My Idea for a balance between CoD points and traditional unlocking.

#1BrownPackPosted 9/17/2012 5:27:13 PM
First off, I disliked the Cod Points system. I just want to get that out of the way. But, many people still liked it, and I respect their opinions. So I was thinking of a way to include both traditional unlocking systems and CoD points together.

How about you purchase a "category" and then in each category, you have to grind on your current attachment in order to unlock the next attachment of the same "category"? For example, you would purchase "sight" and then you'd automatically get a Red Dot sight. From there, you would need to level up the RDS to get to the next unlockable sight, the Holographic. Then the same to unlock Acog, then Hybrid, etc.

This is how it will work though. say for example, you want to keep on leveling up the "sight" category. You can simply use the RDS if you choose, and it will eventually unlock all of the available sights, but it will be much slower. If you use the newer sights you unlock each time, like Acog, or Thermal, you'll level up the category much faster, because it is more challenging to use.

Same as MW2/BO/MW3, you can have a max of two attachments on at a time.

I figured the categories should be as follows:

Sight
Tier 1: Red Dot
Tier 2: Holographic
Tier 3: Acog
Tier 4: Hybrid Sight
Tier 5: Thermal

Underbarrel
Tier 1: Grip
Tier 2: Grenade Launcher
Tier 3: Shotgun
Tier 4: Flamethrower (for black ops fans, even though I never liked the attachment)

Magazine
Tier 1: Extended Mag (same reload time, larger mag)
Tier 2: Dual Mag (faster every other reload, regular mag)
Tier 3: Drum (huge ammo supply, slow reload)

Miscellaneous
Tier 1: FMJ
Tier 2: Rapid Fire
Tier 3: Silencer
Tier 4: Heartbeat Sensor
#2thegamer67Posted 9/17/2012 7:57:10 PM
Switch the GL and the Flamethrower and you got a deal :D
---
I had a good signature but only 1 line break is allowed :(
#3JacKToxiKPosted 9/17/2012 8:26:01 PM(edited)
BrownPack this could work. I Like it.
---
IIII II I III II IIII II I III IIII II
#4MegaTape13Posted 9/17/2012 10:31:36 PM
That sort of denies people the insta-freedom that made the CoD point system popular with anyone in the first place, though. The whole selling point was that you hardly had to grind at all to get the attachment you wanted, and could ignore the stuff you never wanted to use.

Personally, I'm kind of a fan of mild grinding and like to at least try everything, so I'd be happy if this idea was implemented.

Considering that the return of weapon levels has been confirmed (right?...), I feel a more even compromise would be getting one 'gun token' per level, which you could then use to unlock any attachment you wanted. So in order to get most stuff you'd have to spend many games using that gun, but you could get the couple of things you really want for it after just a match or two.

Then again, I could see people feeling pressured about spending precious tokens that only get harder to earn, so I supposed you still wouldn't see a whole lot of experimentation regarding attachments. :\
---
Oh the movie never ends...
GT: IHOP 13
#5BrownPack(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2012 10:39:04 PM
MegaTape13 posted...
That sort of denies people the insta-freedom that made the CoD point system popular with anyone in the first place, though. The whole selling point was that you hardly had to grind at all to get the attachment you wanted, and could ignore the stuff you never wanted to use.

Personally, I'm kind of a fan of mild grinding and like to at least try everything, so I'd be happy if this idea was implemented.

Considering that the return of weapon levels has been confirmed (right?...), I feel a more even compromise would be getting one 'gun token' per level, which you could then use to unlock any attachment you wanted. So in order to get most stuff you'd have to spend many games using that gun, but you could get the couple of things you really want for it after just a match or two.

Then again, I could see people feeling pressured about spending precious tokens that only get harder to earn, so I supposed you still wouldn't see a whole lot of experimentation regarding attachments. :\

I honestly think the only people who liked the "insta-freedom" are the ones who hated MW2 for forcing you to use FMJ to unlock extended mags.

Yeah, with this system, weapons would be unlocked as usual. I feel this system is still fine, as it allows both experimentation and a little bit of freedom to be experienced in the create a class. One token per level, as you say would force people to use tokens only on what people truly wanted, and no are willing to try.

With my system, you can use the beginning attachments if you want, but there's incentive to use the other attachments as it allows you to level up towards the higher tier much faster. I will say that grinding was and still is the best way to get attachments. You get more of an experience out of the game by having to learn how to get good with attachments that you don't like...at first.
#6dr_zombergPosted 9/17/2012 10:58:20 PM
why not make it even simpler:

have everything purchaseable from the start, BUT the prizes are higher on some
---
GT/PSN: KRISHANKO
Iraq was very clearly going to be Iraq's first target --Choleric_Llama
#7BrownPack(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2012 12:03:59 AM
dr_zomberg posted...
why not make it even simpler:

have everything purchaseable from the start, BUT the prizes are higher on some

There still needs to be some sort of incentive to use all of the attachments. just making some prizes won't really cause people to experiment with other prizes. that'll just make them save their points/coins/currency for the one thing that really sounds appealing to them.
#8dr_zombergPosted 9/18/2012 1:18:27 AM
...which is the point of buying things in the first place.
i only bought the things i wanted in BO. when i wanted to try something different i would buy it.

for example, i never bought anything for the mp5k (weapon of choice) aside from rapid fire and silencer. because i didnt want to buy anything else from it. while i previously said i didnt like having everything unlocked in OMP, it also helped me experiment with attachments that i would otherwise wouldnt have bothered with. turns out they were not worth bothering with anyway, so it saved me quite the points in MP
---
#9dr_zombergPosted 9/18/2012 2:57:14 AM
cant seem to edit for some reason..
anyway, ill add:

its not like in mw2 where im FORCED to use attachments to unlock other attachments.
all i needed in mw2 was the RDS, silencer or acog.
---
#10BrownPack(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2012 1:21:37 PM
dr_zomberg posted...
...which is the point of buying things in the first place.
i only bought the things i wanted in BO. when i wanted to try something different i would buy it.

for example, i never bought anything for the mp5k (weapon of choice) aside from rapid fire and silencer. because i didnt want to buy anything else from it. while i previously said i didnt like having everything unlocked in OMP, it also helped me experiment with attachments that i would otherwise wouldnt have bothered with. turns out they were not worth bothering with anyway, so it saved me quite the points in MP

uh... no? when you buy things, you only buy the things you want. whether you want to try them or not is a different story. With MW2's system, you unlock almost everything, and whether you want to use them or not is up to you. Most people only bought things they wanted to use. Not many people bought things to experiment.

dr_zomberg posted...
cant seem to edit for some reason..
anyway, ill add:

its not like in mw2 where im FORCED to use attachments to unlock other attachments.
all i needed in mw2 was the RDS, silencer or acog.

Well, if you wanted the other attachments, you were forced to use certain ones. Extended mags was the only attachment of a real challenge. If you only wanted to use RDS, silencer and acog, that's fine. You didn't have to buy them. You can get the other attachments for free. in BO, you'd have to spend CoD points to unlock something that you could've easily gotten for free in MW2.