Why do you play?

#1DigitalFury_Posted 2/9/2013 5:29:34 PM
After finding myself somehow on the board for a game I don't own that's on a system I don't own, defending CoD, it made me wonder why I play the games still.

I know it's not for the single player, although I have gone through all of them on veteran, whether it was Xbox 360 or PS3. The single player is filled with over-the-top scripted events, and over-abundance of unnecessary slow-motion scenes and a below average story (Specifically lately; WWII I believe is the greatest story in mankind's history [no, I don't believe it was made up], so it's hard to go wrong, story-wise earlier in the series). Basically, what I would normally look for in a single player game (Story, atmosphere, engaging characters, character depth and back story) are completely absent.

Over the years, the control scheme that FPS have adopted as default is taken for granted but really it has been butchered by many other developers. Call of Duty does it right, plain and simple. The controls in Call of Duty are like second nature and they are lightning quick responsive; they don't feel too floaty or too stiff. There is an "ease of access" element to the Call of Duty series and I think it begins with the controls.

It goes without saying that Call of Duty is bought by millions upon millions of players for the sole purpose of going online and shooting other people, be they friend or random. What keeps people coming back for more, why is CoD so addictive? I return to the "ease of access" I mentioned in the paragraph before: everything about multiplayer is designed around giving the broadest set of people an engaging experience that is easy to jump right into and feel like you're doing well. Whether you are a newb or you have been playing shooters since Wolfenstein, there is something that is going to appeal to you. The weapons (with the exception of a few each game) are simple, easy to use (or easy to figure out); the maps compliment each weapon and weapon type and simultaneously compliment every kind of player: There are sniper perches, there are plenty of corners to camp, close quarters areas for shotgunners and SMG users and there are mid-range sections for LMG and Assault Rifles.

On top of that, each successive title has seen an advancement in customization options for loadouts allowing for all players to create their own classes to fit their exact play-style. Multiple weapon types with multiple weapons in each category, accessories for each weapons, plenty of lethal and non-lethal equipment, perks and scorestreaks, and dozens of game modes. The level system, currency system (Currency or unlock tokens) keep a sense of progression that appeals to pretty much all gamers (Come on, how many of you haven't played other games and said "Well, I just need to gain one more level to unlock X skill" or something similar and then spent another 3 or 4 hours playing, saying the same thing every half hour). It's actually pretty ingeniously designed, balanced and implemented.

So, even with all the things Call of Duty does well, the most out spoken people on the internet are detractors... but detractors who actually still play the game, in spite of their apparent hate for the game and series. X weapon is over-powered, Y attachment is for n00bs, Z equipment takes no skill to use. The lag is the reason I lose and the reason you do well. No one has ever died due to a lapse in concentration, a bad decision on their own part or just because someone is a better player; no, it's always ****ing bull****, it's always cheap, someone is always camping.

So..... why do you play? I'm actually looking for legit responses in this thread but I'm not holding my breath in expectation of finding them
---
R.I.P. Dad, you are my hero and I will always love you 4/18/1948 - 10/22/2011
#2innerchyld25Posted 2/9/2013 5:43:02 PM
I just felt like I read a game column in G.I. (LOL). Anyway, to answer your question, I play mainly to relax and meet like-minded people. I don't rage, or call everything cheap, whine, cry, bully people, etc. It's just a game... Not everyday life. It's been a hobby of mine since I was 4, and it will never change. COD just happens to be my favorite multiplayer game of all time, so it gets a lot of my attention. That about sums it up.
---
FC: 4470 5610 4465
Shiny Flawless Pokedex: 1
#3B0TDPosted 2/9/2013 6:29:30 PM
My friends play. I enjoy beating noobs.
#4_Deadeye_CM_Posted 2/9/2013 6:48:54 PM
I play for a few reasons, but the most obvious is that CoD is the most fun arcade shooter there is(for me). I've played Battlefield games, Counter-Strike, TF2, even MG Online, but CoD has been the mos consistently entertaining for me. I had two 10th prestige accounts in CoD4 360, and also owned it on PS3 and PC. I've played every single one after that on one system or another, and a couple of them on both consoles(MW2, I'm looking at you).

I've found that with each passing generation, there is innovation at every turn. CoD4's innovation was obvious. A complex class system giving thousands of possible combinations, killstreaks, several game types that the genre had never seen, and a new leveling and experience system(including hundreds of challenges) to bring all of these aspects together.

WaW introduced new perks, special weapons, Zombies, and a fresh play on WW2. I didn't like the art style and when the game first game out it I was experiencing a lot of lag, so I stopped playing within a few weeks.

MW2 really improved on everything that CoD4 introduced, adding more complex class variety with Pro perks, customizable killstreaks, and adding even more secondary and primary weapon types(aside from Shotguns being secondary, they created lock-on anti-air). The team added callsigns(is that the term they used? It's been a whole since I've played that game) for more incentive to do challenges, and much improved graphics.

Black Ops created customizable emblems, wager matches, Zombie innovations, and a currency system that really changed the way everyone looked at the possible variety of classes.

Fast forwad to Black Ops 2, and you see how Treyarch added almost everything that made MW2 and Black Ops so good, and on top of that, the graphics and multiplayer balance are pretty much at the top.

On the gameplay side, I started playing CoD4 right after a competitive FPS on the DS that I was into sort of died, and I had only had a 360 for a little while, so I loved it. I was young, joined clans and had clan battles, and always strived to be the very best. As time went on, the people I played with moved on to other things, but I still played the game to death. CoD 4 was the only game I played for a solid year, and I played it more than anything else until MW2 came out. What keeps me is the experience, the thrill of clutching in SnD, outplaying my opponent, etc., the things I'm sure most people like about these arcade shooters.

While the CoD series may not have completely revolutionized shooters in general, it definitely set the standard for arcade shooters this generation, much more so than even something as popular as Halo.
---
---
PSN: MisterDeadeye
#5Mp3fan244Posted 2/9/2013 6:58:12 PM
In all honesty, I had originally wanted this game for Zombies and Zombies alone, and I swore to myself that I would NEVER play Multiplayer. However, curiosity got the better of me, and I gave it a shot. Sure, the matches are laggy and some weapon classes frustrate the hell out of me, but I found it kinda fun, and I was glad to try it out. Some personal favorite weapons of mine are:

1. Type 25 - Basically a balanced Famas, and the first weapon I ever got Gold camo for.
2. SCAR-H - An old friend of mine from my MW2 days (before my PS3 got the YLOD), and it's just as good as ever.
3. S12 - Many people say that this weapon sucks, but I think otherwise. If anything, it's the SPAS12 from Black Ops 1 on steroids, and it holds the title of being the one weapon that I managed to get a legit EMP System with, without using Hardline.
4. HAMR - I fell in love with this LMG after first using it in Zombies. Out of curiosity again, I decided to give it a shot in Multiplayer, and I was not disappointed. Also, it bears some minor resemblances to the SCAR... not that that really means much, though...
5. RPG - The launchers were the first weapons class I ever got Diamond Camo for, and not only can I now show off the Diamond Camo, but I love running around in SnD matches and making people rage with its OHK potential.

As for why I play... I just want to have fun. Every so often I'll find some good sports who are just like me, and even go so far as to say "Good game" after completing a match.

Some faith in humanity has been restored.
#6greggreggreg2000Posted 2/9/2013 7:00:40 PM
Because it's fun when you get into lobbies where the other team doesn't use the nooby weapons and attachments and lag is on your side.
---
"Everybody panic! It's just like the Titanic, but it's full of bears!"
#7supertomato_13Posted 2/9/2013 7:04:02 PM
4 teh lulz
#8Shadow_JolteonPosted 2/9/2013 7:35:53 PM
I'm starting to get sick of the game but I continue to play because it's the only retail game I have now.
#9AnyNamesLeft1Posted 2/9/2013 7:42:34 PM
It's easy to pick up and play, then put down...no having to get to a save point, have to finish this mission etc.
#10Jeric735Posted 2/9/2013 7:42:39 PM
We play to make the world turn 'round, we play to make the world burn down, burn down. We play to make ya so insane, that you wanna take a razor right into your vein, open it up, show it to kids, blow in the cut, add some vinegar before I'm sewin' it up.

(I'm waiting for the guy with the Anarchy Reigns signature to see this)
---
PSN: Jeric-S