As a COD fan I want to say COD requires no skill. stop pretending otherwise.

#41namewitheldPosted 11/29/2012 8:47:21 AM(edited)
dueric posted...
Brostache posted...

go watch professional players on youtube. The counter strike guys sit crouch aiming at corners and the quake live guys are rocket jumping around at 50 miles per hour l.

Were probably at an impasse if youre going to leverage leet rocket jumping skills against crouch camping.

If you think rocket jumping and COUNTING making a game super serious business then I dunno what to say other than : TF was way better at the over the top stuff than either quake or unreal and CS was for the people that wanted a different experience (recoil that mattered, strict objective based play, really quick TTK's etc).

edit: TF and CS are precisely why I love Valve so much. They made TWO completely different MP variants as well as the best ever (at the time) campaign and story in gaming. They essentially made the best ever game that all but killed both unreal and quake.

editedit: I actually really liked quake and unreal I dont want it to come accross as me hatin' on them. Its just that I find it objectionable that you say CS was for casuals and that freeking Quake was serious business.
#42ryanaPosted 11/29/2012 8:44:12 AM
My last match was on a Server which aloud hacking.

Wow dude. Aloud =/= Allowed.

Proofread your posts please.
#43ZeroShot101Posted 11/29/2012 8:46:31 AM
I played CS source for 6 years both games require a certain amount of skill that being map knowledge and using mechanics to your advantage
#44BrostachePosted 11/29/2012 9:28:32 AM
dueric posted...
Brostache posted...

how do you figure?

so by halving the game speed, removing the need for map knowledge by not having powerup spawns, removing all platforming elements, removing the need to strafe and jump while aiming.... Somehow makes CS more difficult?

instead now you can just stand behind chest high cover, completely still and just spray people as they run by...

I guess slow moving targets are more difficult to hit, and its more difficult to aim while being stationary in your mind?

I guess the ultimate skill fest in your opinion would be a shooter where players are locked in place the entire game and just sit there taking turns killing each other.

go watch professional players on youtube. The counter strike guys sit crouch aiming at corners and the quake live guys are rocket jumping around at 50 miles per hour while keeping spawns timers and trying to strategically deny their opponents powerups. All the while trying to pinpoint their enemy with rail gun shots or lead them with rockets.

but somehow, aiming at a corner crouched takes more skill than that....gimme a break. Quake takes boatloads more skill to master than CS, you literally have to be the most massive CS fanboy to not realize that.

and CS was the most popular online PC fps for years (hell it might still be), so either everyone on the PC is massively skilled or the more likely answer is that its easy enough for the average PC gamer to enjoy. Things that take a lot of skill like writing high level mathematical proofs, usually aren't that popular with the masses, while things that take no skill, like watching tv, usually are.

Dude, this is hardly worth arguing over. It's all opinion.

Besides, pro players and pub players are two totally different entities.

A pro Unreal Player would get owned by a pro CS player and vice versa.

Even Michael Jordan sucked at baseball.

well we are talking about the game requiring skill, which is why I'm referencing the game mechanics.

it seems CS people are referring to the community not the game but the players change from lobby to lobby. If you find a CS room that's all a bunch of of noobs and you dominate them CS can be easy as hell.

I'm talking skill requirement of the game itself... As in its more difficult to shoot faster moving targets, and since the targets in quake move faster... It is factually more difficult to aim in quake.

skill requirements of a game are the measure of required skill to master the game. Not to beat your opponent, as your opponents change.

for instance chess is popular with kids, so for that reason alone... I'm probably an above average chess player... And I don't play chess that often... Which if using your criteria would mean "chess requires no skill" which I think most people would disagree with.

and michael jordan was awesome at baseball.

