As a COD fan I want to say COD requires no skill. stop pretending otherwise.

#21HeyZeussPosted 11/29/2012 5:59:34 AM
I agree with TC, games like COD, don't really require 'skill' so much in the sense that if you can line someone up, they're dead. If you're lined up, you're dead. The weapons are hitscan, meaning no bullet travel time, meaning once you're in someones sights, you're basically dead. You can try to strafe or duck or jump or whatever, but if the guy shooting you has any 'skill' (The only case where 'skill' is actually a factor - aiming) he'll follow your movements easily, aaand you're dead. Nothing you can do about it. So it basically comes down to who sees who first, and who can track movements better. You could call that skill, I guess.

It all really comes down to tactics, and how 'smart' you are, not really how 'skilled'. If you can plan out an attack, and know the map well enough, you can predict where an enemy is going to be before they're there, and you will do well, whether you have perfect aim or not. If you run around blindly...not so much. So being smart, I don't believe, equates to having skill. Just my opinion.

FPS games that DO require skill, are games like Quake, Unreal etc... Where if you're getting shot at there's actually something you can do about it. And aim HAS to be good, or you'll miss or the other guy will dodge, then kill you.

Watch this video from UT3 to see some real Cr4zy 'skill' in an fps. (Guys name is Cr4zy, hehe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsHVOJ5su8A

(Don't think any of that would be possible on a console with a gamepad though...)
#22GuiltyGear1682Posted 11/29/2012 6:15:07 AM
Assassin_X_Geth posted...

I don't hate COD, I just hate when people say you need amazing skill to play it. Actually it would be like saying Skyrim takes skill and is hard. When we know Dark Souls is actually hard and takes actual skill.

Memorizing patterns aren't exactly as skill as you made it out to be. IDS is a great game, owned both Demon and Dark Souls, but as for difficulty wise, it's average tops. Of course, I'm not a FPS player, the last most recent COD I played is MW3, and I don't even own a copy of it, I just play for fun.

So as your logic/theory goes, to me, COD requires more skill than Demon/Dark Souls, simply because I am better at one type of game than the other... and you see where I'm going with this, right..?
---
You have a room?!?! - Russell Peter
#23Ryan-06Posted 11/29/2012 6:26:40 AM(edited)
unceramonius posted...
THIS GAME IS ALL CONNECTION

My god you delusional people. Oooooh im neo from the matrix, morphing through bullets, im da best!!!!!!!

Actually no your not....lag comp is stroking your ass making you about a zillion times better than you actually are. You may as well play with codes on for infinite health

Now do well on cod 4 or mw2 and your not the host....THEN i will beg to differ. But this game? BULLCRAP.

Lol..

Anyway in addition to CS, as an older gamer myself TC, I wanted to add, before the kids went crazy after COD4, I was among the kids playing the one and only original, UNREAL TOURNAMENT (1999) on PC. Now that takes some real twitch skills, especially when playing in custom matches where the game speed is increased, or Instagib matches. So intense! Takes some real accuracy with the red Shock Rifle. (There's also Quake, but didn't play it much)

Shame kids may never play it themselves since they only wanne keep up with the latest FPSs nowdays. *Cue UT theme!*
---
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six
http://i50.tinypic.com/who87l.gif
#24spartanzrulePosted 11/29/2012 6:29:06 AM(edited)
I see a lot of opinions in this thread, so I'll just leave this fact here: How much skill is required to be 'good' at a game is directly related to the average skill level of everyone who plays it.

Saying that CS, CoD, or any game for that matter takes more skill than the others to play is just, false. Period.
---
The more you study, the more you learn. The more you learn, the more you forget. So what's the point of studying?
#25BeastLeeAdamsPosted 11/29/2012 6:44:21 AM
N0v4k41n posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
I wasn't aware Counter Strike required skill either. I suppose being able to get to a choke point/camp spot faster than the other team is a skill.

/facepalm

Do me a favor. Load up CS and pick any assault rifle. Load a bot and stand across the map from it. Aim your crosshairs on the bot and hold down the trigger. Report back here when you kill it.

See you never.

CS:GO was released earlier this year and was pretty easy once you adjusted your playstyle. People can't say that anymore because it's not true, the game is not that challenging.
#26shadowsofdawnPosted 11/29/2012 6:51:52 AM
To play the game doesn't take skill, but to consistently do well and win games does. Otherwise everybody would have a 1 K/D and which team wins a game would be completely random.
---
\o/ Administering jolly ass-whoopings everyday.
.||
#27duericPosted 11/29/2012 6:57:32 AM
shadowsofdawn posted...
To play the game doesn't take skill, but to consistently do well and win games does. Otherwise everybody would have a 1 K/D and which team wins a game would be completely random.

Totally.

People just have a bad day and get pissed. I don't blame them. The game is designed for people to have fun with it. So even the biggest noob can run off a good game or two every now and then.

Topic should have said something like, it doesn't take skill to have a good game in COD.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#28N0v4k41nPosted 11/29/2012 7:04:23 AM
BeastLeeAdams posted...
N0v4k41n posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
I wasn't aware Counter Strike required skill either. I suppose being able to get to a choke point/camp spot faster than the other team is a skill.

/facepalm

Do me a favor. Load up CS and pick any assault rifle. Load a bot and stand across the map from it. Aim your crosshairs on the bot and hold down the trigger. Report back here when you kill it.

See you never.

CS:GO was released earlier this year and was pretty easy once you adjusted your playstyle. People can't say that anymore because it's not true, the game is not that challenging.

Fair enough, I didn't play GO because I made the assumption early on that it would be dumbed down. Apparently I was right?

Even so, I'm talking 1.6 or even Source here. Full auto from across the map just isn't going to happen.
#29robulastagePosted 11/29/2012 7:20:20 AM(edited)
Just curious, how many of you guys listen to metal or rock?

Because you all sound like metal fans who say rap and country are bad because, "They take no skill."
#30BrostachePosted 11/29/2012 7:10:55 AM
cod definitely requires skill. I got hammered last night when playing and completely tanked my k/d.... I went negative every single game.

I was considering stopping, but I didn't want to be one of "those guys" that care about their k/d, and I wanted to unlock the smr.

but if the game didn't require any skill, I should be playing just as well blasted as I do sober. The fact that I was getting absolutely embarrassed every single game, shows that all in all there is a considerable amount of skill involved.

and it wasn't like I was playing bad because I was hammered and didn't care, I was tryharding way more than usual because it was pissing me off going from being consistently first on my team to consistently last.

then again that's running and gunning, if I was camping I doubt my performance would have been affected very much, as camping does literally require no skill. So I guess technically you can do well at cod if you have no skill but that also applies to CS as camping works well there to.

really the only shooters that require skill in that case are arena shooters like halo and quake where camping won't make up for being a terrible player, and you will end up sucking no matter what.