cant choose between controllers: Hori FPS assault vs. Madcatz MLG. Need advice

#1FindTheSecretPosted 2/9/2013 7:46:15 PM
I cant decide what to choose.

I've had some good experience with Hori arcadesticks, so im leaning towards their FPS controller ,but the level of customisation on the MLG is very appealing, even though i've had some bad experiences with Madcatz products (ps2 era)

Anyone who has any experience with these controllers, please share.
I've looked up some reviews online, written and vids, and still it isnt really helping me :/ thanks in advance

(btw, im playing mw3, not bo2, but that board is dead)
---
"If Lee Harvey Oswald didn't quickscope then I'm not quickscoping."
PSN: sgt_cumalot5713
#2ihaveyahooraresPosted 2/9/2013 8:21:44 PM
If you're crazy enough to even consider anything made by Madkatz I don't think we're going to be of much help here.

Anything I've ever gotten from Madkatz (this was years ago) was absolute trash. Felt really cheap, flimsy, and didn't handle normal usage for a long time at all.

SCUF? I haven't heard much bad about their controllers at all.
#3Jeric735Posted 2/9/2013 9:13:54 PM
FindTheSecret posted...
I cant decide what to choose.

You can't redundant what to redundant.
Anyway I have no idea when it comes to third-party controllers, I just wanted to say that.
---
PSN: Jeric-S
#4CorporalJigsorePosted 2/9/2013 9:22:21 PM
From what I've seen with PS3, third party controllers are nothing but garbage.
---
PSN: The_Angry_Ewok
#5Spetsnaz420Posted 2/9/2013 11:53:48 PM
Dual Shock 3
---
A tiger doesn't lose sleep to the opinions of sheep
PSN: Spetsnaz420
#6_Deadeye_CM_Posted 2/10/2013 12:01:57 AM
Neither, get this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0096KF7O4/ref=aw_d_var_2nd_videogames_txt?vs=1

Amazing quality, great feel, awesome triggers, close to 360(slightly slimmer) ergos, large, comfortable joysticks, decent D-pad, comfortable, fast(yet springy) face buttons, interchangeable top and bottom grips(I use rubber on the whole left side and on the bottom right -- my right hand moves constantly, so it has to be left smooth).

It even has pretty LEDs that can be turned off. I've kept mine off of the majority of the time, but they've got the cool factor if you're into that, and if nothing else, the colors are useful.

Oh, and the wire is tough as hell. It's about as thick as a Cat5e ethernet cable, with a tough plastic shell around it. Comes with a travel case too.
---
---
PSN: MisterDeadeye
#7jdak10Posted 2/10/2013 12:24:10 AM
I had input lag with a 3rd party controller. So much that using the keyboard was lag. I got a scuf controller cause its an actual sony controller. Just another option...
---
Federal law supersedes State law my ass.
Learn your 10th Amendment.
#8sece1212Posted 2/10/2013 2:09:01 AM
ihaveyahoorares posted...
If you're crazy enough to even consider anything made by Madkatz I don't think we're going to be of much help here.

Anything I've ever gotten from Madkatz (this was years ago) was absolute trash. Felt really cheap, flimsy, and didn't handle normal usage for a long time at all.

SCUF? I haven't heard much bad about their controllers at all.

Well, in the past few years, Madcatz has stepped their game up in terms of quality. They've been partnered with a lot of games recently, so I guess they finally learned their lesson.

TC, I just ordered a SCUF gaming controller and if you're willing to wait a few days, I can give you a review of what I think about it and help aid you in your decision? I wouldn't recommend either of those controller dues to their low ratings review... If anything, I would rather have the DS3 than those two.
---
PSN-sece1212
BO2 Combat Record - http://tinyurl.com/bb2pkge
#9_Deadeye_CM_Posted 2/10/2013 10:03:13 AM
Just for some more data, and to explain why I prefer my controller to the DS3, the biggest thing was ergos. The DS3, while completely symmetrical, just doesn't feel right. The left joystick is really low, and even though after using the controller for so long, I never liked it.

Next, the triggers are awful. There's a reason firearm triggers are curved the opposite way. And man, the Power A's triggers are great.

The design of the joysticks is probably the biggest factor to me, though. I can't stand convex joysticks, and the DS3 has the most uncomfortable ones I've used. They're not as fast as the Power A's either.

When I bought this thing, there were no written reviews anywhere(aside from a couple of very short Amazon reviews), and there was one video review by a guy on YouTube. I bit the bullet and ordered a controller made by a company I'd never heard from, and it's completely changed the way I feel about CoD on the PS3.

Anyway, so that's why I chose the Power A over a custom DS3 like SCUF. I've thought about adding SCUF to my Power A, though that would mean I'd spent over $120 on a controller, and I don't know how compatible it will be with the PS4. So if you're planning on upgrading as soon as the next gen consoles come out(likely less than a year), then you might want to reconsider getting a controller at all.

tl;dr: DualShock's design sucks for FPS, so I went third-party.
---
---
PSN: MisterDeadeye
#10innerchyld25Posted 2/10/2013 10:39:34 AM
I HAVE the MadCatz MLG controller, and I love it. Even though MC has had a bad report of building trash, probably gamers stepped in and helped them build this gem. People need to quit judging stuff before they try it, because the controller is designed with the HC gamer in mind. I recommend it. You won't be disappointed.
---
FC: 4470 5610 4465
Shiny Flawless Pokedex: 1