As a COD fan I want to say COD requires no skill. stop pretending otherwise.

#31Ertrick36Posted 11/29/2012 7:11:41 AM
Normally, I'd share the same sentiment as the original poster. However, there can be some tacticality as to how you play the game. Does it require skill to do a "no-scope"? F*** no, it's just luck and I hate when people claim otherwise. Does it require skill to stragedize, plan, and fight with your team? Yes, but people barely do that in CoD. Why? Because CoD rewards the selfish player a lot more than the co-ordinate player. You don't get very many points fending off enemies with a riot shield or suppressing the enemy; you get the most points by killing and taking objectives. But probably one of the most ubsurd things about CoD is the killstreaks. This urges players to not only just kill, but to "kill steal" and dissociate from the rest of the team. Why? So they can end the game with a boom. Sometimes that requires skill, but usually that would include "camping", which is uncool in the world of CoD. So I just stay in one spot constantly to wait on enemies to come into my sights and kill them. The only reason you keep getting killed by campers is because you're an idiot and 1) do not watch the kill cams and 2) constantly do the same thing and react slowly. The reason why camping works is because it's tactical, not hacking. Back to my point, it's not that CoD requires no skill to be good at it; it's that there's no one left that has skill, as everyone's selfish and too afraid to try tactics for it would ruin their reputation supposedly. CoD fans are too obsessed with running around knifing everyone and doing no-scope competitions. They need a cactus up their a**es...
---
What determines whether a game is good is your experience every time you play the game, not the opinions of other people (unless you let it do so).
#32rhys855Posted 11/29/2012 7:22:03 AM
Call of duty is all in aim and luck if you got neither don't play.
---
http://us6.memecdn.com/Orochimaru-Michael-Jackson_c_7692.jpg
Official Kisame of the NUNS3 Boards
#33another_drewPosted 11/29/2012 7:24:04 AM
Assassin_X_Geth posted...
Not sure how old everyone is here but most older gamers (I'm in my early 30s) tend to say COD is way to easy compared to COD. COD was the game that always had people fighting to see who was best. No kill streaks. No infinite lives. Nothing really but the basics. You even started out (depending on the mode/mod) with a little money and had to earn it. Once you beat a match you started all over with the default amount of money.

It took skill. However if you REALLY want skill then play Americas Army, not sure if its still around but that game was way more realistic then games today. Getting shot in the leg slowed you down, left a blood trail and left untreated you would die....for good (well for that round). It required even more skill and a ton of patience. Lets not forget you could kill your teammates which would affect your game and your ranking in game. There were actual ROE's. Just firing a RPG without checking behind meant you could kill a teammate accidently and break the ROE.

After playing that and CS I feel like COD is essentially a game about being Rambo with a butt ton of over the top ways to kill people. Spamming grenades, care packages, missile strikes...etc. I get its not a realistic game but after awhile it feels overkill.

I don't hate COD, I just hate when people say you need amazing skill to play it. Actually it would be like saying Skyrim takes skill and is hard. When we know Dark Souls is actually hard and takes actual skill.

AA is still around actually. Me and a friend were discussing that game just the other day. The amount of realism, the fact that it was used as a training sim for actual soldiers. Something tells me CoD couldn't handle it. I'm sorry but I do honestly agree that CoD is too easy compared to alot of the FPS' out there. Three reasons for this A) lag compensation. if your playing a game that cant be bothered to establish a stable connection then you can't honestly say you are better when 85-90% of the time its due in part to the other guys actions not registering. B) Aim assist. This actually mainly applies to the Console version as pc version does not have this for obvious reasons. The fact that you don't actually have to aim ON your enemy to get a hit, but rather aim NEAR your enemy, proves that the game is requiring any effort on your part. C) Killstreaks. This one is just a given. Having autonomous rewards that get massive amounts of kills on your behalf without you even being present. How does that not scream easy mode? Most of these people who claim that CoD takes epic amounts of skill, regardless of your playstyle, have obviously never played games like Counter Strike where your reaction speed doesn't matter nearly as much, connections are stable, running while shooting is a terrible idea, and no one in their right mind would bring a knife to a gunfight. The fact of the matter is CoD is geared toward casual players, it's easier by design, and I bet if you ask Acti, they will freely admit this.
#34BrostachePosted 11/29/2012 7:26:56 AM
Perhaps thats why people play COD more because CS is to challenging for them. Feel free to post I am a troll despite the fact I own this game too. I don't play it as much as I do CS because COD is to easy.

you do realize when counter strike came out it was the casual shooter for the masses to enjoy that weren't good enough to play quake and unreal.

nice slow gameplay for noobs and lots of objects to hide behind and spray your opponents for easy kills. That's why counterstrike was so massively popular, it was easy as hell and required much less skill so everyone could enjoy it.

CS requires little if anymore skill than COD. The only difference is there aren't many noobs because its an old ass game and most of your competition has been playing the same game for years. If they stopped making cods for 5 or so years and the only players still playing were the diehard COD crowd that's been playing it for 5 years straight... It would be exactly like CS.

I played CS when it first came out, coming from quake the game was easy as hell... And it was a no talent campfest full of noobs.
#35namewitheldPosted 11/29/2012 7:37:02 AM
CS is made by Valve.

COD is made by sea cows.

