What if stacking two perks from the same tier gave you additional effects?

#1parkourboybryanPosted 8/29/2012 6:26:43 AM
It already costs more to get an additional perk, why not give minor effects in certain cases? I already have certain effect that could stack upon pairing the perks.

Ex. Con + Dexterity = Unlimited sprint on top of initial effects.
Lightweight + Hardline = Extra points gained if you kill a short time after falling from a high height or while falling from a high height.
Ghost + Blind Eye = Take away red name and crosshairs when targeted.
Tactical Mask + Awareness = Able to safely toss back flash/concussion grenades.
Toughness + Scavenger = Increase max ammo capacity.

Those are only a few ideas, but to make this work, there'd need to be additional effects when each perk is paired with another, and the added effects can't overpower the combination.
---
One of the proud people that still plays Mirror's Edge to this day.
Not changing my sig until DICE officially announces Mirror's Edge 2
#2torey_caylorPosted 8/29/2012 6:30:24 AM
That sounds pretty cool. Although possibly hard to balance :/
#3d3dsightPosted 8/29/2012 6:49:34 AM(edited)
I like it the way it is. Being able to use some perk combinations (any Blue perks, DS/Awareness, etc) is already a good deal at two points.

Edit: three points
#4NarutoTaioPosted 8/29/2012 7:06:46 AM
parkourboybryan posted...
It already costs more to get an additional perk, why not give minor effects in certain cases? I already have certain effect that could stack upon pairing the perks.

Ex. Con + Dexterity = Unlimited sprint on top of initial effects.
Lightweight + Hardline = Extra points gained if you kill a short time after falling from a high height or while falling from a high height.
Ghost + Blind Eye = Take away red name and crosshairs when targeted.
Tactical Mask + Awareness = Able to safely toss back flash/concussion grenades.
Toughness + Scavenger = Increase max ammo capacity.

Those are only a few ideas, but to make this work, there'd need to be additional effects when each perk is paired with another, and the added effects can't overpower the combination.

Nah, sounds pretty dumb.
First of all, it'd be stupid to limit it to specific combo of perks.
The point is to promote every perk as useful, not almost force someone to use a pair.
Secondly, the new system promotes diversity and personalization.
Your thought would limit that even further, since not every pair of perk in a tier would make sense to have an effect.
#5parkourboybryan(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2012 7:38:20 AM
d3dsight posted...
I like it the way it is. Being able to use some perk combinations (any Blue perks, DS/Awareness, etc) is already a good deal at two points.

Edit: three points

It's not like it'd be OP. Just have the effect of them together silence your callouts when reloading or laying equipment, so using the two of them together would be the equivalent of BLOPS Ninja, which I don't recall people saying is OP.

I already have a couple of new ones.

Flak Jacket + Hardline = Get extra points per kill if you just lived through an explosion 2 seconds earlier.
Ghost + Hardline = Get 25 extra points per kill when the enemy has a UAV in the Air
Awareness + Dead Silence = Silence Callouts when reloading or laying down equipment, similar to the effect of BLOPS Ninja.
Engineer + Tac. Mask = Ability to see thrown tactical grenades outlined in red.
Dead Silence + Engineer = The "click" that signifies claymores, betties, and shock charges going will not register.
Ex. Con + Awareness = Enemies make much louder noise while sprinting.

And to whoever posted below d3dsight, you must've said something really stupid/ignorant or troll frequently, so you're on my ignore list, I can't see your post.
---
#6Aether_LyricPosted 8/29/2012 7:48:04 AM
I think the major problem with this is, you'd basically have 3 perks for 3 points. So there'd be no point penalty.
#7parkourboybryan(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2012 8:14:36 AM
Aether_Lyric posted...
I think the major problem with this is, you'd basically have 3 perks for 3 points. So there'd be no point penalty.

I agree to an extent, but you have to think, these effects gained from stacking (With the exception of Ex. Con/Dexterity) are often rather subtle and wouldn't be worth choosing over another if they were separate perks. That's why I don't feel like its gaining 3 perks, it's more like 2.25 perks for the price of 3 points.
---
#8breadisgoodPosted 8/29/2012 8:17:37 AM
It's cool in theory but I don't think it's practical. It's already supposed to be a big bonus having two perks, that's why you pay a penalty for it. It's an interesting idea but I don't think it works with the 10 point system.