Objective reasoning why skill based matchmaking is dumb

#71VauntXPosted 11/25/2012 9:12:05 AM
But hey, I guess we're just mad stat obsessed basement dwelling pubstompers afraid of competition... yeah that must be it derp

You've already indicated that you whip out the tryhard classes when your opponents are using them against you. So there's Exhibit A for my experience of this game is inherently limited by my desire to perform well.
#72Zero IXPosted 11/25/2012 9:13:07 AM
MG42_CHEF posted...
Zero IX posted...
BTzz posted...
snip

MG42_CHEF posted...
snip

You're talking out your ass. You have no idea how the search function prioritizes connection vs. skill level. Not only would it be ass-backwards for matchmaking to search first by skill level, then by connection, but everything Vahn's tweeted so far suggests it's the opposite.

I am not talking out of my ass, I am talking from my experience. 90% of my matches I am a .5 second behind. And it is a fact that there are more bad players than good, otherwise I wouldn't have such a bad connection because the matchmaking is grinding along to find more skillful players.

Yes, you are talking out your ass. Stop spreading misinformation. Everything you just posted is pure conjecture. Vahn stated the whatever portion of the matchmaking is based on skill is only as good as whoever else is searching for a game at the time, not the other way around, not to mention there are plenty of reasons why one might feel ".5 second[s] behind" the rest of the lobby that are far better attested to. If your kill cams show you lagging behind what happened from your perspective and you don't have a downright terrible Internet connection, it's far, far more likely that you've been lag comp'd than that you have a poor connection to the host.
---
"An Incandescent Revelation in a World of Darkened Forms"
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
#73vigorm0rtisPosted 11/25/2012 9:16:22 AM
Zero IX posted...

I say get rid of all this stuff for pubs and reserve it for the ranked playlists. You want bragging rights? Gotta earn them.

Let pubs be neither skill-based nor stat tracking.

Agreed. Maybe then people would play instead of sweating stats.

Thing is, I'm not bad. The assumption is, since I'm not butthurt about SBMM is that I must suck. I'm not great, either, and I'm doing slightly worse (just slightly) in this game than I have in previous ones. But I'm having more fun-- closer matches, no ridiculous matches where some guy with amphetamine-dosed spider monkey reflexes dominates the match and the rest of us just... watch. Still a lot of matches where guys don't play the objective but still score almost as much as I do because they kill more... you take what you can get.

So, whatever guys. Keep complaining. It won't change. Can't say I regret seeing the generally asinine elitism that has dominated CoD in years past come back to bite it in the ass. Said it before and I'll say it again-- if you need other people to be terrible at something--anything-- so you can enjoy it, you're likely a failure IRL.
---
Protip: If you don't see gorilla coming he's already behind you, lotion bottle in hand. --CaPwnd
#74VauntXPosted 11/25/2012 9:24:50 AM
I say get rid of all this stuff for pubs and reserve it for the ranked playlists. You want bragging rights? Gotta earn them.

I would like this to be implemented, but judging by the backlash to SBMM, I think the response would be absolutely nuclear.
#75Zero IXPosted 11/25/2012 9:28:49 AM(edited)
Mark my words: if KDR can be forced to give way to W/L as the primary determinant of someone's skill in CoD, the game will be drastically improved...

Dashboarding will be far, far less rampant.

Teammates will actually try to win instead of just hoard kills.

There will be less camping.

We'll get actually interesting gameplay footage on YouTube of close-ass matches instead of blowouts against players who may as well be bots.

Seriously, get rid of stat-tracking in pubs and I guarantee you the game will be 100x more pleasant when everyone's not worrying about protecting their precious KDR. Imagine people running around trying to get obscure challenges or gold camo for their knives or their sick 360 no scope fakey YY ladder stall clip without their teammates complaining about their hurting the team's chance of winning. Leave skill-based matchmaking for a ranked playlist.

VauntX posted...

I would like this to be implemented, but judging by the backlash to SBMM, I think the response would be absolutely nuclear.

To that I say GOOD.

We have the technology to build a better mousetrap, so let's do it.
---
"An Incandescent Revelation in a World of Darkened Forms"
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
#76MasterViVi2Posted 11/25/2012 9:34:16 AM
fatclemenza posted...
There are scores, leaderboards, and stat tracking.

/debate.

You can track stats when taking a dump too but that doesn't make it competitive

It is if your tracking stats against other peoples dumps
---
Current backlog - Disgaea 2, Final Fantasy 6, Witcher 2, Rage, Radiata Stories, Mass Effect (Vanguard playthrough), Dragon Age: Origins (Nightmare playthrough)
#77VauntXPosted 11/25/2012 9:35:32 AM
Well this conversation took a turn into the arousing.
#78zxrax_alt_1Posted 11/25/2012 10:31:11 AM
dirtybrown posted...
Less-skilled players can improve and assimilate.

good players should also be able to as well, and do it better than bad players....

Which is why people like me and Joel and IHOP and Steven have solid stats in this game.

But I'm personally not having as much fun trying my heart out every game to keep it like that, and I know I'm not alone in that sentiment.
---
Steam: zxrax || GT: v Raage
HAF X || i7-3770K @4.5 || H80 || Maximus V Extreme || 8GB DDR3-2133 || [Integrated :(] || 120GB SSD || 2TB HDD
#79Superman070776Posted 11/25/2012 10:35:15 AM
Yeah...it totally sucks to have to add effort or real skill to your gaming session. It is much better to be stuck in a room of players who can't even beat Easy Bots, and feel superior. That is a weak argument and just shows the kind of community COD has these days.
---
Game Devs...you will never please all of these complainers...so just ignore them and keep giving the rest of us the games we like.
#80fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 10:40:10 AM
Yeah...it totally sucks to have to add effort or real skill to your gaming session.

Its pubs in call of ****ing duty, the most connection based game on the market. Stop acting like there's some uber skill gap.

You sig makes you sound like a huge fanboy btw
---
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively