Productive lag comp discussion, and a pledge

#1Zero IXPosted 11/19/2012 5:59:26 AM
This message board is filled to overflowing topics centering around the subject, but the vast, overwhelming majority of posts regarding lag or lag comp are petty, pointless, or just plain ol' antagonistic. The only thing such s***posts accomplish is pushing meaningful discussions off the first couple of pages where they're harder to find. How about a change of pace? Instead of acting like stereotypical nerds struggling to express impotent anger in coherent sentences on an online video game forum, let's use our brains and discuss practical methods of dealing with lag comp and other latency-related issues.

I always end up spending way too much time I could use actually discussing the finer points of gameplay such as tactics or class-building getting into non-productive Internet shouting matches. Well, no more—from now on, outside of this topic, I'm going to do my best to only post about the actual gameplay.

Now, I'm no networking expert, and I'm just your average Call of Duty player, but there are plenty of knowledgeable posters on these forums; let's put our heads together and see if we can help some of our fellow players out. Even if all you have to contribute is a setting or two you tweaked on your router that happened to make the game play a little better for you, I guarantee you somewhere out there, someone has the same router and is probably having a similar shoddy time playing Call of Duty... and maybe, just maybe they'll see this topic and benefit from it.

First things first. If you aren't familiar with anti-lag, lag comp, and latency in general, please take a moment to educate yourself. If you think dedicated servers will magically erase lag, you fall into this category. If you think lag comp doesn't exist, you fall into this category. If you think "they should just get rid of" anti-lag and/or lag comp, you fall into this category. If you clicked on this topic primarily because you blame lag comp for your stats being lower in BO2 compared to past Call of Duty titles, you probably fall into this category, too.

Here's an oft-quoted post from Den Kirson regarding anti-lag:

http://denkirson.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=nonsense&thread=53&page=1#195

Here's a fairly articulate YouTube video illustrating anti-lag/lag comp in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reNPK8XD-k4

If you're suffering from lag comp, the first thing to try is setting your Matchmaking search preferences to "Best." This made a HUGE difference for me. I have highest-tier Internet package offered by Comcast in my area, which is supposedly 15 down/5 up but closer to 12 down/3 up in practice, and a cheap (probably crappy) D-Link router, which my Xbox is hard-wired into. I was losing not only virtually every "even" gun fight before I did this, but even those shootouts in which I had a clear advantage, such as surprising the enemy or being behind cover while they weren't, even if I had a four bar connection to the host according to the game, which I almost always have under "Normal" search preferences.

Under the "Best" setting, finding matches takes a little longer and I'm much more likely to have a three bar connection to the host than under "Normal," but a three bar connection to a host and other players with high speed connections is far preferable to a four bar connection to the host of a lobby full of guys with really high ping.

I know not everyone is going to get that "lucky." I've heard of other things you can do such as playing with your router's QoS settings, port priorities, and your Xbox's MTUs. If you've done something like that and seen an improvement in your latency, please share! Maybe it will help someone else out.
---
"An Incandescent Revelation in a World of Darkened Forms"
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
#2roperpokerPosted 11/19/2012 6:06:17 AM
My practical method of dealing with this is to return the game and take a £15 loss.
---
The only time MacMillan was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake. - ( ')
ARTE ET LABORE
#3KillhimGregPosted 11/19/2012 6:07:52 AM
roperpoker posted...
My practical method of dealing with this is to return the game and take a £15 loss.

This
#4JordansgstringPosted 11/19/2012 6:11:31 AM
If you are in uk and on sky you can ring them up and get them to change some settings and it will drastically reduce your ping. If anybody interested I will eloborate
#5Zero IX(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 6:14:02 AM(edited)
Even though I firmly believe Black Ops 2 is one of the most well-designed Call of Duty titles to date in terms of game mechanics, I can't blame anyone for giving up on the game—I would have if I was still experiencing the same latency issues prior to changing my matchmaking preferences.

Edit: Thank you, Jordansgstring! This is the kind of info I'm looking to gather for the benefit of anyone interested.
---
"An Incandescent Revelation in a World of Darkened Forms"
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
#6airbornestormPosted 11/19/2012 6:15:31 AM
Jordansgstring posted...
If you are in uk and on sky you can ring them up and get them to change some settings and it will drastically reduce your ping. If anybody interested I will eloborate

Please do :)
---
Being Airborne means never missing an opportunity to tell everyone how awesome you are!!
#7JordansgstringPosted 11/19/2012 9:16:40 AM
airbornestorm posted...
Jordansgstring posted...

Please do :)

What you need to do is ring sky. Get put through to broadband help. (It's a bit hit and miss as well as some of the operators don't know about this.) ask them to put you on a gamer profile on your broadband. Also ask them to set your maximum delays to 8. I'm not sure what these are, maybe somebody who is more clued up can explain. I found this out through a sky forum it's called skyuser.co.uk If you google "reduce ping on sky broadband" you will find out more in-depth explanation about it. I can reccommend there fiber broad band. I have it and its awesome
#8CallMeSeekerPosted 11/19/2012 9:22:34 AM
I like how the term "lag comp" carried over from MW3, despite them being entirely different in terms of connection issues.

In this game (like in most CoD's) if you're host, you're God. In MW3 if you're host you're screwed.
---
i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz || Biostar TZ77B || Sapphire 6950 || Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 1600MHz || Crucial M4 128GB || Spinpoint F3 1TB
#9Scarlet ArkardPosted 11/19/2012 9:26:41 AM
roperpoker posted...

Putting the funds toward Hitman and taking the loss.
---
"...don't ever let someone with no life ruin yours, that's why I never go to message boards." Colin Cowherd
#10JordansgstringPosted 11/19/2012 9:27:57 AM
CallMeSeeker posted...
I like how the term "lag comp" carried over from MW3, despite them being entirely different in terms of connection issues.

In this game (like in most CoD's) if you're host, you're God. In MW3 if you're host you're screwed.

That could explain why I'm doing far better I have a good broadband and probably pull host a lot
Does anybody know how to tell if your host?