Objective reasoning why skill based matchmaking is dumb

#151vigorm0rtisPosted 11/26/2012 3:48:53 AM
JVel91 posted...
Am I the only one here

Who doesn't give a s***?

Honestly, not really. I'm not all excited about SBMM, but I can't stand elitism in gaming. I'm an older gamer, I remember a time when new players weren't treated like trash, they were encouraged, sometimes coddled a little. Humiliation was not a part of gaming.

Better times. Better players. No one needed bad players to have a good time.
---
Protip: If you don't see gorilla coming he's already behind you, lotion bottle in hand. --CaPwnd
#152duericPosted 11/26/2012 3:52:05 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
JVel91 posted...
Am I the only one here

Who doesn't give a s***?

Honestly, not really. I'm not all excited about SBMM, but I can't stand elitism in gaming. I'm an older gamer, I remember a time when new players weren't treated like trash, they were encouraged, sometimes coddled a little. Humiliation was not a part of gaming.

I don't know, man. I don't think it's so much about needing "bad" players as it is not wanting all "good" players.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#153Cornbread4lifePosted 11/26/2012 3:55:03 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
JVel91 posted...
Am I the only one here

Who doesn't give a s***?

It's just about wanting some variety man. I don't want to play people JUST like me every game. I'd be so much happier if they threw me in with a bunch of noobs one game and then putting me in with the best players in the universe and just getting decimated. At least that's exciting because you don't know what you're gonna get. This game is just predictable, I have the same results every time no matter what I do.
---
GT: Cornbread4life
I'm loud, obnoxious, vulgar, impaired by "substance abuse" 99% of the time, but I kill it. Keep that in mind if you add me on live
#154vigorm0rtisPosted 11/26/2012 3:57:33 AM
dueric posted...

I don't know, man. I don't think it's so much about needing "bad" players as it is not wanting all "good" players.

I get that, but the level of entitlement-- as if the unwashed masses exist to make the game fun for a select few-- is pretty onerous on these boards.

I'm taking a hit, too-- maybe not as bad as some better players, but my K/D has has dropped .2 in the last week and my W/L has gone down some. I'm not bothered.
---
Protip: If you don't see gorilla coming he's already behind you, lotion bottle in hand. --CaPwnd
#155duericPosted 11/26/2012 4:05:23 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
dueric posted...

I get that, but the level of entitlement-- as if the unwashed masses exist to make the game fun for a select few-- is pretty onerous on these boards.

I'm taking a hit, too-- maybe not as bad as some better players, but my K/D has has dropped .2 in the last week and my W/L has gone down some. I'm not bothered.

I hear ya, man. And I agree to an extent. But I do think a lot of people are genuinely dissatisfied with SBMM for reasons other than wanting to play noobs all day.

In the last few days since confirmation the game has gotten worse. Campers and cheesy players aside, people are simply afraid to stay in lobbies. It's slowing down matchmaking and leading to tons of lopsided games.

And if I know anything about COD's community, it's only going to get progressively worse.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#156Halo_ForeverPosted 11/26/2012 4:13:01 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...

This, I rarely ran the high killstreaks in BO, since any lobby where I could effortlessly get them was one where I didn't need them. I tended to handicap myself in BO depending on the opposition, while I never outright allowed them to kill me, doing things like pistol only or Dual PM63's gave the other guys a chance, while still allowing me to have some semblance of challenge (rushing with Dual HS-10 on Array had its own charm).

However sadly it seems like most people would just rather put on the highest killstreaks and tightest tryhard pants possible and go from there.

For my part, compared to BO the drop has been 0,6. Otherwise I'd be fine, but the lag comp has be annoying. I like the flanking routes, but the headglitch spots can go and die a in a fire.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#157fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 1:29:49 PM
Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with this topic, but I've been set to Warned status, so my responses are limited. I'll make one final post here since it seems we are at a deadlock.

Let me start by saying that I'm glad to see the other side come up with a valid counter argument. Granted, it took about 140 posts for it to happen, but it was at least a legitimate argument, not "hurr ur bad coz u cnt pubsomp ne more low self esteam" and other baseless assumptions..

However, as supercoolisaac said up there somewhere, this issue is largely opinionated. One side clearly isn't going to change the other side's mind, but I understand the other side's argument about truly maximizing sales figures and DLC sales figures.

