Is it time for the COD franchise to get a new engine?

#1SixStringSamuaiPosted 11/16/2012 11:40:24 PM
Should COD get a new engine? - Results (147 votes)
Yes. The franchise is starting to look out dated when compared to other games.
70.75% (104 votes)
No. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
8.84% (13 votes)
I want a new engine, but I'm afraid it will change things for the worse.
15.65% (23 votes)
I still think the COD games look great and don't see a difference between COD and other titles.
4.76% (7 votes)
This poll is now closed.
With games like Battlefield 3, Medal Of Honor Warfighter, Crysis 2, Halo 4 and Killswitch 3 in the market, it seems more and more evident (at least to me) that the COD engine is simply out dated.

And while graphics aren't everything and 60 FPS is nice to have and brag about, seeing numerous other FPS games look better year after year does take a toll after a while.

Personally, I'm not a Halo guy and have always liked COD better but for my money, Halo 4 has been the better game so far. Everything from the MP to the SP in Halo has been completely revamped with a new engine. It looks absolutely fantastic and is one of the best looking games in the market, something I don't think I've ever said about a Halo game before.

And the MP is the most accessible, easy to pick up and play MP entries in the Halo series. The shields have all been nerfed so its easier to take out an opponent with out having to use a melee strike to finish them off, and the assault rifle is actually useful now. The MP feels faster, smoother and ironically more like COD. At least in terms of pace and fluidness.

I feel, and once again, this is just my opinion, that the COD engine really hasn't improved by a lot over the years. I mean when you play Halo 3, then pop in Halo Reach, then pop in Halo 4, you will see vast differences between titles. Especially from Reach to 4.

I honestly can't notice any visual difference between the last 4-5 COD games. And really, I'm not looking forward to the next one either.
---
I'm working on this screenplay for a movie, it's called Schindler's List 2: Let's get this party started.
#2LoshadtPosted 11/16/2012 11:41:45 PM
60FPS on consoles is f***ing sorcery, don't fix what isn't broken.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
I <3 Jesus.
#3NovaLevossidaPosted 11/16/2012 11:48:44 PM
It's not even just the graphics. A better engine can do a lot to improve actual gameplay. It was time for a new engine when Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 came out.
---
Invading world of the guilty as spirit of vengeance The guilty pay the price.
I hate Square-Activision's FFXIII and its slew of cash-in spin-offs & sequels
#4PogothemunkyPosted 11/16/2012 11:49:53 PM
Ya I think this engine maxes out what's capable with 60fps on consoles hence why we've never seen a huge graphical update where as PC takes advantage of its up to date hardware
---
PSN --- DEV1LUT1ION
Yeah maybe if I shove a pole into my old xbox I could make a rudimentary war hammer. ~~ Big_Ed_Mustapha
#5elchris79Posted 11/16/2012 11:51:27 PM
People are stupid if they think or even hold out hope for changes to the engine this close to the lifespan of the current consoles.
#6SixStringSamuai(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 11:53:05 PM
elchris79 posted...
People are stupid if they think or even hold out hope for changes to the engine this close to the lifespan of the current consoles.

Halo did it. And I believe Rockstar did it as well for their upcoming GTA game.
---
I'm working on this screenplay for a movie, it's called Schindler's List 2: Let's get this party started.
#7MegaTape13Posted 11/16/2012 11:53:48 PM
It's not gonna happen, it doesn't need to, and it would be kind of pointless on this generation of consoles since the hardware is already a major limiting factor in development. The biggest problems with CoD arise from outdated networking standards and poor game design, not the engine.
---
Oh the movie never ends...
GT: IHOP 13
#8elchris79Posted 11/16/2012 11:55:39 PM
elchris79 posted...

COD gets churned out every year. Those games can have years of dedicated development, something AV wouldn't allow.
#9GnaTAcEPosted 11/16/2012 11:56:19 PM
COD needs to continue to be COD and all they should worry about is coming up with the next big gameplay mechanic. That's all they need to do. That's all any solidified franchise needs to do.

New engine w/e, but it should play like COD til COD dies
---
GT: GnaTAcE (Formerly AceWildfire :P)
Blazblue - (Main: Taokaka) (Sub: Iron Tager)
#10Moose_Of_WoePosted 11/16/2012 11:58:52 PM
I don't give a crap about the graphics or how shiney the maps are.

We're way past due for destructible environments. What Treyarch did with hit detection from WaW, BO, and BO2 needs to be thrown in to a sewer drain. With an entire new engine they can start fresh. Same with the net code overall as of MW3.