The Grinch that Stole Footsteps

#41nswendsenPosted 11/20/2012 10:27:58 AM
I use the headphones setting with my x41s and music down and I hear footsteps just fine. Maybe not across maps like sitrep pro but adapt and survive. The sound in this game IMHO are fine, explosions sound like explosions with a deeper boom. Maps have background noise and some have electrical noise that sound like shock chargers. You are acting like hearing footsteps are the pinnacle of sound technology. Halo 4 and Battlefield both have relatively quiet footsteps.

Like I said I can hear them with my two year old 90 dollar headset with the headphones setting which amplifies low and high sounds. Give it a whirl
---
I shoot you ,you die, you shoot me I die woohoo
#42zxrax_alt_1Posted 11/20/2012 10:30:28 AM(edited)
I've tried everything as well. I really wish you could hear footsteps. Takes some of the fun out of the game IMO

Disagreed. Footsteps make things too easy, and it's another thing I have to worry about when I'm running around. I'm glad they're inaudible. This coming from someone with $300+ worth of audio equipment.
---
Steam: zxrax || GT: v Raage
CM HAF X || i5-3570K @4.5 || Hydro H80 || Maximus V Extreme || 8GB DDR3-1600 || [No GFX] || 120GB SSD || 2TB HDD
#43slayerxelitePosted 11/20/2012 10:51:13 AM
zxrax_alt_1 posted...
I've tried everything as well. I really wish you could hear footsteps. Takes some of the fun out of the game IMO

Disagreed. Footsteps make things too easy, and it's another thing I have to worry about when I'm running around. I'm glad they're inaudible. This coming from someone with $300+ worth of audio equipment.

This guy gets it.

Seriously, Sitrep Pro took soundwhoring to such an extreme level and too many people relied solely on that crutch to perform in game. Now that they cant, they are mad. Like stated, you cant hear them but they also cant hear you. Its a great trade off since its one less thing to worry about. Good players will still be good. Bad players will still be bad.
---
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." - Obi-Wan Kenobi talking about GameFAQs
#44LordofBallyhooPosted 11/20/2012 10:58:26 AM
Made_of_fail posted...
I'm glad footsteps are ****ed in this game because it's kids like you that made SnD a pain in the ass to play. Learn to rely on your sight and most of all MAP AWARENESS skill.

While your tone is likely to irritate everyone whether you want to or not, there's a lot of truth to what you are saying. Why does no one remember MW2 search and destroy? This deserves a topic...
---
F2000 was an unholy weapon. Respect it, and it harvested souls for you. Treat it like the mortal SCAR-H, and it would devour you.
#45fatclemenzaPosted 11/20/2012 11:00:25 AM
Footsteps would be a good counter to the annoying fleas who sprint everywhere hipfiring SMGs with Lightweight and Dexterity. You can't even hear them coming and unless you pack the same loadout AND happen to be on the good end of the lag comp, you don't stand a chance. If you could hear them coming, it would level the playing field, not to mention give DS some actual purpose. I'd like to see footstep volume, but only if Awareness could not counter DS in any way. There needs to be clear-cut immunity from footstep volume.
---
People are strange, when you're a stranger,
Faces look ugly, when you're alone
#46RoketomanPosted 11/20/2012 11:01:28 AM
I for one am glad footsteps are non-existent. I don't have to use dead silence on every class anymore.
---
Christ is Lord
#47Andrew_RyannPosted 11/20/2012 11:20:13 AM
slayerxelite posted...
zxrax_alt_1 posted...

This guy gets it.

Seriously, Sitrep Pro took soundwhoring to such an extreme level and too many people relied solely on that crutch to perform in game. Now that they cant, they are mad. Like stated, you cant hear them but they also cant hear you. Its a great trade off since its one less thing to worry about. Good players will still be good. Bad players will still be bad.

No one in this thread is asking for Sit Rep pro....we're asking for something other than innate dead silence on everyone. That doesn't automatically mean the other extreme of the spectrum. Its not a crutch to use sound to protect yourself from angles your eyes can't see, such as a bad spawn coming up behind you. At the very least the current level of footsteps should require a perk. Almost every game of Hijacked, someone abuses the underground passage between sides to shoot people in the back. It takes ZERO skill to do this, because there's no possible way anyone could know you are coming (ghost) or at what time you will arrive. It sure would be nice to hear them coming up behind me so I at least have a fighting chance. Thats the entirety of having no footsteps; its literally a "pray you're facing the right direction at the right time". There's nothing competitive or skillful about that; its pure luck. If you're in favor of no footsteps, you're basically saying you're in favor of deathstreaks, random grenade toss deaths, spawning into lightning strikes, and anything else that is completely luck based in this game.

So no, I don't find it a "great tradeoff" as you say because it lowers the skill gap in the game. I don't want free kills given to me by virtue of chancing upon someone's exposed ass, and I don't want it done to me. You yourself even state "one less thing to worry about"; if listening to footsteps is such an easy and carefree thing to do, what are you worrying about? Let me guess, a camper hiding in a corner, waiting for the smallest sound, and then jumping out right? If they move, you can hear them too. If they don't move, its the same exact situation as now, that being that they will remain in the corner until you walk in, and then shoot you. If you're "worrying" because its such a taxing thing to do to manage your own footsteps and those of others, whats next in your world? It sure is tough to aim...lets take that out. Reloading too, what a chore. Just a few less things to worry about right?

All of the above aside, why is everyone so opposed to making dead silence actually do what its supposed to do, instead of it always being there?
#48IchibqnBriqnPosted 11/20/2012 11:26:46 AM
The footsteps in this game sounds like you're walking on carpet. Maybe the soldiers just have their socks on, so you can't hear them.
---
May the odds be ever in your favor.
#49RiverofDenialPosted 11/20/2012 11:47:35 AM
I've talked about this on these boards multiple times already.

If you want them to change it, go to the actual CoD forums.

Personally I hope to God footsteps get boosted, but we'll see what happens.
---
XBL Gamertag: Pintsized Girl
#50slayerxelitePosted 11/20/2012 11:57:56 AM
"One less thing to worry about" is because I now dont have someone camping in a corner just listening for me to come along. It has nothing to do with me sitting in a corner since that isnt my playstyle.
---
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." - Obi-Wan Kenobi talking about GameFAQs