Is the confederate flag reportable?

#61CyhortI82Posted 11/19/2012 11:37:25 AM
It's not a symbol of racism. Contrary to what schools and revisionist historians like to teach, the Civil War wasn't about slavery. It was about the rights of states to govern themselves without the federal government telling them what to do. Slavery was just one issue in that fight. The confederate flag is just a symbol of states rights.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)
#62onilink75Posted 11/19/2012 11:41:33 AM
Funny how it took 100 years after the civil war for blacks to get equal rights, yet this war was about slavery and equal rights.
---
GT: ClamDestroyer
#63TheohazardPosted 11/19/2012 11:46:34 AM
Cactus11 posted...
Theohazard posted...
Cactus11 posted...
I'm responding to your other posts where you have explicitly laid out a reason for the war as being slavery. It was much more than that, and history shows it.

The simplest explanation of the Civil War is to say it was fought over slavery. Sure, it's much more complicated than that, but history is always more complicated when you get into details. The South objected to an overreaching federal government and wanted more states' rights, and the main states' right they wanted was the right to continue slavery.

I would agree with most if what you said here, but I do think that its still too easy to say the MAIN state's right they wanted was to continue slavery. Slavery was a big issue to slaver owners but without all of the myriad of other encroachments by the federal government, the south wouldn't have been nearly as upset. Without turning this into a gigantic history discussion, I would recommend people look up all sorts of laws and regulations the north was trying to impose at the time that ranged from "little to do with" slavery to "had to do with slavery"

You obviously know more about this subject that I do, but I was always under the impression slavery was the biggest states' rights issue. If that's not the case, which single issue was more important?
---
0331: "If you run, you'll only die tired."
#64ManInBlack_77Posted 11/19/2012 11:47:20 AM
TutelarSword posted...
swastikas, the can be a symbol of peace or genocide. It's all up to you, does it offend you? If so, report it.

That is an almost completely BS argument. Yes the swastika did originally mean peace and friendship and all that which is why the Nazi's chose it for their symbol. It was a marketing decision. Here's the thing though: probably 95% of all swastika emblems are a red background with a white circle and the black swastika in the middle. That is the complete Nazi flag. There is no other way to look at it.

Besides that, even for that small number that don't use the full flag scheme we all know, WE KNOW, not suspect, KNOW, that they are referencing Nazis to get a rise out of people. I doubt you could find even a SINGLE person that is actually using a swastika to symbolize friendship.
---
Time magazine's Man of the Year in 2006! Really. Google it if you don't believe me.
#65TheohazardPosted 11/19/2012 11:50:02 AM
CyhortI82 posted...
It's not a symbol of racism. Contrary to what schools and revisionist historians like to teach, the Civil War wasn't about slavery. It was about the rights of states to govern themselves without the federal government telling them what to do. Slavery was just one issue in that fight. The confederate flag is just a symbol of states rights.

Except for the fact that it experienced a huge surge in popularity in the early 20th century and was used as a symbol by Southerners supporting segregation and fighting against the civil rights movement.
---
0331: "If you run, you'll only die tired."
#66PsychoSkidMarkPosted 11/19/2012 11:50:32 AM
I'm still confused how a gamer, playing a game that revolves around genocide, can be offended by a crudely made picture.
---
"God I hate shoppers"- Gamestop store manager
*Death Rays N00b Legends*
#67ZelkyplantPosted 11/19/2012 11:52:59 AM
Now that I know this pisses so many people off, I'm going to start doing it too!
#68BTM4444Posted 11/19/2012 11:53:54 AM
Well considering everyone on here gets butthurt from any emblem they think is "inappropriate", I would say yes.
---
Xbox Live- Zoom In
DO NOT correct me on my grammar because I could care less.
#69George979Posted 11/19/2012 12:10:43 PM
BTM4444 posted...
DO NOT correct me on my grammar because I could care less.

Intentional or not, this is definitely the funniest sig I've seen in a while.
---
www.randi.org
#70outlawstar289Posted 11/19/2012 12:11:05 PM
trololololo
---
IMPERIVM
GT: Commando GMC