Objective reasoning why skill based matchmaking is dumb

#131LittleshrtstoutPosted 11/25/2012 9:14:16 PM(edited)
stuff

tl;dr

in all seriousness though :p
I agree. The past few games have always added some new feature that has to help the "bad players". Things like Dead Man's Hand, etc. etc. were very annoying but at least they were things to use in-game to "help". Skill Based Matchmaking is just what isaac said, and plenty of others. It pits you against players that just annoy you.

Now, there are going to be two different reactions to what I've just said.
1) You're just bad if you can't take the same competition.
2) I agree, I don't want to have to play/try difficult players all the time.

To those who don't understand, it sounds whiney, but you fail to see the bigger picture.
Players being good or average are now stuck always having to play harder and never get to really relax and play FOR FUN!

At the same time, the "bad players" (either bad and care, or just playing casual) are not going to get better. What was wrong with the old system of ALL the lobbies being a random mix? That was perfect. Sometimes you play easy, sometimes normal, and occasional against another party which was actually fun because of the rare/competitive occasion.

Companies need to stop babying players by adding this crap, yes, crap. If you really wanted to get better, you would just practice (lol practice in games, shut up), put in more time, and put forth the effort.

I loved treyarch for WaW and BO1 but this..... I mean, I always knew the developers themselves were bad at the game but now they have just punished everyone. It's ridiculous. The old system was fine and now nobody can enjoy the game.

What's worse is "don't play the game" isn't a real answer. To some of people this is on the same level as enjoying sports, or any hobby for that matter, and when it gets ruined like this for a dumb reason, yes of course we're going to say something about it.

/rant
---
Relaxing Piano: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-MzuomKPC0
GT: TheYesYEsShow
#132zxrax_alt_1Posted 11/25/2012 9:17:10 PM(edited)
Wasn't going to even post in this thread, but someone commented on a video of mine and i kind of ended up venting a little about this...

His comment: "really... you think you deserve to not have to try. duh..... only idiots and kids too young to have the game enjoy watching pub-stomping. Yes... youtube is full of idiots i guess. This is the best idea to come to COD. Get better or be average. oh, or are you sooooo rad that you can't get any better. Once you get to a 5/0 KD, then you wont have to try once again. How dumb, to expect to be good w/ Xbow only. "BAD"player = average in reality. why design a game for the elite only? Get real...."

My reply was as follows(minus swear words). Broken up into multiple youtube comments because of the character limit >_>

"Honestly I couldn't give two s**** about my K/D. It's the worst idea to come to cod. Because of this brilliant system if i actually try the other team dashboards 95% of my games and it's 6v1 the rest of the time. Zero exaggeration. I never actually get to screw around. It's either tryhard my nuts off and make them quit or use a less than stellar gun and get destroyed. Everybody starts out as a bad player, and if you keep playing against other bad players you'll never ever get better and if you don't care"

"enough to get better than you have zero excuse for being stomped. It has nothing to do with me thinking I deserve not to have to try, because I don't think like that. And it has nothing to do with "omg now you can't get youtube gameplays every lobby" because idgaf about that. I just want to be able to play games with my friends. That's it. But i can't do that when every single lobby is full of people using the best "pro setups", headglitching every barrel, abusing every exploit, trying so hard"

"that i'm pretty sure they've broken into a full on sweat trying to win...only to have them rage quit when they realize they can't win. So i ask you one single question. Please tell me why bad players deserve to play this game for fun with their friends, screw around with whatever guns they want every game, and actually play an entire 6v6 game, but "good" players can't? Why? I'm not asking every game to be against brain dead opponents. It's a lot of fun having competitive games sometimes."

"But holy s*** is it not fun playing supreme tryhards for 4 hours in a row every night sometimes."

