certain guns/perks/attachments work.
---
PSN: Jeric-S
#3BuggybearPosted 1/27/2013 12:09:32 PM
How about this: look into yourself first.
Why do you actually die so often? What's your problem?
---
Warning: does not play well with others.
PSN:BUGGYBEAR2010
#4Jeric735Posted 1/27/2013 12:14:03 PM
Buggybear posted...
How about this: look into yourself first.
Why do you actually die so often? What's your problem?

This. If you're getting shot by surprise a lot, you need to learn the maps better. If you're losing gunfights from flinch, you probably need Toughness. If you fall for traps and campers a lot, you'd benefit from Engineer. If you're constantly switching classes and can't get comfortable, you need to take some time to learn a single weapon or playstyle.
---
PSN: Jeric-S
#5melongstrikePosted 1/27/2013 12:22:09 PM
Ok I did this for myself it's going to take about 30 games and some paper/pencil so you don't forget stuff.

Before starting you will need some basic info about yourself and more importantly playing style.

For example ME:

My reflexes aren't what they use to be, my sight in my right eye is starting to weaken (Which throws off my long distance kills) What I know before starting any game is I want to avoid situations which puts me in long distance gun fights

Pick s set up doesn't matter

Play 10 games (or fewer) Take notes of

Killed by: Equipment (Claymores, Bouncing betty's, etc)
Killed by Kill....eerrr score streaks
Killed by guns
Killed at distances (Ie close, middle or long range)
Killed by campers
Killed in the act of (Using equipment, Shooting down aircraft, reloading, out of bullets)
Was there a UAV in the air
Drop shoters

From there create 2 -3 class that addresses those issues the most

For example:

You find you always die while there is a UAV in the air, blown up by claymores and dies in the middle of reloading.

There are a few classes you can make to address these issues.

Play 10 more games (or fewer)

And see how you stack up after the changes... At this point keep a wish list. Things you wished happened or you had while you played. Ie. I wished I had an extra grenade or I wish the enemy stopped using kill streaks, etc)

Play 10 more games (or what works for you) and you should have the perfect classes for your playing style.

Feel free to add me and watch my vids I have a Bunch of 50+ and 3's or 40 + and less than 10 deaths.

I don't feel like I am a great player but I am smarter than most of my Blops2 colleagues and almost always top 3 because I play to my weakness and play style.
---
Thanks, White_D3vi1: Most people are just putting dicks on dolphins and calling it a season.
#6melongstrikePosted 1/27/2013 12:28:17 PM
oh yeah

(psn)
Bogie1kanobe

I have a few more tips and tricks

Just let me know if you need help still.
---
Thanks, White_D3vi1: Most people are just putting dicks on dolphins and calling it a season.
#7Re2ismyFavPosted 1/27/2013 12:58:34 PM
screw what some condescending kids think. i'm all for improvement in this hobby we partake in but to feel pressured into it bc of someone's opinion?

if they were THAT good, they wouldn't be trolling a casual gaming board, they'd be too busy practing with their team to even bother with public match stats. but they aren't... right?

but their delusional about their ability and use stats like their KDR as an ego boost. all KD shows is the extent which you beat bad players in public matches. That's it.

/rant

i'd recommend Tmartn on youtube as he has a lot of informative content that will help any1.

ask questions.

btw what sensitivity do you use?
---
psn - LeeTl-_-lFACE .... will work for Good Connection
#8Shotgunner(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 2:52:23 PM
Re2ismyFav posted...
screw what some condescending kids think. i'm all for improvement in this hobby we partake in but to feel pressured into it bc of someone's opinion?

if they were THAT good, they wouldn't be trolling a casual gaming board, they'd be too busy practing with their team to even bother with public match stats. but they aren't... right?

but their delusional about their ability and use stats like their KDR as an ego boost. all KD shows is the extent which you beat bad players in public matches. That's it.

/rant

i'd recommend Tmartn on youtube as he has a lot of informative content that will help any1.

ask questions.

I havent changed any of the optional settings, so whatever the default sensitivity is. I've done it in previous games for single play, and increasing the sensitivity makes things go too fast for me to effectivly operate.

I do appreicate the advice, and I dont find any of you to be condencending. And I had asked iCheckz via PM for advice, he didn't outright tell me to seek help. His suggestion was valid, and thus this topic.

thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions - if there's any more by all means keep them coming.

One thing to note - I tend to always take Engineer, just so I can spot enemy equipment and warn my team mates about booytrapped airdrops(and I've caught quite a few campers by blowing their claymores and nailing them as they pop out to replant their trap.
---
Your precious K/D ratio doesn't mean crap. That and $3 will get you a coffee from Starbucks.
#9xsniper90xPosted 1/27/2013 2:59:42 PM
what is your play style? thats what you need to figure out first. are you a sniper, machine gunner, or are you, as your name states, shotgunner?

then, choose what perks you see yourself taking advantage of. do you like to run fast, not die from an explosion right away, etc etc etc.

then choose what tactic/lethal items you want to use.

do you wan to carry 2 primary weapons or just have 1 primary/secondary?

its all up to your taste. sometimes i will run with no weapons at all, sometimes i will be packed with perks. it all depends on YOUR play style.

i didnt know i was gonna be such a badarse with a knife until i tried it. sniper was definitely meant for me. hell, i hated how cheap people can be with a shotgun since its pretty much a dsr, except for the range. then i tried it an the shotgun is meant for me too.

you also have to see if camping is for you, since according to alot of players, camping is a legit strategy.
---
TO ALL MODS ON GAMEFAQS!! QUIT THIS STUPID CRAP ABOUT ME FLAMING OR CENSOR BYPASSING. ITS GETTING OLD
psn: hitman555z
#10iCheckzPosted 1/27/2013 3:15:28 PM
Re2ismyFav posted...

/rant

ask questions.

There is so much irony in this post lmao. "look at my 2.8 k/d im so good i spawntrap in ctf" yet doesnt play gb and only scrims with awesome players right.
---
Drake-----greatest rapper of all time------