Big difference.
#36namewitheldPosted 11/29/2012 7:39:31 AM
Brostache posted...
Perhaps thats why people play COD more because CS is to challenging for them. Feel free to post I am a troll despite the fact I own this game too. I don't play it as much as I do CS because COD is to easy.

you do realize when counter strike came out it was the casual shooter for the masses to enjoy that weren't good enough to play quake and unreal.

That is absolute BS.

Team Fortress was the casual MP variant. And it was still more competitive* than either quake or unreal.

*had a bigger competition scene.
#37duericPosted 11/29/2012 7:43:21 AM
namewitheld posted...
Brostache posted...

That is absolute BS.

Team Fortress was the casual MP variant. And it was still more competitive* than either quake or unreal.

Yeah. I don't know what the hell that dude was talking about.

Quake III and Unreal Tourney were boss games, but not even remotely close to being "non-casual",
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#38BrostachePosted 11/29/2012 8:31:37 AM
dueric posted...
namewitheld posted...
Brostache posted...

That is absolute BS.

Yeah. I don't know what the hell that dude was talking about.

Quake III and Unreal Tourney were boss games, but not even remotely close to being "non-casual",

how do you figure?

so by halving the game speed, removing the need for map knowledge by not having powerup spawns, removing all platforming elements, removing the need to strafe and jump while aiming.... Somehow makes CS more difficult?

instead now you can just stand behind chest high cover, completely still and just spray people as they run by...

I guess slow moving targets are more difficult to hit, and its more difficult to aim while being stationary in your mind?

I guess the ultimate skill fest in your opinion would be a shooter where players are locked in place the entire game and just sit there taking turns killing each other.

go watch professional players on youtube. The counter strike guys sit crouch aiming at corners and the quake live guys are rocket jumping around at 50 miles per hour while keeping spawns timers and trying to strategically deny their opponents powerups. All the while trying to pinpoint their enemy with rail gun shots or lead them with rockets.

but somehow, aiming at a corner crouched takes more skill than that....gimme a break. Quake takes boatloads more skill to master than CS, you literally have to be the most massive CS fanboy to not realize that.

and CS was the most popular online PC fps for years (hell it might still be), so either everyone on the PC is massively skilled or the more likely answer is that its easy enough for the average PC gamer to enjoy. Things that take a lot of skill like writing high level mathematical proofs, usually aren't that popular with the masses, while things that take no skill, like watching tv, usually are.
#39duericPosted 11/29/2012 8:34:43 AM
Brostache posted...

how do you figure?

so by halving the game speed, removing the need for map knowledge by not having powerup spawns, removing all platforming elements, removing the need to strafe and jump while aiming.... Somehow makes CS more difficult?

instead now you can just stand behind chest high cover, completely still and just spray people as they run by...

I guess slow moving targets are more difficult to hit, and its more difficult to aim while being stationary in your mind?

I guess the ultimate skill fest in your opinion would be a shooter where players are locked in place the entire game and just sit there taking turns killing each other.

go watch professional players on youtube. The counter strike guys sit crouch aiming at corners and the quake live guys are rocket jumping around at 50 miles per hour while keeping spawns timers and trying to strategically deny their opponents powerups. All the while trying to pinpoint their enemy with rail gun shots or lead them with rockets.

but somehow, aiming at a corner crouched takes more skill than that....gimme a break. Quake takes boatloads more skill to master than CS, you literally have to be the most massive CS fanboy to not realize that.

and CS was the most popular online PC fps for years (hell it might still be), so either everyone on the PC is massively skilled or the more likely answer is that its easy enough for the average PC gamer to enjoy. Things that take a lot of skill like writing high level mathematical proofs, usually aren't that popular with the masses, while things that take no skill, like watching tv, usually are.

Dude, this is hardly worth arguing over. It's all opinion.

Besides, pro players and pub players are two totally different entities.

A pro Unreal Player would get owned by a pro CS player and vice versa.

Even Michael Jordan sucked at baseball.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#40ZodiacKillerJrPosted 11/29/2012 8:34:52 AM
COD takes absolutely no Skill.

I play on the PC, but the concept is still the same. With earlier FPS's like Counter-Strike 1.6, you actually had to have 'skill'. Spray and pray and Random luck shots worked ONLY if you know how to use them.

I played COD 4 for 4 hours. My last match was on a Server which aloud hacking. Mind you, I was not hacking. I was playing in a 3v1 which I was the one. My score was 42/2, not a lie or an exaggeration... the game simply is just easy, hold the trigger down for 1.5 seconds with ALL weapons except pistols/snipers/shotguns.

Pistols, shoot as fast as you can up close. At long range aim for the chest you have a better chance than the head.

Snipers... ABSOLUTELY NO SKILL! NO SKILL DOES IT TAKE TO SNIPE! SNIPING TAKES NO SKILL! Just because REAL snipers in REAL LIFE are massively skilled doesn't mean these kids/adults who think they're good because they played the map 600 million times and know where people are going to be.

Shotguns are shotguns... If you have an Auto-Shotty then you're a skilless noob. If you go with a pump you have slightly more skill (shot guns aren't hard, just lack range for the skilless)

When Call of Duty comes out with Different recoils for all there guns, gets rid of their Killstreak Bull, and make knifing a 2 hit process instead of this easy as pie 1 hit stab. THEN I'll call it a decent game, until then I'm forced to play it, because of my Co-workers.

Viva La Counter-Strike 1.6 (I don't say Source because they are what STARTED COD's stupid no recoil bs)