Agree with me, don't. I honestly don't care. But I figured i'd post my opinon here as everyone else has already. This will be my only post in this topic because arguing over something that's mostly opinion based is pointless.

tl;dr

stuff

tl;dr
---
Steam: zxrax || GT: v Raage
HAF X || i7-3770K @4.5 || H80 || Maximus V Extreme || 8GB DDR3-2133 || [Integrated :(] || 120GB SSD || 2TB HDD
#133wow_just_wow1Posted 11/25/2012 10:03:10 PM
No one is stopping anyone from just playing the game for fun. No one. You want to rush around with nothing but a rocket launcher? Go for it. You can do it whenever you want. Just because your opponents are trying hard does not mean that you have to.

The only thing stopping any of you is your own attitudes. Do what you want. Have fun.

Just stop trying to come up with so-called objective reasons why skill-based match making is inherently wrong. Stop it. It is used in almost any endeavor that results in competition between humans because it makes logical sense. Call of Duty is not inherently different than everything else in the world.

Every single reason you guys come up with boils down to nothing more than "I enjoy beating up on lesser players without having to try to do so. It should not matter whether they enjoy it or not because they suck so how they feel doesn't matter."

Do you guys not realize how narcissistic you sound?

Skill-based match making is a way to make things more fun for more people. Are there ways that it could be handled better? Yes. I'd suggest focusing on that because it is not going to go away. If all you have is that you want to be able to beat up on bad players whenever you want, then your complaints are going to fall on deaf ears.
#134LittleshrtstoutPosted 11/25/2012 10:15:11 PM
tl;dr

tl;dr
---
#135gunho7Posted 11/25/2012 10:16:37 PM
Littleshrtstout posted...
tl;dr

tl;dr

trolol, how come you went to play gun game instead of host lobbies so it wouldn't lag for you? :(
---
GT: steven the show
AKJohnnyB is bad
#136LittleshrtstoutPosted 11/25/2012 10:34:20 PM
Littleshrtstout posted...
tl;dr

tl;dr

trolol, how come you went to play gun game instead of host lobbies so it wouldn't lag for you? :(

I like the party games since they're less stressful. And in the regular games I always feel/am behind by a little bit. I know, it sounds really whiney, but it's just what I see on my own tv. I always admit when it's a fair death and it's sometimes my fault, but other times it's cause I'm behind and I notice it too much in this game and not any other. Coincidence or not, I didn't feel like getting flustered that much tonight :p
---
#137BrostachePosted 11/25/2012 10:51:55 PM
yea there is no downside to sbmm.

other than for people with ego problems.. If you wanna just roflstomp enemies, play against bots.

I just wish the skill rating system was visible so I can track my progress and know if im getting better or getting worse.
#138FeelMyBladePosted 11/25/2012 10:53:01 PM
Brostache posted...

other than for people with ego problems.. If you wanna just roflstomp enemies, play against bots.

I just wish the skill rating system was visible so I can track my progress and know if im getting better or getting worse.

But people want to play casually while padding their KDR.
---
brohoof anyone? ^-^ /) ? No. of Brohoofs-35
I reward Cool users with a Cool Prize. Wait list: 2, Given:12
#139zxrax_alt_1Posted 11/25/2012 10:53:06 PM

LMFAO. Even the people who disagree with me aren't stupid enough to say that
---
Steam: zxrax || GT: v Raage
HAF X || i7-3770K @4.5 || H80 || Maximus V Extreme || 8GB DDR3-2133 || [Integrated :(] || 120GB SSD || 2TB HDD
#140duericPosted 11/25/2012 11:01:30 PM(edited)
wow_just_wow1 posted...

Just stop trying to come up with so-called objective reasons why skill-based match making is inherently wrong. Stop it. It is used in almost any endeavor that results in competition between humans because it makes logical sense. Call of Duty is not inherently different than everything else in the world.

I have a totally objective reason. It's redundant.

People wanna play in a competitive environment? Play league.

Besides, the matchamking in pubs isn't skill based, it's stat based. Two entirely different things.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member