Objective reasoning why skill based matchmaking is dumb

#61gucciburrrPosted 11/25/2012 9:50:36 AM
This whole SBMM makes zero sense when you realize that parties are not specifically being matched against each other. Solo players, matched up against parties, get manhandled just like in previous installments. I've seen it time after time. Thiss SBMM does nothing but decreases the player pool which is probably why the matchmaking is so damn terrible. Nothing like playing a whole round of Domination with one other teammate despite the fact that half of million people are online at that moment. It's rather pathetic...
#62fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 9:52:26 AM
Good players already have a place to play good players.

We play pubs for pure fun. We like to be able to experiment with other gun setups/perks while still having a chance to win.

It gets old really quick being essentially forced to stick to an SMG or the M8 to win a match. These higher-level lobbies are also plagued with mouthy little kids that literally do nothing but sit on the game all day and are wanna-be MLG players.

I was getting hate mail 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 games. That's not fun. I miss playing with cool people once in a while.

Fortunately, I tanked my stats on purpose, so this game will be fun again once the lag and spawn issues get sorted out.

I tried conveying this already, oh and

What the flying f*** makes you think CoD is a competitive game? Shock charges, claymores, betties, sights that look through walls... yeah, CoD was really designed to be competitive from the get-go...

That's not the case. And the whole 'if you don't want competition play bots on easy' argument needs to stop, because it' s absurd. This is absolute evidence that the individual wielding that argument is awful at the game. Playing against bots is not the same, and if you were half as good as anyone else on this board you would understand that concept.

This too. But hey, I guess we're just mad stat obsessed basement dwelling pubstompers afraid of competition... yeah that must be it derp
---
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively
#63Zero IXPosted 11/25/2012 9:54:42 AM
Fortunately, I tanked my stats on purpose, so this game will be fun again once the lag and spawn issues get sorted out.

I have a 1.6-8 KDR, a 270-300 SPM, and a 1.3 W/L. Yesterday, I had about a dozen games in a row where I went positive by +30-40 kills. However, for most of today, I felt like I was struggling just to get a 2.0 and still win. Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever be consistent, no matter what your stats are. :/
---
"An Incandescent Revelation in a World of Darkened Forms"
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
#64vigorm0rtisPosted 11/25/2012 9:55:07 AM
zxrax_alt_1 posted...

What the flying f*** makes you think CoD is a competitive game? Shock charges, claymores, betties, sights that look through walls... yeah, CoD was really designed to be competitive from the get-go...

There are scores, leaderboards, and stat tracking.

/debate.
---
Protip: If you don't see gorilla coming he's already behind you, lotion bottle in hand. --CaPwnd
#65dannyaqPosted 11/25/2012 9:58:42 AM
It gets old really quick being essentially forced to stick to an SMG or the M8 to win a match. These higher-level lobbies are also plagued with mouthy little kids that literally do nothing but sit on the game all day and are wanna-be MLG players.

so do you either not care about people other than yourself, or do you think that somehow it doesn't get old really quickly for less skilled players to be forced to stick to the same optimal loadout to have a chance at winning against better players? your complain is that basically you have to play a certain way when matched against somebody of equal or better skill than you. so why do you expect to be matched against people who are worse than you and force them into the same situation you are complaining about?
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#66Zero IXPosted 11/25/2012 9:58:43 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
zxrax_alt_1 posted...

/debate.

I say get rid of all this stuff for pubs and reserve it for the ranked playlists. You want bragging rights? Gotta earn them.

Let pubs be neither skill-based nor stat tracking.
---
"An Incandescent Revelation in a World of Darkened Forms"
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
#67fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 9:59:41 AM

/debate.

You can track stats when taking a dump too but that doesn't make it competitive
---
#68MG42_CHEFPosted 11/25/2012 9:59:45 AM
Zero IX posted...
BTzz posted...
Video Games are not for getting better at, they're for having fun with.

That's a really good quote.

Personally, I'm in the camp that doesn't see why we can't satisfy everyone:

*Unranked playlists
*Ranked playlists
*Separate playlists

It's hard to argue this wouldn't be the best of both worlds.

That said, not gonna lie, I'm glad the guys who play purely for their precious stats are getting a taste of their own medicine. I can't help but feel that the #1 reason most people are against skill-based matchmaking in pubs is almost entirely because they're going to have to work at it a little to watch those numbers go up. I've got zero sympathy for that kind of player.

I get that people want to be able to roflstomp baddies. I don't get people that think it makes them good because they can roflstomp baddies.

MG42_CHEF posted...
SBMM is objectively pointless because it makes League play redundant. Also, it causes poorer connection due to less availability of players of similar skill level. Fact, there will be more people who are bad at something than are good. There are more bad players in CoD than there are good so this means, all good players get a large amount of lag from game to game due to the matchmaking straining to find enough people for a lobby. So, 3arc has basically alienated the most vocal part of their fanbase.

You're talking out your ass. You have no idea how the search function prioritizes connection vs. skill level. Not only would it be ass-backwards for matchmaking to search first by skill level, then by connection, but everything Vahn's tweeted so far suggests it's the opposite.

I am not talking out of my ass, I am talking from my experience. 90% of my matches I am a .5 second behind. And it is a fact that there are more bad players than good, otherwise I wouldn't have such a bad connection because the matchmaking is grinding along to find more skillful players.
---
"I loved throwing cans of flatulance at people sitting in corners. Even the hitmarker noise sounded like a fart. I will also miss those days." -aj4x94
#69fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 10:01:52 AM
so do you either not care about people other than yourself, or do you think that somehow it doesn't get old really quickly for less skilled players to be forced to stick to the same optimal loadout to have a chance at winning against better players? your complain is that basically you have to play a certain way when matched against somebody of equal or better skill than you. so why do you expect to be matched against people who are worse than you and force them into the same situation you are complaining about?

Less-skilled players can improve and assimilate. Bad players don't give a rat's ass what they do. They're the ones who quickscope 24/7 spinning around with Tomahawks and are content with going 1-37 as long as they got that "Siick CLIPZ br0!". There's a difference.
---
#70dirtybrownPosted 11/25/2012 10:11:18 AM
Less-skilled players can improve and assimilate.

good players should also be able to as well, and do it better than bad players....
---
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/13172100.jpg