E-Sports - A Discussion

#1Suiko SlavePosted 10/21/2012 12:27:16 PM
I've been reading a lot about the new E-Sports feature in BO2 and how they are trying to take the sport to the next level.

It got me thinking about whether or not E-Sports could actually become a viable sport. I'm not just talking about something hardcore gamers watch on the internet. I'm talking large scale, like on a nightly basis airing on TV.

I don't think it's likely to happen anytime soon, but as the sport continues to grow, I could see it happening a decade or two down the line.

My thinking behind this is that there is a whole generation of kids that are growing up on the internet. They don't watch TV and they don't watch normal sports. As they get older, I feel there could be a viable audience for E-Sports.

Thoughts? Am I just totally off on this?
#2HeartlessCharmsPosted 10/21/2012 12:35:55 PM(edited)
No. If it doesn't require blood, sweat, and tears it's not a legit sport.

But it might have a chance seeing as they used to have shows where people played games against each other for money on G4.
---
PSN = Heartlessmac
Xbox Live = Munch Emm
#3zcicecoldPosted 10/21/2012 12:34:24 PM
I think it could catch on, but I agree with HeartlessCharms. Call it "Professional Gaming" or whatever, but it is not a sport.
---
"Also, you gotta give Johnny Cage props for going into fairy-tale land and pretty much taking on monsters." - Kush_n_OJ
#4Suiko Slave(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2012 12:38:20 PM
I once watched a Scrabble tournament on ESPN so... There's no reason why it can't be a sport.

I know there are a lot of different definitions. I personally don't consider car racing a sport. Driving around in a circle is driving around in a circle.

To each is own I guess.
#5spacecowboy44Posted 10/21/2012 12:39:36 PM
it is not a sport...and calling it a sport is an insult to any athlete...call it pro gaming or w.e you want...but never a sport
---
---Playing Hardcore with me is like quail hunting with Dick Cheney.
#6Suiko Slave(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2012 12:49:53 PM
That's fine, call it what you want. Sport may not be the proper nomenclature, but it still has many of the same aspects of a sport.

It has teams, scores, stats. I guess whether or not it's considered a sport is not what I'm interested in. I'm just interested in whether or not you guys think it will ever reach a point where people actually sit down and watch it. Maybe people will have a favorite team and even favorite players.

I know it sounds crazy. I'm just trying to envision a future where the people who are teens have now grown up. Most teens I know cannot name a professional athlete if you paid them.
#7IAmNOTMcLovinPosted 10/21/2012 12:50:03 PM
spacecowboy44 posted...
it is not a sport...and calling it a sport is an insult to any athlete...call it pro gaming or w.e you want...but never a sport

Then what do you call chess?
---
PSN McLovin1177 GT I A Mc Lovin177 YT IceTubesCOD
How could anyone complain about a nasty oral surprise? - Trespasser2003
#8Suiko Slave(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2012 1:20:32 PM
Good point. Chess is something you see on TV from time to time.
#9WhooKilledKennyPosted 10/21/2012 1:25:42 PM
NASCAR takes no athletic ability at all and is considered a sport technically. Same with poker.
#10WhooKilledKennyPosted 10/21/2012 1:26:51 PM
Baseball doesn't require you to be athletic either, tons of fat MLB players. It's more or a skill sport than an athletic sport.