Objective reasoning why skill based matchmaking is dumb

#41dannyaqPosted 11/25/2012 8:22:19 AM
dredd1123 posted...
The reason I am as good as I am is because I bought CoD4 about 2 years after release. I think my K/D was about .2 for the first few months. Then I started watching every single kill cam to see how I was killed (still do that today). I would argue that playing with good players makes bad ones better, from personal experience.

It makes the game significantly more dificult for someone like me who rarely plays in a party but still has pretty good stats.

but skill based matchmaking does that too. you get matched with people who are on average the same as you. key word being average. some are a little better, some are a little worse. over time your average goes up and as that happens you get matched with better people. Your analogy is like saying by watching the NBA 24/7 i can become a great basketball player. Sure it helps more than not watching, but at some point you actually have to play and not just keep dying and watching kill cams. you have to be able to try some of the techniques you saw instead of just getting killed before you can try.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#42MG42_CHEFPosted 11/25/2012 8:23:25 AM
SBMM is objectively pointless because it makes League play redundant. Also, it causes poorer connection due to less availability of players of similar skill level. Fact, there will be more people who are bad at something than are good. There are more bad players in CoD than there are good so this means, all good players get a large amount of lag from game to game due to the matchmaking straining to find enough people for a lobby. So, 3arc has basically alienated the most vocal part of their fanbase.
---
"I loved throwing cans of flatulance at people sitting in corners. Even the hitmarker noise sounded like a fart. I will also miss those days." -aj4x94
#43fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 8:24:36 AM
SBMM is objectively pointless because it makes League play redundant. Also, it causes poorer connection due to less availability of players of similar skill level. Fact, there will be more people who are bad at something than are good. There are more bad players in CoD than there are good so this means, all good players get a large amount of lag from game to game due to the matchmaking straining to find enough people for a lobby. So, 3arc has basically alienated the most vocal part of their fanbase.

Its depressing to see a game do so many good things correctly, but blow it all with one or two asinine features, isn't it?
---
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively
#44Zero IXPosted 11/25/2012 8:33:42 AM(edited)
BTzz posted...
Video Games are not for getting better at, they're for having fun with.

That's a really good quote.

Personally, I'm in the camp that doesn't see why we can't satisfy everyone:

*Unranked playlists
*Ranked playlists
*Separate playlists

It's hard to argue this wouldn't be the best of both worlds.

That said, not gonna lie, I'm glad the guys who play purely for their precious stats are getting a taste of their own medicine. I can't help but feel that the #1 reason most people are against skill-based matchmaking in pubs is almost entirely because they're going to have to work at it a little to watch those numbers go up. I've got zero sympathy for that kind of player.

I get that people want to be able to roflstomp baddies. I don't get people that think it makes them good because they can roflstomp baddies.

MG42_CHEF posted...

You're talking out your ass. You have no idea how the search function prioritizes connection vs. skill level. Not only would it be ass-backwards for matchmaking to search first by skill level, then by connection, but everything Vahn's tweeted so far suggests it's the opposite.
---
"An Incandescent Revelation in a World of Darkened Forms"
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
#45dannyaqPosted 11/25/2012 8:28:17 AM
fatclemenza posted...
why can't you relax? just relax and lose. same as the people you like to stomp. why can't you play at all? oh is getting owned by jimmy tryhard not fun? then how do you explain it still being fun for the bads?

relax at all when you play* sorry mistyped that above

Sure, I can still play, and I can still get great scores. Just gotta use the same setups they do to be on the same playing field. Which gets old after the 9001st time of doing it

right because they don't get new customers at all... i mean I have certainly never come across a kid who is 12 years old that was 3 years old when the first game was released.

You're really saying they should cater to 12 year olds lmao good one

you are missing my point. why can't you relax and play with the silly fun class or whatever you want to use. i never said you would win. why can't you relax while losing?

No, i'm not saying they should cater to 12 year olds. i'm saying they should cater to the 18+ year olds who have tried it got owned and havn't bought the game again.

and how is league play redundant? you can play league play when you want serious competition and play public when you want to relax and play not seriously which it would seem a lot of people are vocal about doing. if you only play public in a not serious relaxing manner, you will be matched up with not serious relaxing players and not the johnny tryhards.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#46PharoahPelicanPosted 11/25/2012 8:29:06 AM
Objective reasoning why it's bad: It's not.

Suck it up. It's ridiculous when something like skill based matchmaking is actually disliked.
---
I do not aim with my hand, I aim with my eye. I do not shoot with my hand, I shoot with my mind. I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart.
#47dirtybrownPosted 11/25/2012 8:30:31 AM
So, 3arc has basically alienated the most vocal part of their fanbase.

yes, but not the part who make them the most money (the kid buying his first xbox, the dad buying a game him and his son could enjoy together, the nursing student passing time in between studying). those people are the people that treyarch ultimately wants/needs. these people know NOTHING and care not of what you guys are talking about.

if everyone on gamefaqs/youtube pissing and moaning about the game boycott it, do you think activision/treyarch will still make a profit?

abso-f***ing-lutely
---
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/13172100.jpg
#48fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 8:31:42 AM
Suck it up. It's ridiculous when something like skill based matchmaking is actually disliked.

Skill based matchmaking is redundant in a series that barely has a skill gap.

There's a quote from the late Stealth Clown Robert Bowling out there that reads "we made the game based around fun, not competition". Maybe he was on the right track.
---
#49VauntXPosted 11/25/2012 8:32:43 AM
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how somebody can complain about being paired against tryhards in one post and in another complain about being forced to use optimal setups because their opponents are using them.

When did K/D and W/L become so important that people became willing to sacrifice 99% of a games content in order to inflate them?
#50fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 8:37:04 AM
When did K/D and W/L become so important that people became willing to sacrifice 99% of a games content in order to inflate them?

I don't care about stats though. They're just a bi-product of performance, and sometimes bragging rights amongst a group of friends.

I hold myself to a higher standard with everything I do in life. That includes killing more than I die on a game-to-game basis. Back in the day, you could use a **** setup and still post up a good score. Hell, I would use a bad setup when I knew the lobby was full of noobs just to level the playing field and mix it up a bit.
---