I mean even the worst pro gamer is still better than 99.9% of people that play video games. But if you are talking the skill required to be a professional gamer then quake wins it again.

if a pro cs player played quake against a pro quake player having never played the game before he wouldn't be able to get a single kill on the quake player, as he doesn't have the map knowledge, and even if he did he doesn't have the platforming skill to effectively traverse it.

if a pro quake player played cs against a pro cs player, he would do poorly... But he would probably be able to get some kills in, map knowledge while beneficial isn't necessary to kill someone and other than that the only skill you really need is to be able to aim quickly, which a quake player would already have.

he wouldn't be completely lacking any required skills necessary to play... Because say it with me "cs requires less skill than quake"
#45Rome218Posted 11/29/2012 9:48:22 AM(edited)
I used to be an avid CS player til I got this game. Any game requires some degree of skill, but any one can have success.

If you have no skill at both this game and Counter Strike, you will do bad in most matches you participate in and make your teammates annoyed with you.

Since things are most chaotic with the majority of game modes, I suggest playing S&D. Not because it most reminds me of CS bomb objective maps, but because it's easier to find the person who is causing you to lose, just like in CS:S. That way you can easily find out who doesn't have skill and send him angry messages over a game.
---
HP Pavilion | Windows 7 | 700 gb HDD | 17' lcd display | Speakers | 3 USB Ports | HDMI port | Wireless-N | DVD/CD Read/Write
#46Rome218Posted 11/29/2012 9:43:47 AM(edited)
Did you guys just call Team Fortress a casual game? When I hear TF, I do not think of TF 2. I haven't played that.

I think of Quake TF. How was that a casual game? That for it's time was very sophisticated and required a lot of teamwork during a time no one had a microphone.

Do you know how clan battles were handled? We each had to set up an assignment where we worked in practice; whether you're on offense or defense. Then we had to bind important instructions to keys, because typing was not an effective way to communicate. So on defense, if I were defending the spirals of a map like 2fort5, I can bind a key like j to make me say "Incoming SPIRAL!!!" and I would tap it over and over if I die to get my teammates' attention.

If you think playing as a scout on offense is easy, you're crazy. Some games were very defense oriented and we'd win or lose 3-1 or something small in that number.
---
HP Pavilion | Windows 7 | 700 gb HDD | 17' lcd display | Speakers | 3 USB Ports | HDMI port | Wireless-N | DVD/CD Read/Write
#47epicfailtryhardPosted 11/29/2012 9:43:39 AM
lag...in a word. dumb luck. that about covers it. when i press shoot and ithe information must go to the host, then to the person i'm shooting and back to me....well, there you have it. it never ceases to amaze me. how badly some people will cling to the notion that their k/d or w/l says something about who they are. the wails of denial when they are called upon to recognize some truths about their beliefs. weird.
---
"do you ever think about the other side and who is waiting for you there?"-the drift by dawn crosby
#48Rome218Posted 11/29/2012 9:46:58 AM
epicfailtryhard posted...
lag...in a word. dumb luck. that about covers it. when i press shoot and ithe information must go to the host, then to the person i'm shooting and back to me....well, there you have it. it never ceases to amaze me. how badly some people will cling to the notion that their k/d or w/l says something about who they are. the wails of denial when they are called upon to recognize some truths about their beliefs. weird.

While I don't think k/d is the best measurement of skill; especially in objective games, it is really what most people look at to get an idea of how good the player can handle himself. Or how well he can get kills, for that matter.

I take into consideration lag, and I take into greater consideration that we're all going to experience it. So those who can still overcome with a high k/d ratio, I don't feel there is a need to have some kind of astrix on it because lag is in a game. If you're in a lobby that is lagging really bad, leave it if it doesn't migrate host. People here say that being host is bad.. not my experience at all.
---
#49epicfailtryhardPosted 11/29/2012 9:49:46 AM
watch your killcam. discuss it with someone who has the capacity to be honest. it's not rocket science.
---
"do you ever think about the other side and who is waiting for you there?"-the drift by dawn crosby
#50Lunacy182Posted 11/29/2012 9:57:39 AM
As a COD hater I want to say COD requires a lot of skill. stop pretending otherwise.
---
The above text is the opinion of the poster.
"How do I screen shot real life?" - Xeeh_Bitz