E-Sports - A Discussion

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  3. E-Sports - A Discussion

User Info: Suiko Slave

Suiko Slave
4 years ago#1
I've been reading a lot about the new E-Sports feature in BO2 and how they are trying to take the sport to the next level.

It got me thinking about whether or not E-Sports could actually become a viable sport. I'm not just talking about something hardcore gamers watch on the internet. I'm talking large scale, like on a nightly basis airing on TV.

I don't think it's likely to happen anytime soon, but as the sport continues to grow, I could see it happening a decade or two down the line.

My thinking behind this is that there is a whole generation of kids that are growing up on the internet. They don't watch TV and they don't watch normal sports. As they get older, I feel there could be a viable audience for E-Sports.

Thoughts? Am I just totally off on this?

User Info: HeartlessCharms

HeartlessCharms
4 years ago#2
No. If it doesn't require blood, sweat, and tears it's not a legit sport.

But it might have a chance seeing as they used to have shows where people played games against each other for money on G4.
PSN = Heartlessmac
Xbox Live = Munch Emm

User Info: zcicecold

zcicecold
4 years ago#3
I think it could catch on, but I agree with HeartlessCharms. Call it "Professional Gaming" or whatever, but it is not a sport.
"Also, you gotta give Johnny Cage props for going into fairy-tale land and pretty much taking on monsters." - Kush_n_OJ

Suiko Slave
4 years ago#4
I once watched a Scrabble tournament on ESPN so... There's no reason why it can't be a sport.

I know there are a lot of different definitions. I personally don't consider car racing a sport. Driving around in a circle is driving around in a circle.

To each is own I guess.

User Info: spacecowboy44

spacecowboy44
4 years ago#5
it is not a sport...and calling it a sport is an insult to any athlete...call it pro gaming or w.e you want...but never a sport
---Playing Hardcore with me is like quail hunting with Dick Cheney.

Suiko Slave
4 years ago#6
That's fine, call it what you want. Sport may not be the proper nomenclature, but it still has many of the same aspects of a sport.

It has teams, scores, stats. I guess whether or not it's considered a sport is not what I'm interested in. I'm just interested in whether or not you guys think it will ever reach a point where people actually sit down and watch it. Maybe people will have a favorite team and even favorite players.

I know it sounds crazy. I'm just trying to envision a future where the people who are teens have now grown up. Most teens I know cannot name a professional athlete if you paid them.

User Info: IAmNOTMcLovin

IAmNOTMcLovin
4 years ago#7
spacecowboy44 posted...
it is not a sport...and calling it a sport is an insult to any athlete...call it pro gaming or w.e you want...but never a sport

Then what do you call chess?
PSN McLovin1177 GT I A Mc Lovin177 YT IceTubesCOD
How could anyone complain about a nasty oral surprise? - Trespasser2003

Suiko Slave
4 years ago#8
Good point. Chess is something you see on TV from time to time.

User Info: WhooKilledKenny

WhooKilledKenny
4 years ago#9
NASCAR takes no athletic ability at all and is considered a sport technically. Same with poker.

User Info: WhooKilledKenny

WhooKilledKenny
4 years ago#10
Baseball doesn't require you to be athletic either, tons of fat MLB players. It's more or a skill sport than an athletic sport.
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  3. E-Sports - A Discussion

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived