Objective reasoning why skill based matchmaking is dumb

#11fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 10:04:25 PM
Its like people think every match before BO2 was a six man pubstomp against vegetables.
---
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively
#12lderivedxPosted 11/24/2012 10:08:01 PM
Its like people think every match before BO2 was a six man pubstomp against vegetables.

Well...
---
#1 Deriver on H4GB
GT: i derive dx
#13BTzzPosted 11/24/2012 10:12:11 PM
He does bring up a good point with the alternate accounts.

I dare anyone to go play Halo 3's ranked playlists, specifically MLG. It's impossible to level up because the early levels are populated by second accounts. Or they were before it became a complete ghost town, at least.

Then he goes into 'don't help bad players' and such, and sounds rather stupid. Players who go on gamefaqs and youtube make up maybe 10% of the COD community and it's important to recognize that when discussing things like this.
---
Xbox GT: Ian Bits
#14fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 10:14:09 PM
Then he goes into 'don't help bad players' and such, and sounds rather stupid. Players who go on gamefaqs and youtube make up maybe 10% of the COD community and it's important to recognize that when discussing things like this.

I don't think bad players care much about getting stomped as long as they still play. I back this up with my IRL friends who are horrible, yet still go to midnight release for every installment, along with millions of others.

If Treyarch is trying to appease bad players to guarantee their purchase, its a wasted effort. They'll buy regardless.
---
#15JacobD99Posted 11/24/2012 10:18:20 PM

I agree with this completely.

This I disagree with. Anyone who played CoD before MW2 never received any special treatment. You get better by practicing and playing people better then you.
#16The_Last_AznPosted 11/24/2012 10:18:27 PM
Alternate accounts are held back from pubstomping though, by the (imo) really crappy scorestreak unlock system. Meaning they can't go around calling dogs and vtols off the bat.

They have to basically lose a bunch of games on purpose before they can replace the crappy dragonfire with something good.

Even as an above average player, I'm pissed that it takes 40+ levels to unlock the orbital vsat, when I would've preferred it over the stealth chopper I had been using in a heartbeat.
---
Gamertag: The Last Azn
Black FC: 4513 0061 7179
#17BTzzPosted 11/24/2012 10:21:29 PM
JacobD99 posted...

I agree with this completely.

This I disagree with. Anyone who played CoD before MW2 never received any special treatment. You get better by practicing and playing people better then you.

Video Games are not for getting better at, they're for having fun with.

I understand people doing poorly shouldn't be handed things, but being constantly put up against people who clearly treat the game differently than you do is unfair and it's tough to argue otherwise. As someone who wants SBMM removed, I understand why it's in. I just don't think it's really necessary for unranked play to have it when there's ranked play in the game. Theoretically, if a bad player had an issue with getting matched up against great players every game, they could just go into league play and get matched up with someone at their skill level.
---
#18BTzzPosted 11/24/2012 10:21:48 PM
The_Last_Azn posted...
Alternate accounts are held back from pubstomping though, by the (imo) really crappy scorestreak unlock system. Meaning they can't go around calling dogs and vtols off the bat.

They have to basically lose a bunch of games on purpose before they can replace the crappy dragonfire with something good.

Even as an above average player, I'm pissed that it takes 40+ levels to unlock the orbital vsat, when I would've preferred it over the stealth chopper I had been using in a heartbeat.

You unlock VTOL pretty early.
---
#19fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 10:23:45 PM
Just so everyone is clear, I am in no way supporting the old habits of six man parties dropping 100+ kills each on a bunch of randoms.
---
#20JacobD99Posted 11/24/2012 10:30:57 PM
Video Games are not for getting better at, they're for having fun with.

I understand people doing poorly shouldn't be handed things, but being constantly put up against people who clearly treat the game differently than you do is unfair and it's tough to argue otherwise. As someone who wants SBMM removed, I understand why it's in. I just don't think it's really necessary for unranked play to have it when there's ranked play in the game. Theoretically, if a bad player had an issue with getting matched up against great players every game, they could just go into league play and get matched up with someone at their skill level.

I would have to argue that getting better and fun go hand and hand, but that may be just me.

I agree with you regarding league play. They have essentially made league play useless when public matches have the same sort of match making process.

I think another problem with skill based match making is that it adds an extra element into who you get matched up against. This CoD is arguable the most connection based one to date. Adding in an extra element to matchmaking is an all around horrible idea.