Objective reasoning why skill based matchmaking is dumb

#21incognito1990Posted 11/24/2012 11:33:58 PM
"Theoretically, if a bad player had an issue with getting matched up against great players every game, they could just go into league play and get matched up with someone at their skill level."

This. If you want to be matched against people with the same skill level then go play League. That is what its for. This skill based matchmaking system has turned this game into a try-hard fest and its really grating and tiresome competing against these drop shotting, head glitching people repeatedly every single damn match.
#22The_Last_AznPosted 11/24/2012 11:38:11 PM
BTzz posted...
The_Last_Azn posted...
Alternate accounts are held back from pubstomping though, by the (imo) really crappy scorestreak unlock system. Meaning they can't go around calling dogs and vtols off the bat.

They have to basically lose a bunch of games on purpose before they can replace the crappy dragonfire with something good.

Even as an above average player, I'm pissed that it takes 40+ levels to unlock the orbital vsat, when I would've preferred it over the stealth chopper I had been using in a heartbeat.

You unlock VTOL pretty early.

Maybe it's the connection issues effing up consistency, but VTOL without VSAT will be pretty rare. A true pubstomping lobby would be running stuff like lightning > VSAT > VTOL/K9
---
Gamertag: The Last Azn
Black FC: 4513 0061 7179
#23dannyaqPosted 11/25/2012 8:22:55 AM
he's missing some of the point. its not just about making bad players good, its about letting bad players have fun. even if what he says is true that you simply can't help bad players (which I disagree with) that has little to do with the idea that you can make the game more fun for bad players.

and the idea that people can cheat the system is stupid. people could boost and cheat the system before to get the unlocks or simply to boost their K/D or W/L ratio. does that mean introducing the RPG leveling system and keeping track of any kind of stats is a bad idea since it only encourages cheating the system? halo 3 proved that the skill matching system can work really well.

and I really don't get why people say it ruins making silly fun classes like shield knife classes or whatever. the argument I keep seeing is that you will be paired with good players if you are good so silly classes won't work at all. But if you use them frequently, you won't be paired with good players. sure maybe you are good when you take the game seriously, but if you don't take it seriously, then the stats will suffer and oyu will be placed with other players accordingly. the solution would be to use ranked to play serious and use public for all your silly desires, problem solved.

I dare anyone to go play Halo 3's ranked playlists, specifically MLG. It's impossible to level up because the early levels are populated by second accounts. Or they were before it became a complete ghost town, at least.

well I don't know about the MLG playlist, never played it much, but for the rest it was simple to level up. and then you kind of plateaued at the skill level that was apropriate for you. the problem was people wanted to be a level 50 when they clearly were not skilled enough to warrant being up there. i don't know why they wanted it when they would get destroyed, but whatever. I was perfectly happy hovering around 42. and wouldn't the alternate accounts be playing horribly on purpose so that the main one would rank up? I figure if anything alternate accounts would make ranking up too easy.

This I disagree with. Anyone who played CoD before MW2 never received any special treatment. You get better by practicing and playing people better then you.

but nobody is getting special treatment. everybody is being treated exactly the same.

besides, apart from the worry of people boosting, none of these reasons are for non skill based matchmaking, they are only saying why skill based isn't necessary. why is non skill based matchmaking desired? I really don't get it. there are only 2 reasons i can see.

1. people like using killstreaks an obviously that is much easier when getting matched with people that have a lower average skill level. but to solve that problem, you can just as easliy lower the requirements for killstreaks. If you desire to get killstreaks, and clearly you don't care if they are rewards for playing extremely well (since stomping noobs is acceptable), why not just have the top kill streaks as a reward after only 5 kills or something?
or
2. people like to get easy wins. but the flip side to that is it comes at the expense of cheap losses. so get over it, people hate cheap losses as much as you like easy wins.

so tell me even if skill based matchmaking does nothing to help, how does random matchmaking help? what advantages does it provide?
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#24fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 8:31:08 AM
CoD became fun for everyone because of the ability to easily stomp noobs. When it was possible to consistently put up big games. Anybody who went into CoD saying they're looking for a challenge 24/7 are playing the wrong series. The whole idea of getting matched against better people to improve competition is moot due to the completely random nature of lag in this game.

You talk about bad players being able to have fun. They obviously always had fun if they keep buying the game every year.

Again, its not like it was a constant pubstomp against solo players. I'm a solo player myself most of the time. If anything, they should have added a system that matches parties with other parties. Now, I end up playing against groups of communicating tryhards, and have no choice but to play that way or lose.
---
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively
#25vigorm0rtisPosted 11/25/2012 8:37:06 AM
fatclemenza posted...
CoD became fun for everyone because of the ability to easily stomp noobs. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFcqGGMPc3k
---
Protip: If you don't see gorilla coming he's already behind you, lotion bottle in hand. --CaPwnd
#26Hyrulesaver123Posted 11/25/2012 8:44:49 AM
I've never backed the "you get better by playing better players logic". You can get decent at playing Call of Duty by bad players. You can get your shot down and some basic tactics against bad players. From there you become a decent player who plays decent players with decent tactics. You began to develop your own tactics and intuition and you become good. That's how I did it all people should be able to do it. Playing good players simply discourages you.

This guy just wants it to be easier for him to get better gameplays. Like he gives two ****s about bad players unless they're on the other team.
---
Steam ID: FalsifyTheTruth; Currently Playing: Bordlerlands 2
#27VauntXPosted 11/25/2012 8:47:58 AM(edited)
@vigorm0rtis: Sums it up perfectly.

I actually find it hilarious that people are freaking out like this so bad. At the first topic, I was just like what an idiot, but after about ten topics of this ****, I can only shake my head in disbelief.
#28dannyaqPosted 11/25/2012 8:49:26 AM
fatclemenza posted...
CoD became fun for everyone because of the ability to easily stomp noobs. When it was possible to consistently put up big games. Anybody who went into CoD saying they're looking for a challenge 24/7 are playing the wrong series. The whole idea of getting matched against better people to improve competition is moot due to the completely random nature of lag in this game.

You talk about bad players being able to have fun. They obviously always had fun if they keep buying the game every year.

Again, its not like it was a constant pubstomp against solo players. I'm a solo player myself most of the time. If anything, they should have added a system that matches parties with other parties. Now, I end up playing against groups of communicating tryhards, and have no choice but to play that way or lose.

how is it obvious that these same bad people bought the game every year? i have friends who only bought modern warfare 2 and quit because they sucked at multiplayer. they will only play halo with me. getting stomped was not fun for them. and again i ask what is it about stomping noobs that is fun? if its the killstreaks, then you can simply make them easier to get. if it is simply about getting wins, you can play dumb bots.

and you are right I'm looking for an evenly matched challenge which is why i havn't bought a call of duty since modern warfare 2. this is now the right series for me when halo was previously.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#29fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 8:52:18 AM(edited)
In the end, bads will still be bad, and good player will still be good. All this has accomplished is making it so that you can't just relax and play at all because Jimmy Tryhard has to run round with his laser MSMC and go negative anyway.

how is it obvious that these same bad people bought the game every year? i have friends who only bought modern warfare 2 and quit because they sucked at multiplayer. they will only play halo with me. getting stomped was not fun for them. and again i ask what is it about stomping noobs that is fun? if its the killstreaks, then you can simply make them easier to get. if it is simply about getting wins, you can play dumb bots.

Because each game outsells the last durr so they must keep buying every year
---
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively
#30vigorm0rtisPosted 11/25/2012 8:53:21 AM
VauntX posted...
@vigorm0rtis: Sums it up perfectly.

I actually find it hilarious that people are freaking out like this so bad. At the first topic, I was just like what an idiot, but after about ten topics of this ****, I can only shake my head in disbelief.

I know. If people don't want competition, why are they playing a competitive online game? Is it a self esteem thing? If they just like the gameplay they can stomp the bots. Since that's not enough, it's clearly an issue of bettering others in an arena where they can't compete. I hate to be harsh about it, but if you need that to have fun in CoD, you don't really like the game, and I have to assume you're not successful at anything IRL.
---
Protip: If you don't see gorilla coming he's already behind you, lotion bottle in hand. --CaPwnd