I still stand by my position, and I know plenty more here that agree, not that it will change anything. This will likely be my last post here since I can't afford anymore.
---
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively
#158duericPosted 11/26/2012 3:28:28 PM
fatclemenza posted...
Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with this topic, but I've been set to Warned status, so my responses are limited. I'll make one final post here since it seems we are at a deadlock.

Let me start by saying that I'm glad to see the other side come up with a valid counter argument. Granted, it took about 140 posts for it to happen, but it was at least a legitimate argument, not "hurr ur bad coz u cnt pubsomp ne more low self esteam" and other baseless assumptions..

However, as supercoolisaac said up there somewhere, this issue is largely opinionated. One side clearly isn't going to change the other side's mind, but I understand the other side's argument about truly maximizing sales figures and DLC sales figures.

I still stand by my position, and I know plenty more here that agree, not that it will change anything. This will likely be my last post here since I can't afford anymore.

The main thing people are forgetting "from the other side" is:

Just because it might be all bad stat players in a lobby, doesn't mean they're all having fun, doing well, and not getting owned. All bad players playing all bad players is the EXACT same thing as all good players playing all good players.

I mean, bad stats, good stats, average stats don't do jack s*** to separate skill. That's what EVERYBODY is forgetting.

Beasts with bad stats exist. So do scrubs with good ones.

I'd rather be in a lobby with all beasts with bad stats, because at least then I know half of them will be on my team.

The real reason the system is useless is because of how easily it can and will be broken.

If anyone is going to maximize anything from this, it's going to be Xbox Live with all the second accounts.
---
#159darkshadowmasterPosted 11/26/2012 3:31:28 PM
JVel91 posted...
Am I the only one here

Who doesn't give a s***?

Nope.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#160barbjornkumaPosted 11/26/2012 5:21:29 PM
Littleshrtstout posted...
stuff

tl;dr

in all seriousness though :p
I agree. The past few games have always added some new feature that has to help the "bad players". Things like Dead Man's Hand, etc. etc. were very annoying but at least they were things to use in-game to "help". Skill Based Matchmaking is just what isaac said, and plenty of others. It pits you against players that just annoy you.

Now, there are going to be two different reactions to what I've just said.
1) You're just bad if you can't take the same competition.
2) I agree, I don't want to have to play/try difficult players all the time.

To those who don't understand, it sounds whiney, but you fail to see the bigger picture.
Players being good or average are now stuck always having to play harder and never get to really relax and play FOR FUN!

At the same time, the "bad players" (either bad and care, or just playing casual) are not going to get better. What was wrong with the old system of ALL the lobbies being a random mix? That was perfect. Sometimes you play easy, sometimes normal, and occasional against another party which was actually fun because of the rare/competitive occasion.

Companies need to stop babying players by adding this crap, yes, crap. If you really wanted to get better, you would just practice (lol practice in games, shut up), put in more time, and put forth the effort.

I loved treyarch for WaW and BO1 but this..... I mean, I always knew the developers themselves were bad at the game but now they have just punished everyone. It's ridiculous. The old system was fine and now nobody can enjoy the game.

Well said. I agree with the different game styles. The random mix.

Halo_Forever posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...

This, I rarely ran the high killstreaks in BO, since any lobby where I could effortlessly get them was one where I didn't need them. I tended to handicap myself in BO depending on the opposition, while I never outright allowed them to kill me, doing things like pistol only or Dual PM63's gave the other guys a chance, while still allowing me to have some semblance of challenge (rushing with Dual HS-10 on Array had its own charm).

However sadly it seems like most people would just rather put on the highest killstreaks and tightest tryhard pants possible and go from there.

For my part, compared to BO the drop has been 0,6. Otherwise I'd be fine, but the lag comp has be annoying. I like the flanking routes, but the headglitch spots can go and die a in a fire.

I would do the same (handicaps). Sometimes its fun to handicap yourself and try inferior guns like the HK21, or the RPK from BO1. Even acog snipers. If I am going try hard 24/7 I can't do this. I will get my **** pushed in. It's terrible. I expected League play to be tryhard mode, but come to find out that league play matchmaking is implemented in public play. Not only does it make league play useless, but it leads me to go into the party games where I can regularly top the leaderboards with an occasional guy that competes against me for top spot, but I can also have more fun even if I don't get 1st place. It's gotten to the point where I don't play public unless I have a full party because I can't stand dealing with the tryhard atmosphere unless I have people backing me up. It's stressful, and not fun like MW3 or BO was/is.