why is COD4 considered the best in series?

#111DividerByZeroPosted 11/11/2012 12:22:10 AM
kennyindy posted...
Simple answer to the OP: It's not by most of the hardcore fans who played all the CODs before 4.

COD 2 is far and away the best of the console series. The reason COD 4 gets such praise is because it was easy to play, had an awesome feature set in multiplayer, and was the first COD to be set in modern times.

Looking back, it was an awesome experience, but it has been way overhyped by most who never even played CODs 1-3.

Every match was a sniper lobby. Zero variety whatsoever.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/blueice/TG%20Divider.jpg
#112shineazy30Posted 11/11/2012 12:40:47 AM
the only thing i liked about COD 4 was the Sp the Mp was lame. Mw 2 was ok but i didnt really get into cod until Black Ops i liked the story and the Mp it offers alot more than all the other Cod games that came out MW 3 was garbage
#113Arcanine2009Posted 11/11/2012 1:33:41 AM
It had awesome maps.. It really did.
---
Less is more. Everything you want, isn't everything you need.
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg359/ProdigyCashew/pterodactyl.gif
#114The_ShaderPosted 11/11/2012 2:11:29 AM
HeyItsZant posted...
Because of this:

http://tinyurl.com/bydserf

Wait.... OH ****! I JUST REALIZED!!!

Hazard is ALOT like this map! Cannot remember the name for the life of me, but hazard is basically a super size version of this!
---
"Lower thine guard and thou'rt allowing the enemy in" - Frog
"You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" - Happy Mask Salesman
#115HeyItsZantPosted 11/11/2012 6:37:59 AM
The_Shader posted...
HeyItsZant posted...
Because of this:

http://tinyurl.com/bydserf

Wait.... OH ****! I JUST REALIZED!!!

Hazard is ALOT like this map! Cannot remember the name for the life of me, but hazard is basically a super size version of this!

I think you mean Havana.
---
If you judge me without knowing me you are not defining me, but defining yourself.
#116konkorPosted 11/11/2012 7:36:15 AM
These were the reasons for me:

1. It had by far the best set of maps from any CoD game.
2. The weapon and customization was great.
3. The experience was new and exciting.
4. Some online games actually had some form of teamwork.
5. 1v1.

I absolutely loved CoD4 when it was released, I spent so many days playing it because it was just really new and thrilling. It was the new hype and everyone was loving it. But after CoD4 and WaW the series was milked to the extent that it was the same game just different textures.

I've never really completed MW3, I completed MW2 and Black Ops (I'll be completing Black Ops 2) but after CoD4 I think MW never changed (ironic since the opening is "War never changes"). But Black Ops/WaW has always tried to bring something new to the table. With Modern Warfare 2&3 I felt they were just trying to compete against their rival team. WaW had zombies, was epic. MW2 bought spec ops, Black Ops bought a much more improved zombies, riddled story line, new multiplayer features and then MW3 bought survival...

But to keep my answer on topic, it's because it was something we had never really seen or played before. At the time we had only Gears of War/Halo 3, as fun as they are Gears of War is simple and Halo wasn't every ones cup of tea.
---
Visit my YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PlayingWithJake
#117garcia_jxPosted 11/11/2012 7:38:37 AM
garcia_jx posted...
It is the best, because it was the first in the modern series. I remember when it was first announced on GameSpot that the new Call of Duty was going to be in modern times, everyone was bit****ng and crying. They thought the series was going to be ruined by it blah blah blah--kind of reminds of the intro to Burn Notice where Sam says, "you know spies, bunch of bi**hy little girls." The same applies to gamers (yes, me included). The game came out, and everyone loved it. The gameplay was addicting, the maps were great, and the time spent playing was endless. Then MW 2 was announced, and everyone went ape sh** over it. The gameplay was even more addicting with the new killstreaks. But somewhere along the lines of MW2 and Black Ops 2, Call of Duty became the most hated franchise.

My two cents: Modern Warfare 2 is the best in the series. Black Ops is my favorite though.
#118blacklabelicePosted 11/11/2012 8:31:06 AM
reptyle101 posted...
people wouldnt rely on getting their enjoyment simply by spamming cheap kills

Forgetting why the term Noobtube came about? Also Martydom, 3xFrag, 2xClaymore etc.
CoD4 was all 'cheap kills'.

people actually seemed to play as a team

No, no they didn't. If anything there was even less teamwork since most people fired their two noobtubes and their 3 frags randomly then ran out to get killed and drop their Martyrdom.

shoot down enemy helicopters

This never happened in CoD4. In all the time I played it, not once did I see a helicopter being shot down.

