Please help my shoddy network

#1macdaddygeePosted 2/3/2013 10:34:28 PM
Okay, this weekend i was traveling and every hotel i was at had high speed internet. Wired or wireless i was nat:strict, and i was able to play no problem.
Now, im home and forced a wireless connection. Im nat:open. Im stuck at
Analzing match 0 of x
Waiting for host.
Itll sit there for an eternity with no results. Yes i did port fowarding, no luck.

Any help? :(

Inb4, yes i lift bro.
---
Hakuna Matata
#2BURL32Posted 2/3/2013 11:03:53 PM
Have you assigned a static ip address?
---
~~~Behold a red horse and its rider WAR was given power to take peace from earth and to make men slay each other.To him was given a massive sword.: Psn BURL32
#3macdaddygee(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 11:12:20 PM(edited)
BURL32 posted...
Have you assigned a static ip address?

Yes to the ps3 system and that same static i used in the DMZ
I used the guide here
http://adamcook.wordpress.com/2008/04/04/how-to-get-flawless-online-gaming-with-your-ps3/

---
Hakuna Matata
#4_Deadeye_CM_Posted 2/3/2013 11:32:34 PM
The problem is wireless. Look into Powerline if you can't get a wired connection. I had waiting for host problems, constant lag, connection interrupted, etc,, and my problem was interference on the wireless channel I was using coupled with too much distance from the router.

If you want to try some more, get a free utility called InSSIDer. Use it on your laptop(assuming you have one) near your PS3 and see what the results are. You'll also see if other routers are using the same channels as you, and how often your connection gets dropped.

Post the results here.
---
---
PSN: MisterDeadeye
#53500zPosted 2/4/2013 12:45:45 AM
Using the PS3 wireless is pretty horrible due to a microwave oven or car alarm arming or disarming could disconnect you from your router.
---
Guns Don't Kill People, Lag Does~!
#6pieandmashPosted 2/4/2013 4:16:07 AM
Does anybody know what sort of wired / wireless speeds the PS3 can handle? I've recently upgraded my connection to 80/20 and it runs about 75/17 wired on my laptop. Wireless is about 40/17 again on my laptop but the PS3 speed test only shows about 14/1 (again wireless). I'm sure it won't make a difference for gaming but for downloading films and so on...

The wifi connection seems pretty stable (shows 100%) so is it worth the bother of investing in powerline adaptors? They are onl;y 35 (about $50.00) so not a massive expense.
---
Why was Captain Kirks wife brown? Because Bill Shatner
#7_Deadeye_CM_Posted 2/4/2013 9:04:34 AM
pieandmash posted...
Does anybody know what sort of wired / wireless speeds the PS3 can handle? I've recently upgraded my connection to 80/20 and it runs about 75/17 wired on my laptop. Wireless is about 40/17 again on my laptop but the PS3 speed test only shows about 14/1 (again wireless). I'm sure it won't make a difference for gaming but for downloading films and so on...

The wifi connection seems pretty stable (shows 100%) so is it worth the bother of investing in powerline adaptors? They are onl;y 35 (about $50.00) so not a massive expense.

Don't pay attention to the supposed signal strength on your PS3. Do the same thing I suggested to the TC. And the cheapest Powerline adapters are usually crap. I'll try to find some links to good ones.

Your ethernet should support 100Mbps. Do you have the option of taking the PS3 closer to your router to verify max download/upload speeds?
---
---
#8pieandmashPosted 2/4/2013 10:29:47 AM
_Deadeye_CM_ posted...
pieandmash posted...

Don't pay attention to the supposed signal strength on your PS3. Do the same thing I suggested to the TC. And the cheapest Powerline adapters are usually crap. I'll try to find some links to good ones.

Your ethernet should support 100Mbps. Do you have the option of taking the PS3 closer to your router to verify max download/upload speeds?
---

Cheers Deadeye. No, I can't really get any closer to the router, not without lugging my TV and PS3 downstairs. If you can provide a link for some decent adaptors that would be cool.

BTW I live in the UK, so 240VAC required. Most manufacturers are available worldwide but assuming you are from the States, 110VAC, you may use something that is a little bit more difficult to get hold of here.
---
Why was Captain Kirks wife brown? Because Bill Shatner
#9macdaddygee(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 11:36:45 AM
I can confirm my pc states connection is 100mbs but i believe that is connection speed and not actual up/down.
After work ill lug the ps3 and tv to the room with the ethernet cable. With a wired connection with the port forwarding be the same or do i need different settings?
If that leads to sucess, will it be suggested to run a ethernet cable 20' to the gaming room or get a new router? My current lyksis is ~5 years old..
Also, i have wild blue the highest connection option. If anyone knows for a fact that is or is not fast enough. My phonelines are too old for broadband.
---
Hakuna Matata
#10_Deadeye_CM_Posted 2/4/2013 12:37:58 PM
pieandmash posted...
_Deadeye_CM_ posted...
pieandmash posted...

---

Cheers Deadeye. No, I can't really get any closer to the router, not without lugging my TV and PS3 downstairs. If you can provide a link for some decent adaptors that would be cool.

BTW I live in the UK, so 240VAC required. Most manufacturers are available worldwide but assuming you are from the States, 110VAC, you may use something that is a little bit more difficult to get hold of here.

Alright, well like I said, wired is your absolute best bet. I was looking at Powerline, wireless bridges, different routers, better antennae, etc., to help improve my horrible speeds on my PS3, all because I didn't want to drill a hole in my floor and have an Ethernet cable running on the ceiling. The biggest problem with Powerline is inconsistency in electrical wiring from city to city, and from year to year. Old homes might be wired badly, and so you might not get a good speed at all. Some homes might have powerful appliances wired in such a way that they interfere with the circuit that would be going from your router to your console. For that reason, I didn't want to waste money buying and shipping something back that wouldn't work for me.

When it came to a bridge, I looked at various dedicated bridges until I started looking at custom firmware for routers more seriously. I just happened to have an older Linksys(it's not as old as the WRT54G types, the model number is WRT310N), and it was compatible with the custom firmware I was looking at. I set it up as a bridge, and saw a noticeable increase in performance, but I was sill nowhere near what I'm supposed to be getting. So, I knew that a bridge wouldn't help much, and on top of that, I have other wireless devices that I regularly use -- throughput would suffer badly if I had a bridge.

So, after I tested my connection strength thoroughly(I messed with different channels and channel widths, changed my amplitude strength on the router, even changed the way the router was oriented several time), weighing the pros and cons of Powerline, and experimenting with a bridge, I finally just decided that Ethernet was the way to go I put a small hole in the floor, bought a 50' Cat5e cable, and haven't looked back. I'm getting a consistent max download/upload, and I literally haven't seek a connection interrupted screen since the switch(hard to believe, I know).

I'm not familiar with Powerline adapters that run at 240VAC. Do you have any links to the ones you've looked at? I can give you an idea of whether or not they'll perform well.
---
---