Objective reasoning why skill based matchmaking is dumb

#111wow_just_wow1Posted 11/25/2012 5:15:14 PM
Jimm3rF3rdette posted...
wow_just_wow1 posted...
Jimm3rF3rdette posted...
David Vonderhaar ‏@DavidVonderhaar

"No matter what you forum post you read or what YT video you watched, connection is king at all times above all other criteria"

*this is implying the sudden outcry about sbmm, im guessing he has been getting a lot of tweets now that alot of people have discovered that this game does in fact use it.

can people please tweet him and call his bluff? After testing a few different scenarios out yesterday, i am 100% convinced SBMM exists, but Vahn is just denying it.

He's not denying SBMM. He's just saying connection is a more important factor in matchmaking.

yes, but that's still bull crap. skill plays a more important factor than connection. fact.

It's impossible for us to know that. Fact.

It could work like this: search for lobbies that you have the best connections to, then out of those lobbies give you the one that is closest to your skill level.
#112HereticKitsunePosted 11/25/2012 5:41:03 PM
The biggest issue I have with skill-based matchmaking is how it leads to me being matched up with full clan parties. This gets annoying since I rarely feel like playing even remotely seriously.
---
mildare_el_rayo: What's the word I'm looking for, here? "An angsty person who loves to complain."
Calad:Squall?
#113zxrax_alt_1Posted 11/25/2012 5:59:38 PM
I would assume that nobody really enjoys that at all. You're crying out for a system that inflicts the very thing you hate on a lot of people. Unbelievable.

You're not very bright, are you.

'm sorry but that's simply not true. Many, if not most of my opponents in older games were a different breed of gamer than I. They didn' t care. Their definition of a fun and relaxing game is different from mine. Like I said, most of my IRL friends are awful, but they enjoy playing the game. Once again, I'll bring up the subjectivity of 'fun'

---
Steam: zxrax || GT: v Raage
HAF X || i7-3770K @4.5 || H80 || Maximus V Extreme || 8GB DDR3-2133 || [Integrated :(] || 120GB SSD || 2TB HDD
#114zxrax_alt_1Posted 11/25/2012 6:07:49 PM
It is about players who would like to do well, but can't and give up. This is for the people who purchase the game and play the campaign. Yet, they go into multiplayer and cannot get going because they get into lobbies and get killed repeatedly. It's not fun for them, so they give up and do something else. Maybe they get a few hours of MP play in. What do you think the likelihood is that these people purchase DLC?

This is the best argument I've seen thus far for SBMM from an objective, business oriented standpoint. I commend you for that thought.

The flaw here is that a lot of those people still aren't going to "do well" and enjoy the game enough to purchase DLC. Given that the average K/D is just below 1.0, a .4 K/D player's plausible playerbase in a skill-based system is more like .3 to 1.2 in terms of population of enemies. This .4 K/D player won't only be playing against .4 K/D players - He'll still be playing against plenty of people better than him. He might have a .7 K/D in this game as opposed to his .4 in the last games. What will that do? Raise his plausible base of enemies to a higher level. He'll then meet players with .4 to 1.5 ratios instead. Then he'll start to do badly, and cycle back over and over again.

Almost every online game has some sort of SBMM. No one has a problem with it and it's generally expected that games will have it to some degree or another. If you want people to keep playing a game, you don't match skilled players with noobs. That's a simple truism that's not even debatable in any type of game that matches humans against humans.

This is true as well. CoD was one of the games that didn't though, and many people enjoyed the fact that they didn't have to try in order to succeed and could simply relax playing the game.

Does anyone else find this hilarious given that he's just been called out in another thread for dashboarding?

I dashboarded because I was host, and typically the people get mad when hosts dashboard out of games. God damn, you people are so incredibly unintelligent sometimes. I don't know why I even bother around here. That is my first dashboard in my day and a half of playtime, and until I meet another group of douchebags and want to make them angry again, it will be my last.
---
HAF X || i7-3770K @4.5 || H80 || Maximus V Extreme || 8GB DDR3-2133 || [Integrated :(] || 120GB SSD || 2TB HDD
#115FeelMyBladePosted 11/25/2012 6:10:24 PM
zxrax_alt_1 posted...

I dashboarded because I was host, and typically the people get mad when hosts dashboard out of games. God damn, you people are so incredibly unintelligent sometimes. I don't know why I even bother around here. That is my first dashboard in my day and a half of playtime, and until I meet another group of douchebags and want to make them angry again, it will be my last.

This really isn't helping your claims.
---
brohoof anyone? ^-^ /) ? No. of Brohoofs-35
I reward Cool users with a Cool Prize. Wait list: 2, Given:12
#116vigorm0rtisPosted 11/25/2012 6:11:22 PM
FeelMyBlade posted...

I'm waiting for him to say one thing that does.
---
Protip: If you don't see gorilla coming he's already behind you, lotion bottle in hand. --CaPwnd
#117zxrax_alt_1Posted 11/25/2012 6:13:55 PM

"Does anyone else find [that he doesn't care about stats] hilarious considering someone just said he dashboarded?"

"I dashboarded to make my douchey enemies mad."

That's really hurting my claim. Super bad.
---
#118FeelMyBladePosted 11/25/2012 6:16:44 PM
zxrax_alt_1 posted...

"Does anyone else find [that he doesn't care about stats] hilarious considering someone just said he dashboarded?"

"I dashboarded to make my douchey enemies mad."

That's really hurting my claim. Super bad.

Stats or just making enemies mad, dashboarding is low.

I understand why some people don't want skill based matchmaking, but if you want to convince anyone for support, I suggest another approach.
---
brohoof anyone? ^-^ /) ? No. of Brohoofs-35
I reward Cool users with a Cool Prize. Wait list: 2, Given:12
#119zxrax_alt_1Posted 11/25/2012 6:29:08 PM

so? i never claimed to be a white knight. I don't need anyone's support anyways. I know I'm right. It just disturbs me that people can be so stupid.
---
#120vigorm0rtisPosted 11/25/2012 6:32:47 PM
zxrax_alt_1 posted...

so? i never claimed to be a white knight. I don't need anyone's support anyways. I know I'm right. It just disturbs me that people can be so stupid.

It's not stupid to think that you're kind of laughable for thinking this isn't the equivalent of playing against a little league team to get your kicks. Sure, kids aren't being victimized, but it's approximately as sad.
---
Protip: If you don't see gorilla coming he's already behind you, lotion bottle in hand. --CaPwnd