3 random grenades followed up by two noob tubes and a martyrdom? they must have picked up a special personalized copy. the rest of us could either have one or the other as our weapon perk that were good for a couple kills and nothing more. OMFGZ i got killed by a random grenade. Nerd rage.

wow bro. looks like youve had some terrible COD experiences. i must have been joining in on all of the right games because i never really seemed to have too many issues with the game or playing team objectives. noob tube was annoying yes, but it wasnt quite like MW2 where you can just reload and refill and spam it the entire game long without dieing if you hid well enough. It was good for two potential kills or whatever to help the noobs keep up with everybody else.

martyrdom was annoying to deal with at first but you learn pretty quick not to run right at an enemy after you take him out. though it wasnt always a sure bet. especially if you run right into him in a tight space with the knife or go up against a whole squad of them that rush you. i thought that was kind of a neat perk, but some people raged. even on MW2 with the deathstreak thing.

Such a shame since martydom has been around since the beginning of the franchise and they had to remove it because of a bunch of crybabies. I mean people completely overreacted on that, i mean unless you were playing on shipment, martyrdrom would only make up for a tiny fraction of kills, unless of course. you are really successful at finding a strategic location to die over and over at. Oh well, one less helicopter to worry about.

the juggernaut got a whole lot of flak too. i dont get it, why not just use stopping power? there you go, problem solved! and last stand? that got blown out of porportion too. i mean if you give the guy enough time to drop down, spin around, and kill you with a pistol, then you deserve to die. they had to nerf that after too many people cried. id say those kind of perks helped keep the game unique if anything. its not like they were a guaranteed kill every time you used them

yeah there was campers noob tubes and OP tactics just like every other game in the series, but from the majority of games i played, i wouldnt see people just spamming the same thing all day long just to grief others or for the sake of some k/d ratio that nobody else cares about. Also never noticed any idiots repeatedly running around trying to quickscope with their OHK exploited sniper rifle shotgun on a game of sabotage or anything. this must have been back in the era before people were watching every killcam, obsessing about random peoples stats, trying too hard to be fancy on youtube, and criticizing everything people do on a video game.

as far as balance and enjoyment. i believe they got it right for its time. sure it wasnt perfect but it sure put COD 3 to shame. The core aspect has remained the same but it seems as though now its more focused on killstreaks and campy nooby stuff than actually having to work as a team and whatnot. At least in MW 3 the objective pointstreaks helped to give some people enough incentive to crawl out of their hole when they might not have otherwise. Who knows?

hell this whole franchise is based off cheap kills
#119SbrbnHstlrPosted 11/11/2012 8:38:45 AM
Bog and Shipment
/topic
#120blacklabelicePosted 11/11/2012 8:47:01 AM
reptyle101 posted...
people wouldnt rely on getting their enjoyment simply by spamming cheap kills

Forgetting why the term Noobtube came about? Also Martydom, 3xFrag, 2xClaymore etc.
CoD4 was all 'cheap kills'.

people actually seemed to play as a team

No, no they didn't. If anything there was even less teamwork since most people fired their two noobtubes and their 3 frags randomly then ran out to get killed and drop their Martyrdom.

shoot down enemy helicopters

This never happened in CoD4. In all the time I played it, not once did I see a helicopter being shot down.

oh yes, i forgot to mention but teamwork on COD was prevalent. I dont know what kind of games you had the misfortune of joining but typically when somebody sends out a helicopter, everybody else would be hanging out the side of the building trying to shoot it down.

Especially in a game where kill streaks stack. Im assuming youve had the misfortune of joining a game where some dude sends out 7 helicopters in a row simply because you or all of your teammates were lazy and would run out of the building and chase after an enemy off in the distance and get gunned down repeatedly, rather than to try to take down the helicopter right above you shooting at your homeboys.

have you ever played COD 4 before? I know the whole concept of teamwork might sound strange to you, but back then teamwork was prevalent. Why? because people werent afraid to die. Especially if it was for the sake of the objective. Back then nobody cared what other people thought of them on youtube and nobody obsessed over everybody elses stats. It was actually quite fun, you should pick that game up some time.